Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Connecting Two devices to each other to play 2-player game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can anyone help me? I'd like to have two devices talk to each other while using the same app, and I'm not sure how to do it with AGK.
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
hm... not sure if its even possbile with AppGameKit? Even if it is, how stable will it run without crashing?
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2019 07:45
Have a look at this app (attached)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2019 08:42
https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/Multiplayer.htm read the multiplayer commands. easily doable
A child's dream never dies.

Alex_2015
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2019 21:30 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2019 21:33
I would like to revive this thread.

I have studied and tested both: Basic networking guide by Kevin Summers from the documentation and AGK_Comms app posted by blink0k (thanks for it!).
That method with HostNetwork () and JoinNetwork () commands works perfectly over LAN. But when it comes to connecting devices over the Internet, you need to
"set up your router to forward the specified port to the machine running your server app".
I don't have a frigging idea on how to do that, but it doesn't even matter, because its obvious that I can not make all users of my hypothetic multiplayer app to go through this procedure.

So, the question is if there is any way to allow two devices, running AppGameKit apps, to exchange data over the Internet without any router setup and without the use of any 3rd party servers?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2019 12:48
not really, you need a server in some form (own host or 3rd party) and you don't leave ports open by default for security hence the need to open them manually
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
Alex_2015
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2019 20:44
Quote: "not really, you need a server in some form (own host or 3rd party) and you don't leave ports open by default for security hence the need to open them manually"

Ok, thanks for the answer!
I barely recall that 10+ years ago I used to play FiFa soccer with a friend of mine, using that program called "Hamachi", which
emulated LAN over Internet.
Gotta give it a try again. With an AppGameKit app this time. Should be interesting ...
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2019 06:53
It is highly possible that only the server needs to be port forwarded and not the clients, a port listener exists on top of the ports and will direct traffic into the computer to the application, all outgoing messages are usually allowed by default. The only issue i would see with this is a firewall set to specifically lock down a system. some routers and NIC's are picky some are not.
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/CsOc7ed.png)[/imgur]

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2019 13:22 Edited at: 1st Sep 2019 13:42
Quote: "Gotta give it a try again. With an AppGameKit app this time. Should be interesting ..."

Definitely interesting already.
Please, keep us posted on your progress.

The Virtual Private Networks sound very promising indeed.

Setting up your own VPN would be nice.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:11:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:11:13