Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Single Core Workaround for Anti-Virus Programs?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2019 23:19
Hello.

I've been getting complaints on Steam about Brigand: Oaxaca's performance issues, and it always seemed unrelated to the players' computers. I'm pretty sure now it is because some antivirus programs only use the first CPU core, and I think DBP only allows programs to run on the first core as well. I'm not an expert with hardware, so I'll provide a link to the Steam discussion: https://steamcommunity.com/app/652410/discussions/0/1795152172929572850/?ctp=2

I don't use memory blocks at all, so is there some way that a memblock could help. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks.
sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2019 22:38 Edited at: 1st May 2019 22:39
I've no specific knowledge to your situation but generally the `core` that an app runs on is completely arbitrary and up to the OS. If you run a flat-out DBP app on a quad core system then total CPU utilisation is 25%. Run 2 DBP apps simulataneously (with no system-friendly pausing) then you will get 50% utilisation, and so on... The OS will even "split" a single app between multiple cores as it sees fit.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 2nd May 2019 21:43
I think something wrong with yours last patch - otherwise previous game versions must be also slow with anti-virus app working in the same time.
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 23:55
The guy said he has a new anit-virus program installed, but I didn't ask which one. Thanks for the replies.
locecode
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont think its a core problem, It sounds like a memory problem or a power problem.

Most pcs will run slow if the pc is not plugged in and others will run slow if they run out of memory.

restarting the pc helps and make sure they keep there laptops plugged in.

I noticed my applications will still start up if not plugged in, but it takes a long time for them to open.
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2019 00:17
It's possible, but this guy seems to know what he's talking about. I just asked what anti-virus program he's running now, so I can test it out soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:50:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:50:55