Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WIP: Alien Marathon - Alienware compo entry (screen shot)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 19:40 Edited at: 26th Dec 2003 22:37
Well, I finally think I have enough (barely) to post to get some feedback for my "entry." We'll see if I really actually get this done in time!

The game: you are an alien running in the annual Alien Marathon in Alien City! Aliens run really fast (over 100mph) and things can get exciting! In the finished game, you must complete each mile within a time limit or the game will be over. You will try to finish the course in the shortest amount of time possible.

First Screen Shot:

My compo web page for more info:
http://chomer.com/DBPro/alienware_compo/

Let me know what you think. I should have a download of what I have so far soon.

thanks... and happy holidays!

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 21:48 Edited at: 26th Dec 2003 21:49
That's looks so boring it's freaking BRILLIANT. Downloading now

Nevermind there is no dl

www.dbpcommunity.com - free webhosting
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 05:07
hookay...

anyone else? even a comment about needing to show more would be nice. lol

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 09:06
hmm well im not sure what else u have done but will this race be held inside the city what do u plan on people seeing while playing...make it nicely detailed

KOOLAID
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 14:46
it looks abit bland at the moment, although its hard to tell from only one screenie, post more!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 16:42 Edited at: 29th Dec 2003 23:02
Thanks guys. The city is "Alien City." Which actually will look alot like Chicago! The race course will be the same course (more or less) as the actual race course for the Chicago Marathon. There will be:
* roads (of course)
* curbs & sidewalks
* crowd barriers (with fans behind them)
* parks (like Grant Park)
* buildings
* bridges
* a flowing river (like the Chicago river)
* an elevated train (i hope to have the train going by just as you run underneath it!
* Mile markers and race time clocks
* starting line
* finish line
* aid stations (power ups)
* police baracades blocking off roads to the race.

hopefully a special thing or two to look at every mile (eye candy).

the whole thing is lineal, I'm decorating the whole route using mostly textured plains.

Give me a day or so and I should have more screen shots!

Kwiki Mart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 18:40
So it's a racer with out the cars? Ok that's new. Make some power-ups so you can kill or slow down the other runners. Make it just like a racer but with runners.

On target, On time!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 20:08
hehe, its not quite new, there was a game in which you race against 3 other tiny people around normal environments, it was pretty good, but i can't remeber the name!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 02:17
Someone with my mentality when it comes to deadlines...wait until the last week then get high on sleep deprivation!

I thought my to-do list was long orv!

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Jaze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 09:17
hahahah... ORV My man! Like he said - the TODO list - AHHHH.... You know what though - I haven't seen TO MANY entries yet - you might win that computer YET! I wish you well. I PERSONALLY like the concept... and I like the idea for the powerups... Maybe instead of water ... green slime ??? Maybe the occasional ONE SHOT gun you can pick up and get one shot to blast an opponant - miss? BEtter keep running and hope they don't get you...

The scenery additions can ONLY help.... THOUGH the CITY might be busy....(Dont have much time) what about the ROAD .. transparent - in SPACE runnign from one Space Station in space to another... with star sky-sphere backdrop and an occasional random "ship" buzz above or below the track....

You need SOME sort of Gimmick to make people go "WHOA" even if its not hard to do... like I play guitar and bass and stuff... and OFTEN the hardest technical eddie van halen or satriani stuff I play isn't what gets em - it the easy to play Cruch - or a that certain groove that makes em go "YEAH"... so... just trying to help ya out ... look at it differently maybe.

-=/Jaze/=-
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 17:36 Edited at: 29th Dec 2003 21:05
thanks for all the comments everyone! It gives me a little shot in the arm to keep working.

I know that my to-do list is long! But I also realize that I probably will not have this thing done by the dead line (even though they've given till Jan 2 now).

@Jaze - I did think of changing the race to be roads between "cloud cities" like in the Empire Strikes Back. But this for me is about finishing what I started. The plan was originally to do a marathon race in an environment similar to Chicago. It may not be as grand as some of my original thoughts on the subject were (a couple months ago), but the core of the game is unchanged in philosophy and design.

PROGRESS:
* My map editor is saving and loading now. It is exporting DATA statements that I can paste into the game source code.
* I've written a load routine which I placed in the game source code that reads the data statements and generates the 3D environment.
* I began actual map creation for the marathon game in my editor. Not much yet, a stretch of road and the starting line. It's a START tho!
* I redid my temp. place-holder splash screen and created the actual one (I like it... looks good to me).

There's a couple of flaky things going on in my editor that hopefully I can just work around for the moment.

I'll have to wait till this evening to do more work on the game and map building... I'm stuck at work -- tho things are slow due to the holidays! it is 9:35AM in Chicago right now!

I am hoping (no promises) to post some screenies this evening.

All the best - orv

orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 21:02
Just went and had lunch with my wife downtown. Then we went to where the Chicago Marathon starts and I took some shots with a cheap digital camera to get some textures!

We'll see later how this looks!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2003 21:15
Fingers crossed with the textures, eh?

There aren't that many entries (at the moment, anyway) so anyone who enters has got a chance. Good luck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:09:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:09:35