Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / EXtends on App Game KIT - "RealTime Sky System Work in progress"

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 21:13
I must admit that it is a true pain to port the Sky System from DarkBASIC Professional to AppGameKit for many reasons :
- Some DarkBASIC Professional commands are missing
- Some similar ones does not work the same way in both DBP & APPGK

So, I restarted nearly from scratch ... But I get good progress

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 21:14
2nd capture.

Attachments

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 21:16
nice sky - texture, shader or agk no media required code??
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 16:23
I would love to see a video of it.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 19:54 Edited at: 26th Jan 2019 20:21
@Puzzler2018 :
It uses a definition file defining files to use for sun, moon, stars, clouds, halos, and ground.
It can also handle some extra parameters from the files.
3DObjects, Textures but no shaders

@Haliop_new :
Soonly I hope.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2019 23:15
Good news!

It's nearly ready !

Here is a small video for the pleasure of everyone :

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/UxvRG1u3VIg[/video]
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2019 23:32 Edited at: 29th Jan 2019 23:35
[vi deo=youtube]UxvRG1u3VIg[/video]

http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 00:14
WOW - nice work - is that agk or shader Ortu
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 00:17 Edited at: 30th Jan 2019 00:17
for AppGameKit developers we simple could have an inverted normalised sphere which shows image of a sky inside of a sphere and rotate the huge sphere as we move around

Thats how i would do it
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 04:26
Quote: "WOW - nice work - is that agk or shader Ortu"

It's Freddix's video, I was just showing how to link it properly to embed the player.

Freddix wrote: "3DObjects, Textures but no shaders"

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 08:36 Edited at: 30th Jan 2019 08:36
@Ortu :
If I understant, the button to insert a youtube video is deffective ?
Thank you for the correct view of my video.

@Puzzler2018 :
I understand but, with the RTSkySystem from eXtends, it will be possible to create beautiful custom sky system.
The system works using 3D models and textures.
Textures are setup using a .x4r ascii file that contains the name of the files to use for specific part of the Sky System.
No shader at all.

@All :
I don't know in which format I will release it but, as I want it to be useable in all supports (Android, PC, iOS, MacOS), it will probably be in 'AppGameKit source code' format

Regards,
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 12:45
It's not defective, just not intuitive.

It wants the unique identifier which is part of the url, not the url itself: UxvRG1u3VIg

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 13:44
This is looking interesting. It seems a bit choppy though, and not sure if that is the video or the app. I'm curious.....how many texture layers are in the sky? My own sky works through a shader to dynamicly blend textures and give a procedural effect so density and colour can be controlled, and it needs three layers.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 20:07 Edited at: 30th Jan 2019 20:18
@Ortu : Thank you for the tips for youtube integration, I will try to not forget this next time :p

@SantMan :
1. For stars
2. For normal day sky colour
3. For clouds
4. for density misty addition
But it also uses some models textures for special effects like the halo around the sun, and the environment light effect when the sun rise (more light where the sun rise comparing to the others parts of the sky).

I will try to makes a video using my Smartphone for a better frame rate, here ShareX is not perfect for this ...
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2019 22:03
We've taken vastly different approaches then. Lol.

Nice work though.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2019 17:25
Thank you.

Now that everything that was on DarkBASIC Professional's eXtends plugin, and that can be useful on AppGameKit, is ported to AppGameKit, I start preparing the package.
Each part of the plugin will have it's own sample.
When the package will be ready, I'll post a new thread to share the plugin link.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 00:53
I have made some changes to the Real-Time sky system to get a more beautiful render concerning the sun, the halos, the clouds, and globally the environment.

I have separated alll demonstration and media files, so each project now own only it's own files in media folder.

The next step will be to adapt the DOC of the older eXtends 1.5 for DarkBASIC Professional to the brand new 1.0 for AppGameKit, without forgetting to update it with changes, removed methods, and added ones ...

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 02:50 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2019 02:51
nice eye candy; freddix

can enough cloud density hide/mask some/all of the sun/moon? in the screenshots, the full-circle orbs are fully visible (unless behind land/structures).

ie, something like?:

and, how much control over colors would we have? ie, what if my planet has red skies and revolves around a green sun?

Attachments

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 10:19
Hello Virtual Nomad.

Yes, it's an effect I'm workin' on to fine-tune it.
Here are two snapshots showing clouds over sun and moon.
When clouds hide sun (depend on the cloudalpha choosen, the ground and background graphics are impacted (less enlighted).
It's not yet exactly what I want, but I'm fine-tuning the blending of objects to find the best visual as I can.

Regards,

Attachments

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 10:31
Daaannnnnggggg - This is super Impressive work - Well done Freddix
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 12:41
@Puzzler2018 :
Thank you
I'm particularly happy of the way the day rise (with the light rising on the horizon before the sun appear showing it will soonly appear. A bit like in true life :p
But I'm unhappy with the full day sky colour that is not correct regarding to its texture ... I must fix this too..
But I've started to organize the project in a shape/form that will be used for public release.

Regards,
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 23:12
@Virtual Nomad :
System now hide sun if texture own parts where alpha transparency value is 255 (fully opaque).
The sky color is now fixed when day of full (brightest part of the day).
The system is now better.
I have decided to remove the 'misty'texture that is useless now in this new version.

I'll continue to prepare the package.

Attachments

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2019 20:16
eXtends progress go well.

Some commands like dynamic objects are no more needed in AppGameKit as they are already handled in "build in".
But some new commands (regarding the Original eXtends on DarkBASIC Professional) appeared.

It's the case of "DarkBASIC Professional text methods emulation".
It emulates commands like :
dbInk
dbPrint
dbText
dbCenterText
dbTextHeight
dbTextWidth

As all these are handled by some sort of "commands stack" and everything is drawn before synchro,
I had to emulate a full set of commands.

I will probably prepare an "official WIP Thread for eXtends on AppGameKit" soonly and details what the plugin will contain.

Attachments

haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 7th Feb 2019 05:55
i must ask, why do we need db commands? like dbText and such since we can use Agk's text and such?
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2019 08:46
@haliop_new : eh eh ! You probably do not need these commands !

Firstly, when I code something, it's for pleasure, the pleasure to try something new.
Here, the challenge I wanted to resolve was to use a mid to mid algorithm to cut text fastly to find the best size to write a full line and continue next line.
Secondly, even if I found the AppGameKit text system interesting, when I prototype something, I don't want to lose time writing texts routine to output various debug informations With this, a simple dbSetCursor and some dbPrint will do the job.

More about this, it will help me on my Amiga OS 4 engine I develop using C and OpenGL ( and FTGL that is also used by AppGameKit ) when I'll update my current texts commands). The algorithm is done, and will easily be adapted to C

I found an interest in this ... but I understand others will not..
Whatever, I never do something for nothing I always have an interest (mental, émotionnal, etc.) in what I create...

Regards,
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 7th Feb 2019 10:02
Wowm.. Amiga. OS 4 in C sounds interesting. Is it an emulator as such. Always wanted to try and do an emulator

That's really clever
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2019 12:33
@Puzzler2018 : No. I have a true computer. A samm440EP
(check here for example : https://www.vesalia.de/e_sam440ep.htm )
and I already got parts of my engine to work on Sam440Ep running with OS AmigaOS4 :

My engine was based on DarkBASIC Professional commands set (more on DarkGDK I must admit as my engine is used from C).
But I will make changes to upgrade it with commands names similars to AppGameKit.
I must also upgrade it to remove GLUT and create my own input/intuition systems

Regards,
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2019 14:33
Wow. Couldn't have imagined people still doing this.
Bet my good o'l A1200 can't cope with it and didn't see a price tag, though can't imagine it to be cheap.
Still, good job!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 07:22:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 07:22:39