Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / C++ Tier 2 forum request

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2019 10:32 Edited at: 24th Sep 2019 10:38
Lately, I tried to use App Game Kit Source from github:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGKTier2

I got something compiled. But it is not as easy, as I hoped it would be. The tutorials for Visual Studio are missing some details. The tutorials for Android Studio are not working for me.
I understand, that it is complecated, to have all the updates and so on. I am using Visual Studio 2019 community edition. And for the moment I gave up on Android Studio.
I also understand, that for that exactly reason App Game Kit Studio with Tier 1 Basic is made for. So without hassle, that would be the way to go.
But we would also have to wait until The Game Creators implement something of there own into App Game Kit. So to help and or modify the API, we would need to use C++

Also I am thinking, that the C++ Tier 2 is more cross-platform and it would be possible to also export or compile our games for the game consoles like Nintendo Switch, XBox 360 / One, Playstation 4, maybe XBox (Classic)
Also there are many C++ source out there to "upgrade" App Game Kit with e.g. other music formats like mods (S3M, IT, XM) and or graphic formats for e.g. texture compression or anything like that.

To find help in C++ with Tier 2 in App Game Kit it is complecated, because most of the board here is about Tier 1 Basic. I like that. But to use C++ it is even harder to start with.
Also the sticky threads are closed. And with App Game Kit and Studio and also Windows related topics in different categories, it is much harder to find any useful information how to setup the C++ Tier 2 and or how to use there code in a Object Oriented fashion.

What I mean is, it would be nice, to have maybe here another topic especially for Tier 2 C++ related stuff. How to integrate some code, and maybe to engage more people how want to help to get the development further.

At the moment I try to understand the videos of javidx9

And "convert" them to App Game Kit Tier 2 C++. I got the "Tetris" tutorial to work in Visual Studio. Some pathes had to be changed. Mostly the LINKER and Source pathes.

There was an effort to bring more game templates to Tier 2 C++, but I guess, it was fallen asleep like maybe some of our game jams because of other priorities.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222600
I could fix the problem with XAudio2 missing in Windows 7 with installing DirectX 9.c
Problem occur also in App Game Kit Studio in Tier 1 Basic. But it seems, that in App Game Kit 1, this was not a problem. So I guess, since App Game Kit 2 there were some changes.

Not a big deal you think. But on some Windows 7 machines I am not the admin, so fixing that, is not as trivial.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2019 11:27
Yes I'll second that AppGameKit tier 2 needs it's own forum . I've never used it but it does deserve it's own place and one day I might like to learn it . Yes please TGC wave your magic wand.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2019 14:11 Edited at: 25th Sep 2019 14:16
I used the Pong-Tutorial "Template" and changed the code for the platformer. Here is the C++ for AppGameKit Tier 2

I renamed the cpp and h files to "agkGame", because "template" was not as nice.

credits to javidx9.

I also only commented the "pong-code", most of it is not in use. Also the methods for updating never called. There is no game_state and so on. Also the graphics and sounds are not in use. I wrote "Hello" to the screen to show that it works.

Coins are black. But you can collect them. They got not counted.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2019 11:26
The thing is,

who could I ask for App Game Kit Source help?

I don't have arrays, but I have agk::cHasedhList<int>
To implement another texture format like "BASIS" texture compression: https://github.com/BinomialLLC/basis_universal

cSpriteMgr.h
I guess, I would need to use somehow (cSprite*)m_pItem->GetImagePtr()->GetTextureID()

Somewhere we have a list of *pointers that point to a texture, I guess. And somehow I want to add a new "LoadImage()"-function, which would also create a texture in the right memory format, that AppGameKit Tier 2 C++ could understand.
Let's say, we would create a LoadBasisImage(), and it could handle BASIS-files like LoadImage() does it with PNG, JPEG and I guess GIF and Bitmaps.

Also strings seems to work a little bit harder, if I want to combine them in a agk:printe()-command.

so, looking into cImage.cpp
cImage::LoadFromData()

We also have:
SetCompressedPixelData( 0, 0 );
PlatformLoadFromData( m_iWidth, m_iHeight, (UINT*) bits );

so a Sprite points to an Image, and this points to an ImageObject cImage, where somewhere has to be also stored the Pointer to the pixeldata or the pixeldata itself.

maybe static UINT iCurrTexture[8];

I guess, in this part it does it somehow:

But I don't really know. So maybe some of you could help or maybe already integrated another image-data-format.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:25:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:25:59