Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Virtual hands with two Smartphones as game controller without VR on a PC

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2018 08:32
The idea is, to be able to have something like Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons or the Vive / Ocuculs / Mixed Reality Headset hand-controllers, but without the need of the Headset itself.
Why? I tested the Mixed Reality Headset and didn't get it to work. No AVX or if AVX, no driver for the graphics card and so on. And also, can't have VR-goggles a long time on. I get headache.

I am sitting on a PC, programming and have some older mobile phones laying around. They are not able vor AR-core thinglies. Android 4.1 and 6.0.

So here is the idea:

- APK with something, that tracks the orientation of the phone
- and via ... I don't know, I guess, like a multiplayer thingly, communicate with the game on the PC
- PC would have a cube or two, which can turn around.

It is more like the mobile phone as a gamepad, but not for buttons, but for the gyroscope and accelerometer.

Maybe the thumb could do a finger or something, but it could be a button when pressing on the touchscreen on the phone's display.

Is there a simple solution for that? Or would it be a completly Server-Client-thingly with all the networking things to implement?

--> I don't get the positioning sensors from Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons, or do I in an easy way? It is not an axis. I get left Joy-Con (left) and the right Joy-Con (right) and can use all (I guess, not the Screenshot and Home-Button) the buttons with AppGameKit and the thumbstick.

Did somebuddy tried to use a phone as a gamepad or so?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2018 09:14
using the LAN/WiFi setup for server-client it's very easy to do, i had a test game before where i used my phone as a replacement for one of those old style arcade guns you use to shoot at the screen with.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2018 12:57
Thx. Yeah. I used the networking-example and it really worked from the start, without any changes. Have to implement the motion-thingly and it could work

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:24:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:24:57