Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A little Confused

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,
Am really a little confused on this software.
I have seen the AppGameKit VR Bundle on Steam, and see it comes with AppGameKit, The VR AddOn, GameGuru, GameGuru Loader, And a 3d model package I think!
I was hoping to make playable games for playing in VR on my HTC Vive and SteamVR.
Now after searching a lot, i still dont understand what i would be able to do with this bundle.

I know the VR AddOn adds loads of VR commands for accessing the headset and controllers etc.
The AppGameKit is the software you use to write the game etc.

But what i dont understand is the GameGuru and GameGuru Loader.
It looks like GameGuru is a game maker, and the GameGuru Loader converts the Game you make on GameGuru to work on AppGameKit.
So if the game is fully running and plays on GameGuru, after converting it to AppGameKIt using the Loader, would that mean it would them play on AppGameKit ?

And once it plays on AppGameKit, i can then add in the VR commands and functions, and play the game in VR using my Vive ?

But also reading about GameGuru Loader it seems to downgrade the media for mobile, but really for me to play it in VR i dont want to downgrade the media, so can you not downgrade it if you want ?

Am i understanding this all correctly then ? And doing what i mentioned would allow me to build a game using Gameguru, Convert it, add the vr commands, then play it in VR on my Vive ?

Also, it does look like with GameGuru you can make many types of games, rather then just FPS games ?
I did see a Skyrim clone video, using GameGuru. So i guess that means you could create games, and add quests and other things like in a RPG game ?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 09:02
Game Guru is another platform for making games so game guru alone could create 3D worlds just like AppGameKit alone can the
GameGuru loader adds the benefits found in GameGuru to AppGameKit by bering able to load the worlds created in GameGuru to
be loaded into AppGameKit its not necessary depending on the style of programming your interested in.
fubar
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 10:29
In this bundle game Guru is more like your 3d placement editor for agk (as AppGameKit is purely code based development) and you use GG loader to get that map (and entities) into agk... You still create the end result in agk and will need to code your game play in agk (AI etc).
You do not need GG or GG loader to make your games, it's just easier to see what you're doing.

GG loader converts to mobile as a bonus, it doesn't need to be mobile textures etc
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
Tum
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the replies.
So basically, Gameguru on its own can create PC based games that actually play and run.
The gameguru loader, just converts the map, and the models into AppGameKit format, but the game wont run if I just convert it then hit RUN on AppGameKit ?

So therefore, to make a FPS or RPG game that plays on steamvr using my HTC Vive , I would create the map and models using GameGuru,, convert everything over to AppGameKit, then have to code everything etc in AppGameKit ? Does no code at all get converted from GameGuru ?
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2019 13:27 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2019 13:31
not much no, you would need a lot of custom scripts even in GG to get an actual working game and there's no "automagically" convert lua to agk code, just some core scripts that Preben has converted and added himself (such as doors and waypoints and some basic control scheme for the player to move around the map)
but you do get a lot of extras that AppGameKit doesn't provide by default of course such as bullet impacts and other particle systems, flash light / torch and of course the basic FPS camera controls plus other stuff that means you can very quickly run around your map and kill stuff
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:19:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:19:49