Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Centipede myriapods a Centipede/Millipede style game for Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2019 18:55 Edited at: 31st Mar 2019 18:57
Hi all!
I just upload to google play my new game made with AGK: Centipede myriapods.
It's a Centipede / Millipede type game, with several improvements:

-Classic and new modes with classic arcade type graphics and improved
-New enemy hordes
-Touch and physical controls
-Final bosses
-Extras: extra bullets, movement speedup, killemall pill, and so ...

There are two versions of the game, one of them free with non-intrusive advertising and premium version without ads.
You can download it for Android at:

Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.braindeadgames.centepide
Premium: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.braindeadgames.centepidepremium

Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Cliff,
I'm terrible in Centipede but with a little of practice is affordable! So, why not give it a chance?
Thanks for your comment!
Regards.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2019 21:06 Edited at: 4th Apr 2019 21:10
fun game and reminiscent of the classic. Ie, a solid nod to the original

some irks, inquiries and suggestions:

> "Missing internet permission in Android.Manifest.xml" - see attached (i expect its why i was served no ads?).

> [Pause] disables the back button.

> [Exit] doesn't close the app as expected but pushes it to the background.

> consider separating the HighScore from the Start button (it doesn't feel right to hit HighScore to start a new game). It's a nice fade-effect, though

> consider a virtual joystick (trackball?!) i know its tough to avoid hiding the player under fingers but i couldn't get used to 2-finger mode.

> consider depicting damage to the barriers in New mode (as it is in Classic).

> add a page of descriptions for the Extras? i was avoiding the Skull until i couldn't; only then did i learn the power of Killemall! i still don't know what the 3 "red" icons in the lower-left mean.

> with that, have the Extra pop-up text show at the top of the screen where our fingers won't hide it? (and might as well move "Level" text up there, too)

> how do you Fire when auto-fire is off?

> windows release?

otherwise, good work, good fun! will keep an eye on development.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, thanks Virtual Nomad for all sugestions!

> "Missing internet permission in Android.Manifest.xml" - see attached (i expect its why i was served no ads?): Thanks, I'll check internet on the exporter to apk
> [Pause] disables the back button: I'll fix it
> [Exit] doesn't close the app as expected but pushes it to the background: I'll try to fix it
> consider separating the HighScore from the Start button (it doesn't feel right to hit HighScore to start a new game). It's a nice fade-effect, though: yes I like the effect and it's useful to save screen space, I'll look for an alternative method to show the hiscore
> consider a virtual joystick (trackball?!) i know its tough to avoid hiding the player under fingers but i couldn't get used to 2-finger mode: trackball? it sounds good! how do would you implement it? I'm not sure how... Meanwhile I'll add a virtualjoy, it's not my favorite control method but the more possibilities, the better.
> consider depicting damage to the barriers in New mode (as it is in Classic): good idea, I'll implement it
> add a page of descriptions for the Extras? i was avoiding the Skull until i couldn't; only then did i learn the power of Killemall! i still don't know what the 3 "red" icons in the lower-left mean: good idea, I'll implement it. The 3 "red" icons in the lower-left are the player energy.
> with that, have the Extra pop-up text show at the top of the screen where our fingers won't hide it? (and might as well move "Level" text up there, too): good idea, I'll see where show the text
> how do you Fire when auto-fire is off?: you can fire with the little icon on the right over the direction icons (the little start in the hexagon).
> windows release?: sure, the new release I'll put here will include windows exe.

Thanks for all the sugestions, I'll try to implement during the weekend.
Best regards
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2019 08:52 Edited at: 5th Apr 2019 09:02
so, i've been playing with a "virtual trackball". it's not perfect (at all), but its a starting point:

the idea gives the user the choice of where to put their finger (IE, away from the player).
an alternative is to stick it near one of the bottom corners. if the player presses near the bottom left, that's where the sprite appears. press near the bottom right, you get it... at 1 of 2 fixed locations (maybe both?). just keep it maybe 24px away from the edges.

the "roll" is in there but it needs tweaking, too (a flag to just let it fade when the sprite's hidden, i think). alas, my phone died testing, so i'll go get that sorted
in the meantime, it has precise movement, and then think "short swipes" to roll/drift the player, takes a little getting used to but the effect is there.

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Perfect, Virtual Nomad, I'd used this method in a game time ago; I'll try implement in Centipede.
Many thanks!
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2019 19:51 Edited at: 8th Apr 2019 05:10
Hi all,
I just upload the new version of Centipede myriapods, with the following changes and additions:

Two new methods of movement:
-Virtual joystick
-Trackball
Help page with extra pods descriptions
Relocation for in-game texts to do more readable
Backbutton exits to menu even with game in pause
Barriers now represents the damage in new mode
Added internet permission to show adverts
Minor fixes

Thank to Virtual Nomad for the suggestions.

You can get the game at:

Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.braindeadgames.centepide
Premium: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.braindeadgames.centepidepremium

Thanks!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2019 21:39 Edited at: 7th Apr 2019 21:41
Nice update, Braindead!

first,
Quote: "I just upload the mew version "

and, the thread title needs a spell-check, too (i expect your fingers are a little numb from all the work you've put in)

next,

Text relocation is appreciated. And, Barrier damage is very helpful! With that, the Barriers at the very bottom are indestructible, unlike the others. I can get behind/below them, but bullets don't affect them making them a tough obstacle (easy to get hung up on). Consider letting the Orb or Spawn Shield damage them (if not bullets?).

How about adding Mines to the Help page? They're not so obvious, at first.

(And, alas,) I'm still preferring the 1-finger controls; i should have given it more of a chance before suggesting alternates. Meanwhile, 1-finger still leaves the bottom somewhat obscured making the arrival of the worms, etc, an absolute terror! (you've delivered on that effect ) but, what about a heads-up or alert just prior to their arrival? Ie, placing something like these at the top/side, where appropriate along with a sound prompt?

...or, a simple, "incoming!" centered on the screen? you get the idea

finally, the ads work. consider showing them in a less-static way/less-than-constantly? IE, "tease" what the screen would look like if we purchased the premium version?

all minor stuff as i'm thoroughly enjoying your creation. Thanks again!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all!

"Mew" typo corrected, but I can not fix the title typo ...

I will add the description of the mines and a little help on the controls in the next version.

I thought about adding a signal indicating where the enemy was going to go in the first moments of development but it made the game much easier. I will think about including it if I make different levels of difficulty, so that it appears in the easiest one.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 14:01:12
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 14:01:12