Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK World builder - testers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally, I would not want to paint over the auto-texture.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 21:16
Still getting the error. I'll wait for the update and do some other testing

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 21:22
Hmmm......maybe not such a simple issue then. Very strange, I got the error message when deleted the folder, but then when I manually created a new Worlds folder and put in a folder called test it worked fine.

Thanks blink, will have a proper look tomorrow.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 21:28
OMG.....how emabarrasing......I'm utterly shocked......

I MISSPELLED THE NAME IN THE CODE. It's looking for "AKG World Builder/Worlds/". You do still appear to need at least one fodler int he Worlds folder though.

And of course, I copy and pasted the filepath, so every single instance in the load and save code says AKG.

That's easily the most embarrasing mistake ever!!

I'll do a new update tomorrow.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha, I just noticed you misspelled the name, and came to tell ya, but you got it. lol
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 21:42
I swear.......red faced smiley just isn;t big enough!! Lol.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 21:47
Fine tuning issues - love it - everyday issue for developers

Awesome problem solving and fixing..
Tier 1 Developer
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 22:27
Awesome collaboration......rubbish copy and paste skills.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 22:32
the problems with copy and paste programming (which I do often) it copies the mistake
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 00:05 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 00:11
Forget about it.
Learning as i go
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 00:18
Was that the comment about exiting sculpt mode? It popped up in preview.

You *should* just be able to click the icon again, or choose any other mode. They toggle on and off, with the exception of normals which works while any other mode is active.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 00:39
Yeah. I found that thanks. Just getting the hang of it
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
Santman,

I tried your test by creating a folder in Documents as follows: Documents/AGK World Builder/Worlds/Test. I received the same error Golelorn reported. I created the folders before starting AppGameKit World Builder.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 17:24
Hi Joseph.

If you scan a few posts up you'll see I spelled the file path incorrectly in the code, so its looking for a path starting with "AKG World Builder/".....very embarrassing.

You do also need an empty folder because of how I've set it to check your not saving over an existing world. I'm going to put an update in tonight that will fix all the bugs and crashes to date, including correctly spelled save paths!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 20:54 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 20:55
Created a mountain and then tried to add grass

Attachments

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 20:57
Hmmm. That's a new one.

Was it while painting, or after hitting generate grass?
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 22:15 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 22:16
After I Click GENERATE GRASS

The sequence in it's entirety
Load World Builder
Navigate until i hit chunk 1
Click shovel button
Click build a mountain (AUTO button), press 1 (Enter for all default values)
Navigate until i'm closer to the mountain
Click pot button
Select texture (my grass 1 seamless texture)
Click GENERATE GRASS

I can make it happen every time
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 22:25
Yeah, it appears to just be broken, so I must have done something fixing something else.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 22:29
I am using the first download you gave me in the PM. If there is another one i should be using please let me know
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 23:19 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 23:20
That's it all fixed, and an update is there and ready to go. To get the update, just go into the download link I sent you, and there should be a folder called UPDATE 20-03-19. In here is a new bytecode file - just copy that over the one in the media folder where the world builder was extracted to.

This update should be far more stable and addresses all the issues raised so far:
• Fixed bug when editing out of bounds of the world
• Fixed shadows and empty world at right and top most boundaries
• Added basic tooltips
• Fixed object editing bug
• Fixed game mode not hiding interface correctly
• Fixed interface text overlapping
• Added additional help text
• Fixes to prompt boxes
• Added option for 1st / 3rd person mode in game preview
• Fixed /keyboard mouse controls in game preview
• Fixed camera so distant objects stay visible (better ranging)
• Fixed so sounds stop when exiting game mode
• Fixed keyboard controls not working in game mode when joypad unplugged
• landscape painting across chunks fixed – seamless across chunks now
• Fixed saving and file path directory naming
• Fixed bug requiring an empty folder at first save
• grass generation fixed
• fixed tooltips in grass generation interface
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 23:58
Grass generation doesn't crash!! Should i see grass on the chunk?
The ability to click on a chunk to select it would be handy i think.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 00:12
You should see it, though until you set a texture it will just be a bunch of black planes waving away. Also, of your using the mountain tool, grass won't generate on any slope steeper than about 45 degrees, or anywhere a path has been drawn.

Slowly I'm taking away the chunk dependency......sculpting now works freely across the whole landscape, as does painting and object placement. When I get some time, I'll do the same with grass. After that, beyond setting textures, it shouldn't matter which chunk your in, hopefully.

Once I give control over water, such as setting its height or turning it off altogether, hopefully editing the chunks will become clearer.
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
Santman,

Just a quick test of the updated file. The save file worked. I generated an auto mountain and then painted some grass using one layer. That generated the grass fine. I then tried to add two more layers and received the following error: Failed to get memblock int, memblock 2200 does not exist in make_grass.agc at line 27. If I generate the grass using the three layers the first attempt, the grass generated with no problems. I was able to load the saved file and when saved after changes it wrote successfully over the first save.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 00:52 Edited at: 21st Mar 2019 00:53
I did not have any luck generating grass.
Created a mountain added texture, added grass but the grass did not generate (as far as i can see)

The parts of the land that still have "No Image". Are they another chunk?

Attachments

Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you walk me through how to paint the terrain? I can't seem to figure out how to add textures and paint them.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 01:37
And painting a path. How do i paint a path
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 07:06
Joseph, thanks for that - I'll have a look and see if I can replicate....cant see a reason why the mountain tool should break the grass tool, but will have a look.

Blink - that texture should be the blades of grass, so one of the images where its blades of grass viewed side on, with a transparent background. But you should still be seeing the planes, so not sure what's happening for you. Did you draw some grass? I.e. you have to draw the areas where you want grass to appear using the right mouse button.

Golelorn - you can click the four quarters when not in any mode to set the textures in the top image atlas. The bottom image atlas is the grass and paths. Once you've set four images for the chunk (or as many as you want), go into paint mode, select a paint brush, then use right mouse button to paint onto the landscape. Hold shift and right click to erase - erasing will only erase the contents of the layer you've selected. You can select a layer using the mouse wheel - the green highlight will show you which texture you are currently painting.

Blink - paths work the same as the landscape painting described above. Note, the order they will render is bottom texture to top texture, then grass, then bottom path texture to top path texture.

So I'm picking up that I need some form of tutorial or walkthrough here. Maybe a YouTube video?
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 14:33 Edited at: 21st Mar 2019 14:38
Santman, I am not sure what caused the error with the grass tool. Could have been that I used an earlier version of WorldBuilder. I have made sure that all earlier versions have been deleted and am using the most recent. The grass seems to work fine using all three layers. I have attached a short video of the issue with the tree placement/editing module. What shows maybe correct, but is confusing as the Placement mode seems to be used for editing and the Editing mode is used for placement. In the video, I am moving a tree around to place it, while in Placement mode, the trees turn a brighter green to be selected for editing. While in the Tree "Edit" mode, I tried to save the file and received the following error: Array index out of bounds, Index - 199, Array Length: 64 in system_function.agc at line 1695.

Attachments

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 16:00
Hi Joseph.

The error is because one object is being placed on another, not the ground.

It's something fixed for placing normal models, but I never did the trees as I still withered about removing that whole function because it had such specific requirements.....I.e. two mesh model etc.
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
Santman,

That makes sense as I was dragging a tree around in air that Tree Edit mode when I was pressing the save button. In the video you can see some sandy/off white color on the terrain. Some is from the painting of a path and some is from terrain texture changes done when the grass was generated after I painted the area for the grass. Not sure if that is normal or not. Also, I was not able to change the texture to paint the path, nor was I able to "correct" any misapplied path painting. Is it possible to undo a change to the terrain once it is painted?
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 17:49
Re the grass, ot is normal in the sense that four the 4 path textures, the first one is grass. Wherever you paint grass, this the populates. That way, you have four textures for the ground and don't need to worry about grass as its textured for you. I aim to add a toggle for it though. The off white colour is because there's no texture set.

To change the texture, you need to be out of paint mode, then you can click to change them. I'm going to change this, and put the texture controls in the functions.

To erase a texture, hold down shift. When erasing, it will only erase the content of the layer you've selected. So you can paint the middle layer, then the top layer, and erase the middle layer without impacting the top layer.
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
Santman,

Had a chance to test a bit more. When I loaded a saved world the grass textures were not applied. I tried to reapply them, but the app only applied them to a couple of areas where I had painted foliage. The load did load trees, the object (building), and the terrain with the appropriate textures. I tried saving and loading a couple of times with the same result, the grass texture would not be applied.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 17:45
Hi Joseph.

Thanks for the feedback. I came across that myself, its something I broke fixing something else, so its fixed now. I've just finished redoing the grass to double the resolution for more detail, and combine it with the paths; that frees up a texture slot in the shader and boosts performance.

I'm going to change the texture to work with 8 paintable textures instead of 4, and that will be the last shader / core fix. Both these break texting from the omder version so thought I may as well do them at the same time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:28:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:28:40