Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Enemies climbing stairs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, i know that there are many threads about this problem but they have not many answers.
I need that enemies (zombies) could climb stairs to try to kill me (i don't need passive characters but enemies).
I know it's possible because i've seen a COD Zombie style game where zombies could go upstairs (classic zombie apocalypse model pack).
I'm using FPSC x9 1.20 with Black Ice Mod.

Thanks
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2019 21:28
Carloquiga
Quote: "I need that enemies (zombies) could climb stairs to try to kill me"

Oh yeah, it's very possible to do. Have you tried using waypoints yet?
Uzi Idiot made some really nice enemy scripts here just awhile ago.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223561
Read thru them, one is called "chargemelee - This is for charging enemies" Might be of use ???

Also hukuta94 did a great zombie script pack with many attacking scripts.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/212254
Definately worth looking into
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2019 22:38 Edited at: 16th Mar 2019 22:39
Just put a waypoint path along the staircase. Enemy AI will never climb stairs unless you put a waypoint along ,that's how it works. Put a waypoint in the middle of the ground segment at the lowest part of the staircase and then connect it to another one in the middle of the ground segment at the highest part. By this, I mean the ground segment in front of the first step and the last step, not the staircase itself. You can check this out in the second version of the Community Guide (the links seem dead though).
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2019 22:41
Or check out the AI demos included with black ice mod which have enemies going up and down stairs
Carloquiga
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried waypoints with stock scripts but it doesn't work.
I also tried Uzi Idiot and hukuta94 but the don't work (maybe im doing something wrong).
I'm using Mob Zombie 1 from zombie apocalypse 1 model pack.

Thanks
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 01:47 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 01:52
@Carloquiga - The zombies from the Zombie Apocalypse Pack seem to be climbing stairs perfectly for me here on FPSC V1.20 beta w/ Black Ice Mod.

The following video is with completely stock scripts that the zombies come with and no waypoints at all. What exactly is the issue you are having?

uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 08:57
Huh what script are they using?
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
Carloquiga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 15:06 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 15:07
I'm doing experiments on this map.
The zombie starts to climb stairs but he can't the gantry.

These are stock scripts.

sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 20:37
Will do some more tests when I get home. Could you make a video of what is happening with OBS? Its free and way better than old fraps or bandicam. Find it here: https://obsproject.com/download

Are the zombies getting stuck in the stairs?
Are the zombies getting stuck at the bottom of the stairs?
- Might be that the zombies are slightly inside the floor, try raising up them a little bit.
Are the zombies getting stuck at the top of the stairs or on the gantry?
- Might be the gantry segments, will test soon. I remember some with "hollow" parts had collision issues sometimes. Maybe try a different gantry or floor segment.

Are the zombies choosing to run underneath the gantry rather than up the stairs?
- Change your level design to accomadate the zombies. Place items near the stairs/under the gantry to encourage them to use the stairs. Ill play with this later and see if I can come up with a clever solution for us.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 22:46
@Carloquiga - You are trying to use stairs by themselves with a gantry and the top.

FPSC requires there to be segment walls at the sides of your stairs for them to work properly.
Carloquiga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2019 10:58 Edited at: 24th Mar 2019 11:04
Quote: "Could you make a video of what is happening"

https://youtu.be/ywHoXvUklLI
(sorry i don't know how to insert a YouTube video in this thread)

Quote: "Maybe try a different gantry or floor segment"

I've made some tests but nothing changed

Quote: "FPSC requires there to be segment walls at the sides of your stairs for them to work properly."

i'll try this with invisible walls
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
AI characters in fpsc have collision issues with them sort of gantrys when using stairs.

If I remb darkai see them as a hole so that's why they just stand there walking in place.

You could place invisible floor segments then the gantry to trick the ai thinking it's all floor.

This problem been there a while and there sort of no fix due to how ai see the world.
Like I said try the invisible floor segments and see how that goes.

Best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Carloquiga
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You could place invisible floor segments then the gantry to trick the ai thinking it's all floor."

This doesn't work with stock zombie's scripts and i can't use Dark AI script i think.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2019 22:30 Edited at: 24th Mar 2019 22:34
Just a quick thought - could you use regular floor segments and add railing to it? Maybe that will help.

I know Cosmic Scifi packs have sime good floors and railings.

Edit: Another thought: try placing a static entity between the top of the stairs and the gantry segment. Just might trick the ai into thinking its on a floor. Not alot of hope for this idea though
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2019 23:08
@ Carloquiga In your mapbank folders under mapbak\samples\WaypointsMultilayer.fpi
This example map shows how to setup stairs & segments so npc characters can easily run up & down them.
Replace the stock character for your zombie and test. It works just fine as sbegley001 & s4real noted.
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 07:42
That level just has a character with the follow.fpi script and waypoints, that's not really what we're looking for.
I have no idea how the guy is getting it to work however, I always remember this being a problem until DarkAI
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 21:27
@ Uzi & Carloquiga The segments in that map example I gave are the Same as sbegley001 used in His example ( a ww2 floor segment )
It's the "height" of the segment lip where it meets the staircase. *** Pictures Attached***
Try and find a lower segment lip for top of staircase and npc's will walk over it

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Carloquiga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 23:19 Edited at: 25th Mar 2019 23:20
Quote: "could you use regular floor segments"

It's the same

Quote: "In your mapbank folders under mapbak\samples\WaypointsMultilayer.fpi "

Quote: "That level just has a character with the follow.fpi script and waypoints, that's not really what we're looking for."

Yes, the problem is that these zombies have specific animations and they use specific scripts in the "main" section.

Quote: "Try and find a lower segment lip for top of staircase and npc's will walk over it"

Maybe this could work, but i can't find a floor with that height. Which floor and stair are you using?

I'm sorry if i'm making troubles, i'm also writing not in my native language so i can't be very accurate
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2019 22:22
@ Carloquiga
Quote: " Which floor and stair are you using"

From the ww2 segments. You just have to look and test which one works & doesn't. There's just so many to chose form.
Place an entity or the player start marker at the edge and right click to look up-close 9 zoom in ) You'll noticed some are higher than others, some lower.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:10:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:10:12