Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [ BUG ] version 2019-01-08 - IDE on Mac slow and blurry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2019 01:58
The IDE on MacOS ( Mojave ) has issues for the last two releases.

The text is blurry and the scroll speed is very slow. It results in it being virtually unusable as even command short cuts for copy / paste randomly work.

I can replace the two Geany files from a previous version and that makes the IDE fine again but I don't know if doing that breaks anything else?. But, still a bug which needs squishing.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2019 16:39
It seems the slow down happened when we updated to MacOS 10.14, the geany-bin executable is using way too much CPU to scroll but I can't figure out why. I tried compiling it with the 10.12 SDK but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I'm not sure if there is anything we can do to fix it. Copying the old executables would lose the changes to iOS exporting meaning the IPAs may not be valid for Apple's latest changes, but otherwise nothing else has changed in the IDE.

I couldn't replicate the blurry text, but it may be related to retina displays which I don't have to test. It may also be related to the change to 10.14.
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2019 18:18
Perhaps TGC need to buy you a retina mac as the last two releases have been unusable as the IDE is so slow now
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Just for what it's worth, I can confirm the slow scrolling on a late 2012 iMac 27", unfortunately it's no retina iMac so no blurry texts here either. I do hope the slow scrolling will get fixed. The only 'work around' now seems to just click the scroll bar and drag that to scroll.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2019 22:54 Edited at: 9th Jan 2019 22:54
I believe If you copy an older version of the editor into the new install it will fix the problem
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2019 21:19
Quote: "I believe If you copy an older version of the editor into the new install it will fix the problem"

Paul says doing this will break iOS exporting so depending on your needs its not a total solution unfortunately.
appymedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to chime in here I have a MacBookPro with retina display and the text is blurry but if I hook up my non retina display there text isn't blurry so it does indeed seem retina related. Scroll speed is like everyone else's and the editor is in general unusable right now.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2019 17:48
Can you try the attached file and see if the scrolling is any better. From my tests it seems to be better than the current version but not as good as the old versions

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2019 18:24 Edited at: 15th Jan 2019 18:26
I have a MacBook Pro 2015 running Mojave and the editor is usable with no issues on scrolling, however the text is blurry on Retina display as I think this is an issue with the version of the IDE being used. If it could be updated to the latest version of Geany then I don't think you would have the issue with the blurry font as it seems to fix this and looks good on the retina Mac.

Also every time I run the IDE it installs the additional files again even though they have not been updated which is a bit of a pain.
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2019 19:43
@Paul - Replacing the geany-bin helps a little but it's still very slow scrolling on my iMac 27" 2017 ( Mojave ).

If I replace the the file geany with an older version and geany-bin with the supplied version then it's a little faster still but not as fast as if I replace with both old geany and geany-bin files.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2019 22:30
Quote: " every time I run the IDE it installs the additional files again even though they have not been updated"

That would suggest that the IDE can't write its settings file in /Users/username/.config/agk/ so it can't record that it's already updated. Can you check that location and see if there are any files there and if they have been updated recently. It is a hidden folder so you may need to change some settings to view it.

Quote: "Replacing the geany-bin helps a little but it's still very slow scrolling"

Yeah that's what I'm seeing, unfortunately I can't see any way forward to improve it further. I tried the latest version of Geany and it too seemed to be better than our most recent version but not as good as our old versions, similar to the version I attached above, so maybe there is hope that they can figure out what has happened. Can you try downloading it from here and see if you experience the same problem with that?

It all seemed to change after we updated to XCode 10 with the 10.14 SDK, but reinstalling XCode 9.2 which we used for the old version doesn't seem to have any improvement in the final executable, so maybe that's just a coincidence.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2019 22:51
Is this scrolling issue specifically for Geany or is it a general problem?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2019 23:45
It's just related to the IDE
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2019 00:15
I'm thinking if there is a github product that scrolls, and doesn't have that problem, then maybe you could look at that code and see whats different to your code
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2019 00:38
Quote: "That would suggest that the IDE can't write its settings file in /Users/username/.config/agk/ so it can't record that it's already updated. Can you check that location and see if there are any files there and if they have been updated recently. It is a hidden folder so you may need to change some settings to view it.
"

Yes there are files in there with some recent ones, recent ones being mainly Geany_socket..... files.
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2019 05:30
Quote: "Can you try downloading it from here and see if you experience the same problem with that?"

If I copy and paste source code into the geany app you linked too then it's crystal clear text wise and the scrolling whilst not silky smooth is easily acceptable. I still think geany is using way too many CPU cycles as a simple text editor should not feel slow so clearly there is an issue with geany on MacOS. Very odd on how it's performing considering the power of modern PC's.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2019 14:56
Quote: "maybe you could look at that code and see whats different to your code"

Unfortunately it's not my code, it's either Geany or Scintilla that are causing the slow down and I can't work out which part of their code is causing the problem

Quote: "Yes there are files in there with some recent ones, recent ones being mainly Geany_socket..... files"

If the geany.conf file hasn't updated recently then the IDE isn't writing settings for some reason. Try deleting the entire .config/agk/ folder whilst the IDE is closed and then reopen it

Quote: " I still think geany is using way too many CPU cycles"

I agree, but I can't isolate which part of the code is responsible, so unfortunately I can't make any progress.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2019 20:14
Quote: "If the geany.conf file hasn't updated recently then the IDE isn't writing settings for some reason. Try deleting the entire .config/agk/ folder whilst the IDE is closed and then reopen it"

Yes the Geany.conf file had not been updated since Feb 2018! Deleted the folder and reopened it. It created a new folder with a keybindings.conf file in it but not creating a Geany.conf file. Every time I close and open AppGameKit now it comes up with the install additional files screen and for me also to set the folders for these files every time.
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2019 22:28
I tried out AppGameKit via Bootcamp and in Windows the IDE speed is absolutely fine. This is odd as it's still the same 5K resolution. Guess this definitely proves it's a MacOS thing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:46:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:46:30