Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Software Capabilities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hey all,

The developers responded to an email I sent asking this question and said I may want to post here for answers. I'm interested in developing a program/game for educational usage that can display equations with subscripts, exponents, greek letters, radicals etc. I know this is a capability Unity has with plugins, and HTML pages can handle TEX formatted strings to display equations. Can this platform (using the basic or c languages they advertise) do something similar?

Hopefully you are more helpful than the one guy on the Steam forums who basically only said 'I don't see why not'. Not super helpful.

Thank for responses

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 13th Oct 2018 03:33 Edited at: 13th Oct 2018 03:42
AGK has the LoadFont( iFontID, szFontFile ) command which potentially you could load any font even a custom one using tier1 or tier2
without the need of any plugins. There is an extensive command set for text that will help in positioning coloring etc and if you don't have
a font that can support the mathematical symbols for example you could always use sprites which is another great advantage with AGK's
extensive command set.

If you do some searching on the forums you will see plenty of examples. but most people refrain from using particular fonts because unless
you share the font with the code there is a good chance it wont look the same on different machines.

Exporting to HTML 5 works very well and I have personally published games with no problems to html, but prefer apk files for android as that
is my main interest.

Altho it has all of the text commands needed I would personally recommend using spritesheets that have all of the alphabet/numbers/symbols
etc that you need as it can look allot nicer and they are very quick to create and will work on all platforms the same in the future without users
needing to install fonts. For this ide personally recommend a free paint tool https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ and there is probably
people who are willing to share their sprite sheets with you

GOODLUCK
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 13th Oct 2018 05:07 Edited at: 13th Oct 2018 05:27
Also if you decide to use the font method
you could use GetFontExists( iFontID ) to determine if the font has been loaded correctly if not direct the user to a website
where they can install the font and try and load the font again that way would ensure people would have the correct font
installed and your program will look fine to them

Has a list of the commands available to AppGameKit there may be others that are not on the lists due to constant updates to AppGameKit and not to the help files
https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/home.html

Pseudocode

Character map is installed on all windows machines and is a great way to see what characters exist in a particular font
fubar
Rbumgarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the response. I'm still new to the process and the software so it may take me some time to get to a point where I can investigate the workability of your response but I appreciate it nonetheless. I was mostly interested in finding out if it WAS possible and it seems like you think so. The game creators have furnished my classroom with an educational license so I'll be trying out the software soon. I'll update if I ever end up with a solid solution.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:08:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:08:38