Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AppGameKit VR / Oculus GO

Author
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2018 03:04 Edited at: 17th Nov 2018 03:08
Hi, has anybody experience in running AppGameKit VR apps on the Oculus GO?
After sideloading an app and starting it, it crashes immediatelly with an "unable to load AGKVR" message...
What are the steps to make an AppGameKit VR app Oculus GO ready?
Thanks in advance!
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2018 16:46 Edited at: 17th Nov 2018 16:53
AGK VR won't work with the Oculus Go, it's a different system. AppGameKit VR is compatible with OpenVR whereas Oculus Go is Gear VR ( with a few additions ). *edit* or to be more specific Gear VR is powered by Oculus and Oculus supply the SDK's
Space Dream Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm, actually a “normal” AppGameKit app is running well, but only in the “TV” resources section. The crash and error message occurs only with VR made apps....
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2018 17:57
Quote: "The crash and error message occurs only with VR made apps...."

Yes because as said, AppGameKit VR is not compatible with the Oculus Go
Space Dream Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Makes no sense, AppGameKit it self works, but the VR add on not anymore, on a popular VR glases?
Paul, any comments?
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2018 19:48 Edited at: 17th Nov 2018 19:54
Hmm, I don't think you understand. The AppGameKit VR plugin supports the API of OpenVR or more to the point SteamVR ( HTC Vive / Oculus Rift ).

The Oculus Go does not support OpenVR / SteamVR and so the AppGameKit VR plugin does not work with the Oculus Go. No further explanation needed really
Space Dream Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2018 20:10 Edited at: 17th Nov 2018 20:11
Lol, may be you are right and I‘m just too stupid... LOL
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2018 21:24
if AppGameKit runs you can use your own version of VR to workaround the issue, there's some threads on the subject here already for how to make your own (basically just rendering the screen twice, 1 for each eye) - as said, the official DLC only supports open/steam VR, it may get updated in future but it's not a bug.
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2018 05:04
@smallg - What you say is true, you can use AppGameKit as is to create an Oculus Go game by rendering each eye at different angles, but in order to publish a game on the Oculus store the game has to run at a minimum of 60FPS for a certain period of time or else it is refused. The methods presented on this forum are pretty cool but unfortunately do not stand much chance of meeting that requirement unless the scene is super simple. There is also no way of doing Fixed Foveated Rendering or enabling 72hz mode with the built in AppGameKit commands.

I think AppGameKit could work well on Oculus Go / Gear VR but in order to do so it would need a dedicated and decently optimised plugin.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2018 18:42 Edited at: 18th Nov 2018 18:44
In order to get your app running on an oculus go, you need a custom AppGameKit Player.
Add:
- GearVRf
- OculusSDK Mobile
both can be found on git.

Then try to get the GearVRf demo apps running first, It does also explain where to put the OculusSDK.
Now you need to merge the GearVRf into AGK. First I changed all AGKT2 paths that requested upper level files (../../Filename.type) to subfolders inside the AppGameKit project, this was quite nasty, as I did it from hand. You also need to know how to use the android.mk file.

If someone really want to try it: Do not update gradle at any time, if you get asked by Android Studio.

Then you need to bypass the AppGameKit openGL context creation and refer to the glcontext created by the GearVRf, in order to use the maximal power out of it.
Then you need some sort of jni interface optimation (the interface between AppGameKit c++ and Java), as AppGameKit does too many jni calls and jni calls are very expensive.
Once you also have the proper manifest settings, you can compile, at least AppGameKit Tier2 to an Oculus go/ GearVR, using the native oculus rendering method.
Would be quite nice to do this from Tier1.

I researched this topic some time ago, and my only problem was to bypass the glcontext creation and refer to the oculus context, so I helped me out by creating a second glcontext for AppGameKit and pass all data orientation data over jni and do a custom stereoscopical rendering in AGKT2, but this method gives a small delay and a great amount of heat, because you have actually two renderings up and running, so I dropped it. Better use the native Oculus OpenGL context to send your rendering tasks to it.

I think, with the help of Paul, it would be done in some days. I know, it's doable in AppGameKit Tier2 Android Studio, if you got the proper information about openGL and GearVRf.

I think a Custom player for Oculus Go would be nice to have.

[/url]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:26:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:26:05