Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Vulken and AGK classic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 17:38
If I write a game in AppGameKit classic will it still run on a new computer running Vulken. I like to think new computers would be backwards compatible for the forseable
future . At least 5 years anyway. What do you think ?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The only OS to worry about is MacOS/iOS - Apple deprecated OpenGL and will phase it out completely at some point (knowing Apple - it could be soon). Windows/Linux should always support OpenGL that AppGameKit is built on.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 19:46
Today I had an Asus laptop to prep for an enduser and it has an NVIDIA with Vulkan drivers installed: Nice.
So I guess this might go faster than is thought.

My guess is that you'll be using the same commands but working different under the hood, so wouldn't worry.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Should be ok both ways overall, especially if AGKS has a fallback to OpenGL when Vulkan is not available (which it certainly should have). Another important factor will be a built-in shader handler that compiles VS/PS files to the Vulkan SPIR-V format as required (GLSL to SPIR-V compiler). If those core elements are properly implemented, the same code should work fine through either rendering API.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 21:01
I've just looked on the net and it appears my computer does support Vulkan 1,1,80 . My computer isn't old but not much in the spec stakes . It's an HP stream 14 boasting a dual core 1.6 ghz processor with turbo boost upto 2.48 ghz . It has HD 400 graphics 4 gigs of ram and an N3060 Celeron processor . Had this lap top nearly a year and although it isn't very powerful I quite like it . Now I know it supports vulkan I may consider jumping on the band wagon and getting Studio but am probably gonna wait until June when all the dust settles . I will just have to limp along with classic until then not really I love AppGameKit classic so I hope studio isn't too different . Have a nice evening .
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm fairly sure it won't be much of an issue, knowing it doesn't take that advanced or expensive hardware to run. Also, the new AppGameKit Studio currently doesn't seem to have the Vulkan engine in there yet if I'm not mistaken. I do wonder what the day to day performance impact will be. Could be very nice!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:49:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:49:36