Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / About official tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2018 05:57 Edited at: 9th Nov 2018 10:26
I have just started to learn AppGameKit after getting frustrated with the current state of GML2. As I have +3 years background developing and programming in GML in addition to other tools and major in CS I’m asking if those official tutorial books will be helpful or too basic to learn how efficiently develop games with AppGameKit?

Thx!
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2018 09:56
Most of them are aimed at complete beginners yes, I think there's a more intermediate book but I think most are more about just explaining the commands and how to use them, rather than "this is the best method for such and such", though it does give examples for most stuff, it's more of a way to show the command in use.
I would just give AGk a try and use the help feature (F1 on any command automatically brings up the desired doc) and see how you get on.
You can always get the books later if you decide a certain topic needs more cover.
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2018 07:52
Of course, I admit to being a little biased, but I certainly hope the books are thought off as a more than just covering the AppGameKit instructions set. And althoughVol#1 starts out by explaining the very fundamentals of programming it does go far beyond that. It does end up suggesting a general format for
many of the programs you are likely to write as well as using that structure to produce complete games.

But you can find out if the style of the books are to your liking by downloading the first eight chapters for free. There's a link in AGK's IDE Help menu.
w0rm
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the answers! I'll try and see how far I'm able to get with all the examples available.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:08:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:08:56