Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / AppGameKit Studio Sneak Peek #6 - Code Properties

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 05:00 Edited at: 14th Mar 2019 05:36
Sorry if I've missed this post somewhere else but.... This is the innovation that's unique and very handy to have.

Now that is well cool. What a great way of being able to tweak things without having to manually change code and then run it over and over again. A quick REM statement and in realtime you can then change values and see it live + your source code is updated to match, I like that lot - Fantastic for routines that have a lot of variable interaction.

This is a really useful feature for coders and not just a fluffy marketing piece, nice one - This is the kind of innovation that AppGameKit needs and I'm super excited to see these features being added. Really useful features that can save a lot of time tweaking and running code over and over again. Very impressed
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 05:15
To embed the above video you would just include VTvxc92rV3 between the youtube brackets
fubar
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 05:34 Edited at: 14th Mar 2019 05:35
Thanks fubarpk for the info but I no longer have the ability to edit my post - Is it something you could do?

LOL, sorry, missed the place where the edit button is. All sorted, thanks
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 08:34
Woah... That's pretty cool.
Imaginations' greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 12:05
Very cool
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 14:13
Nice........that will save massive amounts of time with building interfaces and such.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 15:36
It'll be interesting to see how the IDE knows that mycolor.x, mycolor.y, mycolor.z, and mycolor.w is actually mycolor.r, mycolor.g, mycolor.b, and mycolor.a, and know to show a colour picker instead of 4 variables with + and - next to each!

But yes, nice touch. Could come in handy
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 15:37
fantastic, like it a lot. well done TGC
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 15:49
Also, not to sound negative... but as you have to type it and you said it's hidden codes, will it be obvious to everyone that it exists? Or is it something that you're only going to know about if someone mentions it on the forum or happened to have watched that video. It's a great start but having an option to add these properties with a click of a button instead of typing code would be a lot more visible to those looking around the IDE and exploring all of the options.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 19:49
Quote: "It's a great start but having an option to add these properties with a click of a button instead of typing code"

A simple "Add Variable" dialog box could be used, set name, type and default value and the IDE does the rest, I agree its a very neat system but all that extra typing would get old pretty quick.

I am wondering how it copes with nested type variables..... roll on payday I cant wait to try this stuff out.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 20:14 Edited at: 14th Mar 2019 21:09
Quote: "A simple "Add Variable" dialog box could be used, set name, type and default value and the IDE does the rest, I agree its a very neat system but all that extra typing would get old pretty quick."

Yeah. Right click, "Add Ide variable" would be cool

I added a request for thist. The more people that give it a thumbs up the better it's chances of making it into the product
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! Very cool. This would have saved me a tonne of time when I built the GUI for my game.

Hoping you can, after tweaking, opt to forget the changes and leave the code with its original variable values.

Also what happens if the game is full screen rather than windowed? Do you get a floating pallet that you can move around?
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2019 22:16 Edited at: 14th Mar 2019 22:19
I like it a lot.
Will make tweaking my shader uniforms much nicer.
I wonder if I can reset the default values or if my "carefully tweaked default values" are gone after I played with the IDE Variables.
i.e a reset button could be useful.

@DavidAGK: awww 3 min faster
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2019 09:53
Picking up on shaders, I do a lot of work with the code running, change the shader in word pad, save, and then refresh in the program to make changes realtime anyway.

What I've always thought would be epic, was the ability to do it with the bytecode. So you run your program, something isn't quite right, so you tweak it in AppGameKit then the running program just picks up the changes to the bytecode and start it realtime. Some logistical issues, but we could have a command or label that sets the rerun point, so any media loaded before that would stop be there etc. For larger projects this would be really helpful, and since it's just a player interpreting the bytecode file in real-time I always thought it would.be possible.

The world builder initial setup takes about a 45-50 seconds......that's an age if you're running it over and over to test something, and it's not always something property based.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2019 11:49
In Godot you just add 'Export' to the variable declaration. It's very simple and would also work here.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2019 17:26 Edited at: 16th Mar 2019 17:47
Very nice an useful feature. Saves tons of tweakings.
Now if they manage to combine all this with stuff from AGE3D we'd have truly nice development environment.
[EDIT]
But I still hope they'll be able to lower the fps's the IDE takes up.

I didn't see this thread: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224018#msg2641255
It really makes a h*ll of a difference: twice as fast.
Great stuff! I can scrape that of the list too.

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
I really like this! But please note, it should be spelled separator. Having to misspell commands deliberately would be pretty annoying.
Undiscovered Worlds: a procedural landscape generator

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:17:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:17:56