Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] What is the syntax for using .find for multidimensional arrays?? Or do we need to loop through the dimensions ourselves in such a case?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 14:22 Edited at: 15th Oct 2018 14:32
I would like to find the index of where a map tile was stored from a map[a,b] type array;

map[1,1] = tile1
map[1,2] = tile2
map[1,3] = tile3
map[2,1] = tile4
map[2,2] = tile5
map[2,3] = tile6
map[3,1] = tile7
map[3,2] = tile8
map[3,3] = tile9

I would like to use map.find(tile1....9), but that gives a syntax error. It apparently wants something like map[n].find(object_ID) instead.

Quote: "main.agc:2151: error: Cannot search arrays of arrays, use more dimensions to search a sub array"

...now map[mposindat,nposindat] of course does return the correct tile object ID with the above work-around doing the search myself. But am I missing something, can we not use .find for multidimensional arrays??

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, sorry for these newbie questions, but I'm still learning AGK2.
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 15:01
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Well, find() only works reliably on a sorted list. All the tile indices would have to be in numerical order which they wouldnt be in a tilemap.

A tilemap wont be sorted at all so .find becomes pointless anyway.

Best to simply use a nested set of compares accross x and y in the map.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah okey, thanks Bengismo ! Yeah, the tile map is only in numerical order for as long as a single row would be. So I guess there is no good order then.

Guess I have to use the work-around code then for checking neighboring tiles etc. Not a big deal.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:50:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:50:28