Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / The Traveler (working title) (another somewhat smaller project to basically learn AGK2 a bit better)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

Basically just another tile based game. Haven't quite decided yet where this goes in terms of gameplay. Maybe something in the survival genre, not sure.

Do any of you have some ideas about how to best do level loading from the regular /media folder on mobile?? I'm not done with the level editing yet, but eventually I'm going to load levels from files for the regular game.

Not sure how to do this when it will search in the 'hidden' folder on mobile 'only'?
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2018 18:03
Hey.

It doesn't search the hidden, or write folder, only......if you crate a folder in the media one called levels it will load all the data from that, unless it can't find the file you ask for, THEN it checks the write folder and loads from there. So for example, the game could have stock levels that load from your folder, then levels the user creates or downloads in the write folder......but it always loads from the default folder first.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great! Thanks Santman, yeah then that should work!
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline

Kind of an incremental update only. Saving and loading works fairly fast now. Changed the perspective a bit, offset the camera and cleaned some stuff up.

Have to add spawn points for the player and enemies next and some code that prevents walking over water hahah.

Anyone know how I can do an easier 'save as..' functionality? At the moment the file already needs to exist if I want to allow a user to pick the file using ChooseRawFile. Any tricks?

Its not too important as its mostly just a convenient thing as I am about to make a bunch of levels for my small game.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2018 23:43
I use "raw:C:\MyFolder\MyFile.txt" on Windows or "raw:/sdcard/Documents/MyFile.txt" on Android for my goork game...
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Cliff! Yeah, I've decided I'm just going to use the media/levels/ folder I add to my game for now. But from the looks of it, it's only really possible to have a level editor for end users on mobile when they have an sdcard anyway.
I'm aware stuff can be written into the hidden folder, but assuming people would want to play levels created by others it would be a bit tougher. Maybe if I've got time I'd work on a 'level import' function so it can support user created levels / maybe even mods, but doesn't have a high priority for now.

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2019 14:02 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2019 14:05
Some progress:

Added a button to switch on / off level editing mode. But should now focus on some more gameplay stuff first I think, before I have to redo entire levels. A bit of a chicken and egg problem I guess.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline

Some progress in terms of movement code and animation.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Some procedural generation in progress now :

Slowly starting to look quite acceptable for the type of game I have in mind.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 22:55 Edited at: 6th Jan 2019 22:55
Some additional character art done. Not sure how this will be added in the final game (playable or not).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline

Decided the dog will be playable (for now). We will see how this goes Feel free to critique or make suggestions. Haven't quite decided on gameplay elements yet.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Still working on this project, although time has been limited. But at least I'm inching closer to implementing some gameplay now. Also, still some bugs in regenerating levels, causing a freeze up. I know why though (in short; too much randomness seems to create an endless loop once every 20 times or so at the moment) :

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:14:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:14:01