Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / OUYA / Razer Forge Store

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 14:21
The OUYA which is now Razer's Cortex store hasn't responded to any of my updates for over a year now. Is the store dead? Has anyone been able to successfully add an app with them or update an existing app lately? There is no talk of the Cortex Android store anywhere on their forums and Razer hasn't responded to any of my emails.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 18:40 Edited at: 6th Jan 2019 18:43
The Cortex Store is not opened for submissions or updates since 31-12-2017

Last submission here
http://view.connect.razerzone.com/?qs=ef621db06356afccb88607bde5e8e9db5661856431202af7d37b30e9b0545fcd728f846c1a7c91398ed8b9ea608ca4c7e936a6382a5b9ff3db4b6caed8682f6f568c7b9313c67adc

We organized a little group in facebook, but not all are developers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2049043218701395/

The idea is, to create a new launcher and maybe a new store. Mostly new games are sideloaded and downloaded from HumbleBundle, Steam or Amazon-Store-App.

You can buy games on the OUYA, but you can't register new credit card information and developers are not able to update there apps / games

Also for the Razer ForgeTV a lot switched to Android TV Store.

Parry
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 19:05
Wow thanks for the info.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 19:20
@Parry

I was also working on a game with AppGameKit for the OUYA since 2014, and my first shock was, that the OUYA store "closed" and was migrated in some parts to Razer and you had to re-upload the games to the Cortex Store.
And after buying a ForgeTV in mid 2016 and trying things out and using the forgeTV board and so on, they announced in mid 2017 or so, that they will close the store at the end of the year for new games. You will be able to buy things and download things, but you can't upload new things or update older games.

So I thought, that my way would be, to upload the game than to AndroidTV somehow. But for the OUYA, it was a problem with new games since the end of 2015 or so, when Razer created the Cortex for the ForgeTV. At first, you could upload the game for the OUYA store and or the ForgeTV Cortex, but after some month, you only could upload the game to the new store.

And at this moment, I guess, a lot would use also the nVIDIA shield TV store or AndroidTV store. Problem for OUYA users is the limitation of Android 4.1 and the ForgeTV was updated to AndroidTV 6.0
But you could update the flash storage with a USB stick or something like that on the OUYA, but not on the ForgeTV. The USB 3.0 port was useless, only works with XBox 360 wired controller, but not with any flash drives or other things.

And maybe the next leap for a good App / game would be the Nintendo Switch. Or if you want to upload your game for OUYA users the easiest way, itch.to could be an option at this moment.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 20:13

CLICK TO SELECT FORGE AS
A SUPPORTED DEVICE

The simplest way to submit your OUYA-Everywhere-enabled game
on Cortex - Razer's game and app storefront on Forge TV - is to go into
your developer portal, click "Edit" on the game in question, and click the
little "Razer Forge TV" radio button under the "Device Compatibility" dropdown.
If you think your game may need some extra love
(and you haven't repackaged your game with the latest OUYA Everywhere ODK in a while) then read on...

------------------------------------
From: Razer Cortex Developer Newsletter, 22.4.2016 (April of 2016)

Getting up and running on Forge TV
It's easy to get your game on Cortex.
In fact, we've drafted up a quick and dirty set of directions
to get your OUYA game up and running on Cortex and Forge TV.

And important!:

Phasing out OUYA Submissions in June
As mentioned in the Insider AMA last year,
the Razer engineering team will eventually phase out OUYA device services
in order to concentrate support on Razer Forge TV. In the last week of June,
OUYA consoles will no longer be selectable for new game submissions.

-------------------------------

So that was the OUYA live.

Kickstarter in 2012, Launch in 2013, transfered to Razer in 2015, no submissions in 2016 in the OUYA-Store, and last new game for Cortex in 2017.

Tegra 3 in my humble opinion is still capable of Playstation 2 like graphics, or XBox (classic) like graphics or GameCube / Wii graphics. And in the same range like the Raspberry Pi.

I guess, good games need more time than the lifespand was. I could talk on and on, that e.g. It took Sony about 8 years from God of War III to God of War 4. And 5 years after the launch of the Playstation 4.
And what about Uncharted 4? From Uncharted 3 to 4 it took also about 5 years, and ~ 3 years after launch. What about "The Last of Us"? It came out for PS3 and was only converted to PS4. And the next "The Last of Us" is not out yet.

So I guess, some big games need there 3 to 5 years in the production pipeline. And at this moment they know, what the hardware could do. So the OUYA could get some great games, but ... maybe Steam was to good in 2013 for Indie-Devs.
Also at this moment there where to many platforms for developers. Like VR, Touch / iPads, XBox One with UWP, and also Windows 8 with a new Store. I also think of Alexa Skills, and FireTV Store and so on ...

And the RetroPie and RetroArch scene was there and wanted to play the old games or have the best graphics.

Also the problems with the "OUYA free the game fund" and so on ... it still has a place in my heart.

Oh, and Minecraft was announced, but never came to the OUYA. Also Telltale Games wanted to port bring "The Walking Dead" to the OUYA, but that also didn't happened.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/199068/Telltale_bringing_Walking_Dead_to_Ouya.php

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/198973/tales_of_porting_games_to_.php

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console?lang=de
Quote: "“If OUYA delivers on the promise of being the first true open gaming platform that gives indie developers access to the living room gaming market, yes that is a great idea. We will follow the development of OUYA and see how it resonates with gamers. I could see all current Mojang games go on the platform if there's a demand for it.” – Mojang (developer of Minecraft) "

So ... yeah, never hapened, but there was also the "YouTube-Boom" and the hype for some next consoles. 2013 was a hard year for everyone, I guess.

Someday I will make a video documentation about these years of the OUYA. Someday ...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:43:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:43:46