Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Including DX9 in standalone executable?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 19:23
I seem to recall there being a way to package a stabdalone game with dx9 redistributable package but cant find anything on it now.

Was there or is there a way to do this so my end users don't have to manually install dx9?

Thanks in advance
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 22nd Feb 2019 23:02
It depends how you package your game. Most of the free installers (Advanced Installer, Inno Setup, etc...) will handle prerequisites such as DirectX and .NET installs.
Otherwise it's a matter of just including DirectX 9 in your download (known as the TGC Solution) or coding your own installer.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2019 00:20
@xplosys Thank you for the lead on some neat installers, I realize there are quite a few options and Im evaluating what would be the best way to go. Appreciate the timely reply
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 02:23
@xplosys

I chose to go with your launcher, true work of beauty you made. Thanks so much for releasing it to the public!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 14:19
Thanks sbegley001
I earlier considered updating the launcher but didn't do it due to lack of users. I will add DirectX 9.0C checking for you if you want it, as that is a really quick fix.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 14:33
Quote: " I will add DirectX 9.0C checking for you if you want it, as that is a really quick fix."

Cool. that would be great.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 17:17 Edited at: 9th Mar 2019 17:17
@xplosys
Quote: "I will add DirectX 9.0C checking for you if you want it, as that is a really quick fix."

That would be so awesome yes please!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 19:06 Edited at: 9th Mar 2019 21:01
Okay. First a little discussion...
After a little research and trial/error, I've found that the Microsoft DirectX Web Updater for 9.0C will not work on Windows 10. It gives a proper message that it's for earlier OS's, and then closes. The only way to get it in Windows 10 is with the full "end-user" download. The issue here is that the files and executable are about 100MB in size, and it will need to be added to your game size. The alternatives are making your games "not for Windows 10", or forcing the user to download the full developers update, unzip it, and run the executable manually.

My thoughts...
Making your games "not for Windows 10" is unacceptable.
Assuming that the user would want to or even know how to download, unpack and install the update is once again... unacceptable.

So...
I'm thinking that when the launcher initializes, it will...
1. Check for DirectX 9.0C and offer a choice to "Update DirectX" if not found.
2. If user chooses No, a message will inform them that the game cannot be played and will exit.
3. If user chooses Yes, DirectX will be updated from the DirectX folder in your package (if it exists, otherwise a "contact the vendor" error message)

What you would need to do...
Copy the DirectX folder from your FPS Creator Directory to the Launcher directory.
Let me know your thoughts and ideas.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 19:52 Edited at: 9th Mar 2019 21:01
Lol of course Windows 10 doesnt like the web updater-_-

Your solution would be perfectly functional for me I actually have dx9 set as level2 in launcher right now haha which works (i think havent actually put my game files in yet) but checking for dx9 and installing from the launchers folder if its absent would be ideal, then Im not relying on endusers even haviing to click on it to install it or being scared its gonna mess up their computer or something
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 21:15
For some reason I am no longer able to download the full developers version of DirectX 9.0C. The link keeps taking me to the Web Update, which we already know won't work with Windows 10.
So, all you need to do with this new version (1.1) is copy the DirectX folder from your FPS Creator Directory to the Launcher directory along side your "game", "levels" and "media" folder.

As always, test, test and test again, and let me know of any issues.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 22:23
Aw seems like they deprecated it I assume the developers version is different than the redistributable package I have.

Okay sweet I will test this as soon as I get back to my pc! I am heading back home from my girlfriends house its about a 2 hour drive so Ill let you know how it goes. Really making my day here xplosys thanks again
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 01:37 Edited at: 10th Mar 2019 01:39
Seems to be working great! Of course, I have dx9 so I can't tell if it's asking or not haha.

Do you think it would work if I replaced the DirectX folder with the dx redistributable files and renamed the .exe? Probably enlarge my file size even more but I'm not sure the FPSC packaged dx installer is up to date with black ice mod?

Here's a screenie for you

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 01:53
Quote: "Seems to be working great! Of course, I have dx9 so I can't tell if it's asking or not haha. "

Yes, I have the same issue... both my systems have 9.0C

Quote: "Do you think it would work if I replaced the DirectX folder with the dx redistributable files and renamed the .exe?"

No. The launcher is looking for "dxsetup.exe" in the "DirectX" folder. If that is not the setup, then you'll get the "Contact the vendor" error.

Quote: "I'm not sure the FPSC packaged dx installer is up to date with black ice mod?"

If you have BlackIce MOD installed, the "dxsetup.exe" in your DirectX folder is up-to-date.

I like the screenie. What is the dog for?
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 02:28 Edited at: 10th Mar 2019 02:50
Quote: "Yes, I have the same issue... both my systems have 9.0C
"

Ill find someone...my mothers probably doesnt have it so we shall see

Quote: " If that is not the setup, then you'll get the "Contact the vendor" error."

Ah I meant replace the files inside the DirectX folder and renaming the .exe to match. Its moot anyway since as you say the fpsc dxstetup.exe is up to date with BiM. Will get back to you when I find someone who doesnt have dx9 to test it

Edit: the dog is my logo debating on leaving it there. I like it because it linls to my games from the website button but i also feel it takes away from the mood a bit haha
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 14:17
@ sbegley001 Looks great ! I say keep the dog.

@ xplosys Is V1.1 now an updated one ?
Quote: " I am no longer able to download the full developers version of DirectX 9.0C "

You gotta be kidding Figures, I'm constantly finding little things they are taking away slowly.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 15:03
Quote: "@ xplosys Is V1.1 now an updated one ?"

Yes. V1.1 has DirectX checking and updating ability.

As for DirectX 9.0C developers download:

I did find it again here. It is the latest, Jun 2010 version. The thing I like about it is that it does not display any version info, only that it will update DirectX, which should help to quell fears about the issue of installing an old version.
The launcher, likewise, does not refer to any version, but only that DirectX needs updating.
If you want to use the developers version instead of the compiled one packaged with FPS Creator, just unzip it to the DirectX folder and rename "DXSETUP.EXE" to "dxsetup.exe".
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 21:48 Edited at: 10th Mar 2019 21:48
Quote: "@ sbegley001 Looks great ! I say keep the dog.
"

Thanks ncmako

Quote: "I did find it again here. It is the latest, Jun 2010 version. The thing I like about it is that it does not display any version info, only that it will update DirectX, which should help to quell fears about the issue of installing an old version."

Awesome! However it is quite larger than the one with FPSC though. Do you know of any reason why one would want this one over the FPSC packaged one? 34mb vs 100mb...its not that much of a difference really so I won't hesitate to go with the developers June 2010 one if it is beneficial to my end users
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2019 22:17
Again...
Quote: "The thing I like about it is that it does not display any version info, only that it will update DirectX, which should help to quell fears about the issue of installing an old version."

That's the only reason I have. Some smarter person than me may know how to reduce that size. I don't think all of it is needed, but I'm not sure.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 02:16 Edited at: 11th Mar 2019 02:39
70mb really isn't much for a comfort to my end users, I'm gonna do it.

Quote: "I like the screenie."

Thought I'd post an exclusive download here for Escape the Place: Xplosys Edition so you can see your work in action

Thanks so much for your time and effort xplosys. Though Escape the Place is far from complete, it has really made a world of difference for my project in my opinion. I'm by no means an expert, but if you ever need any HUDs or UI elements I'll help you out anytime
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 02:46
sbegley001,
You're most welcome. Likewise, if you need any more customization let me know.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 04:57 Edited at: 11th Mar 2019 06:31
@xplosys I have found an issue when my girlfriend downloaded it onto her laptop (that lacks dx9), it threw this error when starting

Sorry for the potato quality pic, taken and sent from a phone. I instructed her to open the DirectX files folder and install it manually and that worked fine. Afterword, game ran as normal. Does the launcher need that dll? :/ I'm hoping I can just download one and pop in into the DirectX folder, and I will check it out myself but it might be awhile til I find another comp without up-to-date dx9 haha. Edge case issue, for sure. Here is what I'm doing in the mean time:

Stll a great boon that it throws an error instead when the game is clicked of just going to a neverending black screen if they dont have dx9
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 12:43 Edited at: 11th Mar 2019 14:45
That error is being thrown by your game (as you can tell by the title on the message/error) and not the launcher. Still, it should not be happening and I'll try to figure it out. Bear with me.
Please provide your girlfriends' computer OS and version.

EDIT: If and until I know the issue, I have removed the checking routine and added an update button and message on the bottom of the launcher.This may be sufficient?

Attachments

sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 00:14
Yes I was wondering about that because DirectX9 installation did fix it, but perhaps it was another issue altogether. Either way, I like this new version alot the DirectX button is great. I can restrict levels again now so some poor sap doesn't start Maniac Mode on his first try! haha.

Anyway I could ask you to remove the text at the bottom (it has an extra period) please?

Being configurable in the .ini file would be ideal, but I can just add text to the background image myself, near the bottom is a good place but I may want different text on different games depending on the launcher "mood"

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 00:39
Quote: "it has an extra period"
LOL
Text removed and controls moved back down.
Quote: "I can just add text to the background image myself"

I agree. It was in the interest of making things simple and clear, but it would be best where and how YOU want it. I have got in the habit of trying to make things bullet proof, but it's not always the best option.

Attachments

sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 01:38
It's perfect Thanks again xplosys!

You should definitely post this update in your release thread, too
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 01:51
I did. Thanks.
Also made a suggestion in your Work In Progress thread.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:08:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:08:14