Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2019 21:43 Edited at: 30th Mar 2019 12:52
Hey guys, if you don't already know I recently entered tapper into the classic game jam competition and was pleased at what i could manage in such a short amount of time. I was also keenly aware of everything wrong with my tapper as a result of doing it in such a short time. so this is Tapper Extended Edition an attempt to make it better by not being rushed I've started again from scratch, but when i knew a bit of compo Tapper was good, i've just lifted it wholesale otherwise it's been rewritten or re-thought-out.

so to the meat of it!

What's Different?

more patrons (4 instead of 1)
more animations (drinking, burping, dancing,serving pints!)
Dancing girls!
Refactored bar management code!

What's still to add/ code?

animations for drinking pints for 3 patrons
start screen
music
sound fx
fail conditions need to be re added (serving too many pints, dropping empty glass or not serving someone in time) and animations for them done
success condition fulfilled and move onto next level to be added
extra info screens to cycle between showing a high score table and a points guide page or similar so I show off the main screen more
a high score table!
losing lifes and gaining points
reseting all variables and starting the next life/lvl

but it's mostly there atm.

I've attatched some WIP screencaps to show the process of trying to redo the graphics.

will update as i go

Attachments

Login to view attachments
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2019 22:14 Edited at: 3rd May 2019 09:57
sorry to double post on my own post , but I'll add the zip file to this post if anyone wants to try it and see

2 versions now

Barperson code.zip (no exe, just the media and the agk/agc file) -692k
BarpersonwithEXE.zip ( just the media and exe file) -3.49mb

updated 3rd May 2019

Attachments

houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Sunday update:

All 4 patrons now have all their animations! hurrah
pint drinking has had to be re-written a bit to display the new animations

few new issues have cropped up as a result of this but I think I can sort them and then go ahead and put win/fail conditions back in to get some more gameplay!
Glad not to have any more drawing to do, I have little enough time for coding, so spending it drawing sucks !

New updated zip file attached to the second post!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2019 20:50
houndog66,

if you want some (non-professional) help with media, see attached and PM me

keep up the good work!

Attachments

houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
So a wee Wednesday update

I have put back in the start screen and 2 "attract" screens (as basic as it gets, but functional) it cycles through the title screen, advice screen, title screen,and then high score table screen .
Also included the first stab at a high score table, no entering them,saving them or making them different sizes or colours yet, and currently it randomly generates them ever time it cycles, but it's there for now

Been a busy week so far in RL so that's all there is, but trying to keep myself motivated by writing about updates here.

will update the second post with the latest code.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 21:26 Edited at: 4th Apr 2019 21:27
I remember the c64 version being good, but a bit slow...

here is a cool video featuring loads of different Tapper ports.
(the c64 footage starts at 14:37 )

https://youtu.be/gwZulLY-l4A
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2019 11:04 Edited at: 7th Apr 2019 12:10
hey guys, another update. things are really starting to look good

added a backdrop to the game so it looks like a bar now !
working, saving, fancy highscore table
all the success and fail conditions are in (although not animated mostly yet)

it's quite playable now and much improved over the gamejam version i made

here are 2 screenies to compare (the arcade version and my new version)

have updated the second post with the latest code if someone wants a go.

Attachments

houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
always busy *sigh*
This week I managed some pretty good stuff despite real life. Tapper has a bonus stage that you get to after every 2 levels where you have to guess which can has not been shaken by a mischievous customer. I've more or less built the bonus stage it now just needs a little more love, and as it was built on borrowed sprites, I've had to do my own art for it. So until I've finalised my bonus stage woes. Here is some WIP pics

Attachments

houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2019 14:49 Edited at: 13th Apr 2019 14:54
Just looking at the WIP screenies above and it looks like Tapper might have accidentally looked at the ark of the covenant as it was opening!

Think my woes are sorted, some things are still a bit shonky (score updating for example) but I think its mostly there. Got the first few sounds in thanks to virtual Nomad and I'll hopefully get more sorted soon. I've set the level to 1 so you only need to complete level 1 to get the bonus stage, and I've made it super easy for just now.
Most of the ideas i set out in my first post have now been implemented except Music and better fail/success condition animations. so not far to go

Updated code/exe in the 2nd post
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2019 02:51
I think you've done a great job on him. Very loyal to the original
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2019 14:57
I hope it will be as fun as the original version
I do what i do !!!
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys

Just updated the 2nd post with the latest and greatest version so far. Everything I wanted to put in and a bit more. The only way it is really different from the original version is that it goes on to a new level, with new patrons and more art to draw and mine doesnt. No new gameplay, just different assets. It'd be easy enough to add I daresay, but my patience with painting is at an end

things that have changed since last update :

"16th pint bug" - before hand every 16th pint would hover at its point of inception and never move. NO MORE!
5 different success conditions, all sorts of fun animations of your favourite barkeeper
more sound effects (thanks still and again to Virtual Nomad)
added in more general animations for Tapper, he now zooms from bar to bar

still to add :

Music and more sounds is really all i can think of.

Give it a shot and tell me if it works!

thanks

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2019 04:26 Edited at: 20th Apr 2019 04:29
second time through the bonus stage, cans were shaken but it never gave me a chance to choose 1 (it simply went to "ready to serve" and the next wave). i played the EXE version.

otherwise, it's coming along nicely

houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that, found out the issue, wasn't resetting all the variables somewhere. The 2nd post has been updated with new versions to reflect this I also noticed a bug where when it played the glass falling on his toe animation his drink disappeared, so i fixed that while i was there Still got to put in more of the sounds, but I was desperate just to tie up all the loose ends and have a few days off from Tapper before I do!

houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys

Another wee update!

Decided Tapper might not be an ideal name for my little clone, so I gave it loads of thought and have rebranded it "Barperson" !

BUT worry not!

I designed several new names for it and included them all, If you don't like it then all you need to do is wait until the main menu scrolls around and you have a chance to see a different name!

The bubbles and beer effect on the title screen has been enhanced a good deal and I'm very pleased with it now

I have added Music! it is me playing the piano so its not the best, and I had to cobble together a solution to record it, but it's in and it improves things no end i think

other general bug fixxy things

As always the 2nd post contains the new code,in 2 flavours. One you can compile yourself or one with an exe. s'up to you

give it a try and tell me how it goes
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2019 05:42
nice work on the piano, houndog

compiled and found a small bug (?) where i don't expect the patron should have spawned once the level-complete sequence triggered:

otherwise, functioned well enough

meanwhile, i did want to go into the code and tweak some things. alas, i'm afraid your (now 3k+ lines of) code is only readable to you

Attachments

houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey VN thanks for the testing again. I've literally no idea how you've managed to get a customer once the success condition is triggered (they are in separate loops) anything in particular happen beforehand that helps explain it?

I can comment all my code for you if you need, it's not too hard, I know what everything does OR if you want to fiddle with a particular Idea i can point you to where you need to look.

It's mad to think it takes 3000 lines to produce Tapper but it does, I daresay I could tidy up some bits of code and reduce the size though
ApkGames.Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2019 22:12
Hi. It's great to see remakes of the golden age of comuting. I love the tapper game and look forward to seeing this deveop
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 17:51
Its great to see that you have done more work on a game that started as a gamejam entry
Sometimes simple games are often the best, as to what makes a game successful is all about gameplay
Quite the talented artist i might add

The main reason for my post tho is I am starting another classic game jame and would like to invite you
to participate https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224391
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
@FUBARPK thanks, I've got a few ideas for a new entry, so I'll give `em a whirl and see how viable they are. Had to get this latest feature in before i stopped though

Heya Guys, another update!

I said i wouldn't do any more Art for this but I had an idea for getting the game logic for the second bar (sports bar) and had to try it out.

If you aren't aware, tapper has 4 different level styles (western,sports,punk and space) and every 2 levels you get a bonus game and then a new Bar.
What makes this tricky is that each new style actually changes the placement of the pumps. Ie on lvl 1-2 you throw pints to the left as people walk right but on the sports bar(lvl 3-4) the pints are thrown right as people walk left.
So I've hacked in a solution that mostly works out. I perform an asset swap, render all the sprites to an image, then paste the image onto a sprite and then flip the sprite
It's the same patrons as before, no new sporty patrons, but they could be added if needs be.

I might give Tapper a break while i work/think about another Classic remake, unless inspiration strikes ofc.

Updated Code and and EXE in the 2nd post as always

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:21:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:21:11