Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [SOLVED] set window off and fullscreen in general crashes program and cant be alt+tab'd out of

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So maybe it has to do with my older version of DBP and/or its compatibility with windows 10, but every time I use the Set Window Off command or even set the screen type to fullscreen in the IDE: my screen turns black, the program crashes, alt+tab or bringing the task manager both fail to minimize the window, and the only way to use the computer thereafter is to switch user from the ctrl+alt+delete screen (which would then be in 640x480 resolution no matter what display mode the program is set to). I haven't tried to run a DBP program in fullscreen ever since moving the software to windows 10 and now I'm worried that there simply is no way to do that on this OS :/ .

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
If it's relevant; the specs are:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i9 @ 3.60GHz 30 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) (LGA1151) 25 °C
Graphics
SM40UNP (3840x2160@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (Gigabyte) 40 °C
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (Gigabyte) 34 °C
ForceWare version: 419.35
SLI Enabled
Storage
476GB Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB (Unknown (SSD))
223GB INTEL SSDSC2BP240G4 (SATA (SSD)) 24 °C
223GB INTEL SSDSC2BP240G4 (SATA (SSD)) 24 °C
3726GB Seagate ST4000DX001-1CE168 (SATA ) 26 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Audio
USB Audio Device
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 12:57 Edited at: 28th May 2019 16:25
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
UPDATE!! I got it to work!! sorry for wasting anyone's time! So after some digging i found this post that explains my problem exactly https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219513?page=1 and the solution didn't work. BUT mage said his version of DBP was the latest
Quote: "So maybe it has to do with my older version of DBP"
so I figured i'd give that DBPro 9Ex thing a try. I always assumed it'd crash the compiler since that's what happens with the git version BUT my copied version did not. .. so i tried to do the following:

AND IT WORKS!!! ..the text flickers though BUT if sprites don't then I'll be so happy!

**EDIT because I feel bad for posting again**

Scratch that. opening a project and compiling results in the compiler literally doing nothing. no error message. no exe. just a partial green bar for the progress before the editor resumes as normal so its time to re-downgrade until i figure out how to get it working,,

**EDIT TO THE EDIT**

Not sure if it's a registry issue or what but now even deleting and re-copying my tried and true install over from an older computer won't let it compile anymore... quite convinced I essentially banned myself from DBP

**EDIT TO THE EDIT TO THE EDIT**

So,,, I suppose I solved it in a way.. a VERY drawn-out way that took hours and will take hours more, but with less tears. So I scrounged up my old DarkGameStudio CD and installed DBP from that. Then I copied the compiler folder from my original installation to this "new" one (so it can be activated). Then I was able to successfully install (for the first time it recognized my install now) the U77 DBP upgrade. Then I implemented the DBPro9Ex thing. THEN I copied all my projects over and merged with the default ones. Then I had to painstakingly sift through the default ones who had their media-files corrupted since it's an old disc and/or probably required the internet for the additional files. AND THENNN I still had the same problem but discovered any NEW project I saved would load successfully. . . So.. I spent the next few hours copying the code onto the clipboard, creating a new project, pasting the code, renaming everything to how it was, jerry-rig my essential programs to display at all (they are able to flicker (i guess i need to learn how to do the sync thing correctly )) ensuring they can be opened and ran, and repeating for every single one ..manually.

BUT now I have that "elegant install" i been b!tc#ing about. The help files work. compiles. uses a later version of directX. automatic compatibility. just a new thing to learn about refreshing for text elements in simple programs that I assumed I knew.. BUT FINALLY it works. Would delete this thread if i could. Marking this as an answer in case someone has similar problem (though i dont know how they'll get a disc for that part )
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2019 01:19 Edited at: 29th May 2019 01:25
It works in old DBPro 7.4

Edit: Windows 10 64-bit
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm; maybe it was a directX nuance with that infamous creators update. Regardless I now got it to work with that 9Ex thing with a much updated dbp
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2019 20:46
Modern Graphics Cards (Drivers) will only operate in a 32-bit (or above) Back Buffer; while the DirectX 8.1, 9.0 and 9.0c that DBP uses defaults to 24-bit (as 16/24 was Standard at the time)
Beyond this., 640x480 is only supported via Fallback with 800x600 being the "Minimum" Hardware Accelerated Mode without using a DirectX Emulation Layer.

It's great you've got DirectX9Ex working (personally I never could., it just causes all sorts of crashes)., but provided you uses Resolutions 800x600 (or above) and 32bit Depth; it will work fine.
Just don't use the Graphics Checklist as it lies... well technically it doesn't lie, but it isn't populated via Driver / Hardware anymore; rather it's populated by the DXEL that uses WARP that doesn't support most of the Classic Features.
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " it just causes all sorts of crashes "

Yeah I've noticed a few of those .. still hopefully I can work around as I don't know of any other way for me personally to get full screen working (then again I updated dbp and installed 9ex at the same time; maybe the updated dbp will work on its own without it; will give it a try) but if nothing else, new beast to play with; and possibly might just work.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2019 00:59 Edited at: 30th May 2019 01:00
If your editor will not allow you to set the initial display setting to Windowed - Full Screen, you can edit the Dark Basic Professional Project file.

test.dbpro
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2019 02:02 Edited at: 31st May 2019 09:30
While that's good information and I'll remember that I'm case something goes wrong; the editor works just fine in all instances. The executable causes the crash.

** UPDATE **

Been modifying some things (using sync the RIGHT way ) and lo-and-behold; EVERYTHING IS FANTABULOUS!! I literally did not believe a modern install with updated DX of DBP on a modern computer was at all possible. It feels shiny! it on my taskbar and i have confidence it'll just work!! Cant have sync on for anything where the program isn't in a loop (like an input command for example) and then text will flicker badly. but i'll accept that in a heartbeat if it means THIS . Besides, now jankey tests look like retro display systems from the 60s/70s!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:29:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:29:37