Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Exporting to HTML issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry if this is in the wrong topic. I’ve written quite a large program which works perfectly fine when broadcasting to my iPhone but I exported the file to HTML the other day for the first time and whilst playing my app on Microsoft edge browser the screen occasionally goes blank for a few seconds.

Note : I’ve tried chrome and Firefox and both don’t run the program at all. I’ve tried both dynamic memory on and off. My program is tier 1 and very basic, 2d sprites that’s all, it’s basically a card game with footballer sprites kicking a ball about. The blank screen happens at the same point in my game where the opponent is thinking of a move. Any help would be appreciated
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2018 14:22 Edited at: 5th Oct 2018 14:36
Try to recreate the issues with the smallest version of your project as possible. Make a copy of the project and start removing stuff in bulk as much as you can. This will make it so either you find the section(s) that are causing the problems OR get to the point where you have a tiny project you can post here so we can take a look at it.

I have encountered only a very few issues with exports to HTML5 and use it very often along with desktop builds. I know transparency should be explicitly set on spriites exactly as you want it enabled, disabled etc because the default doesn't actually seem to work. Also I encountered an issue where I had a blank display when using a render image and had to explicitly add an extra sync() outside the main loop in that function updating a render image despite this not being needed on the desktop build. So there definitely is some different behavior. Maybe these things have been fixed now I do not know.

Probably should report them but as a developer I am so used to running into bugs in everything I use. Doesn't matter if it is Visual Studio, Unity, AppGameKit or anything else... including the web browser applications and even the very operating systems themselves... everything has bugs in it.

Anyway give that a try and if you can't sort it out... when you get the project stripped down to a very small skeleton that still has the issues post it (you can replace your graphics with solid rectangles etc as desired).
Doveyy04
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks for your detailed reply, very much appreciated. I know whereabouts the issue is as it happens at the same point each time, problem is the area of that code is massive and is probably the reason why it’s going blank, I was thinking it was just struggling to cope with it as I thought it generally would when I wrote it but broadcasting to iPhone has been fine.

Basically the area of code is where I get computer AI to look for the best move possible using up to 5 cards from the 10 cards available, so it will go through all possibilities starting with for instance card 1-2-3-4-5 then 1-2-3-4-6 etc so the number of possible moves as you can expect is massive. I guess i was hoping someone else had a similar issue and was aware there’s a limitation with html. It’s no big deal anyway I think as I’ve coded the game for mobile devices but as I have no android device the only way I could think of being able to share the file for the community to test the game was to export to html then upload to Dropbox or something? I think I need to export to android to see if I get the same issue.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2018 01:22 Edited at: 7th Oct 2018 01:22
Alright good luck with it. If you can't track it down try the process described earlier. At the least if you can trim it down to a small size and still have the issue you can post it here and people will be able to take a look and try to sort out what is going on.
It's just one of those things where there is no way to even guess what is happening (well sure people can blindly guess but most likely be completely wrong) without seeing it being able to reproduce it and having the code available to troubleshoot.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:24:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:24:01