Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Full-Map Single Mesh Segment

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2019 17:57 Edited at: 19th Jan 2019 18:04
Just wanting to share this for anyone doing something similar? One large single mesh/segment for the entire map level.
Working on a project that got me thinking of trying this. For anyone doing an adventure/mystery/puzzle type games where only the
player ( or very few npc's ) are needed, and an "outdoor" type scene is wanted, then this will work with some effort put into it.
Using a single segment/mesh for the entire map cuts-down on segment resources tremendously (my entire mesh was less than 100k)
But a single texture for this was quite large ( 4096x4096 ) +16megs. Larger for more detail, but worth it

I used a "terrain" creator/maker ( many out there, some free, some cheap ) I used "EarthSculpter" which I purchased for creating
larger textures ( over 1024x1024) but the demo is enough to get started. It has it's pros & cons, but for a very specific type of play it works great.
I still had to open the texture in Gimp and add extra detail, created the files to turn it into a single segment, play with the lighting, add sun-rays..etc
Npc's will drop/sink thru the mesh unless you use Rolfy's suggestions ( appearnogravity scripts ) then using one or two at a time is ok and works.

Yes, still needs lots of work But has many possibilities

Edit: for got to mention this mesh is about 30x30, so I could/can make it much larger ?
Also... most trees were made using "Alfresco" hint,hint...thanks Explosys
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
Kuryle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2019 19:15
Hi

Quote: "Just wanting to share this for anyone doing something similar? "

I tried once to make a big map (Cave ), using parts as entities. It was too complicated. I made also one piece of mesh 14x8 segments. Again, I have used this mesh as entity (As far I know, segments can be max only 3x3 to work properly).
BTW. I only use the modular approach when making the map level in FPSC. It's easier than making a whole map in 3d program.Pros: fast, no collision problems. Rendering suitable for FPSC ; Cons: More polygons on scene, due to repeating each piece

Quote: "I used a "terrain" creator/maker ( many out there, some free, some cheap ) I used "EarthSculpter" which I purchased for creating
larger textures ( over 1024x1024) but the demo is enough to get started."

In Blender you can make a map using a high map texture (Blender generate geometry from texture). In most cases, white is high level, black is low level. There are modifires in program, that will allow you to do this very easy (If you are familiar with this software ).

Quote: "But a single texture for this was quite large ( 4096x4096 ) +16megs."

Usually (for FPSC) I make separate mesh for each texture (512 size of one single texture) rock, grass, concrete etc. Resize uv mesh in 3d software program and use "layer" option in segment settings file (for "glue" them together). This method will alow to reduce texture size, and make it less blur. But the final result is like a game done in 1999 - 2005...You can see where each kind of terrain ends.

Other only if game engine allow to use vertex colors

In attachments you can see my efforts with bigger mesh

Attachments

Login to view attachments
superunixstudio
Years of Service
User Offline
How did you make this island with hills? and how did you make this water?
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 10:48
@ Kuryle Yes, way too many problems with characters "sinking" into the floor/mesh. This method only work wells if doing something
where only the player is used, no npc's at all ( like an adventure or puzzle game ) ?

@ superunixstudio I used "EarthSculpter" to make the landscape mesh. Then imported it either as a static entity or in my case I turned it into a "segment".
Quote: " and how did you make this water?"

Fpsc already has the water feature built in. Do you mean something else?
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
superunixstudio
Years of Service
User Offline
I just didn't know how to make water in fpsc...
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 19th Feb 2019 21:10 Edited at: 19th Feb 2019 21:21
I didn't even know we had that animation available!

I hope I get this right.
Place a TriggerZone in your level.
In the TriggerZone properties, select the water script from scriptbank/waterscripts/water
Use the script to change the water properties.
I'm not sure how waterheightofzone works but if you can't play around with it and figure it out, just ask again.

EDIT: With waterheightofzone , use a negative number to lower the water and a positive number to raise it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:55:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:55:17