Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Whats the best algorythm for steering with the gyro that steers less the faster you go

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 26th Nov 2018 10:04
Quote: "I am really after a good algorithm for understeer/oversteer using the gyro"

at the moment im just thinking if I was heading down a straight fast the car might understeer a little
that way it wouldn't be so touchy as you was going fast down the track and you would have to slow
and steer allot more to make a corner. Im not sure if I have the wrong idea here but not sure of the
algorithm I should apply

BY DEFINITION

UNDERSTEER
It means lack of grip. When this happens, the driver will have little response from the steering wheel.
It takes place when the vehicle’s front wheels begin to plow straight despite turning the steering wheel.
Front-wheel-drive cars are prone to this phenomenon because they send the engine power to the wheels that steer the car. So, when the tires start, the driver does not feel any grip to steer.
It most commonly happens due to accelerating early while turning in a corner. You lift the weight distribution that takes the control off of the front tires and leads to understeer.
It can also occur when you turn the wheels on your car too fast and too far.
Applying more suspension or increasing front wing can minimize the understeer. Tire pressure adjustment also helps sometimes.
OVERSTEER
It happens when the front side of a vehicle has more grip than the back side. It makes the car to spin when driving into a corner.
Oversteer is the result of the rear end of a car being fishtailed or sliding out.
Rear-wheel-cars are susceptible to oversteer because here the rear end of the car has the control power. So, when the rear end loses the grip, it overtakes the front and oversteer occurs.
Oversteer is not something to be concerned over because it happens in everyday driving. However, it could be dangerous if occurs in snowy, muddy, or rainy conditions.
You have to do the opposite to fix this problem. You have to loosen the suspension or downforce to drop the grip.

Thanks for any feedback/help/suggestions etc
fubar
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2018 11:18
Work out your speed as a % of your top speed then adjust the steering by that.
You may want to adjust the result a bit to ensure it feels more accurate but it's probably the easiest and smoothly transitions with speed changes.

I.e. top speed is 100
Current speed is 30
30/100 = 0.3
Because we want slower speeds to be better turning we adjust our % to invert the value
1 - 0.3 = 0.7
Max Steering is 5
5 * 0.7 = 3.5

So we would turn at 3.5 instead of 5.

The only issue is that at top speed we would be unable to turn so you will likely want to adjust the value to ensure it never gets below a certain value.
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2018 16:59 Edited at: 26th Nov 2018 17:51
Thanks smallg

Playing with that I get

as you see tho it still needs work
fubar
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2018 18:43
try this
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2018 22:43 Edited at: 27th Nov 2018 15:30
Oh yes thanks that works quite well

and if you change

to

It really demonstrates what I wanted and possibly a hint into how this could be achieved in 3D
Thanks Again
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:40:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:40:48