Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Infinite Matrix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 21:10 Edited at: 26th Dec 2003 23:17
I'm working on a new feature of DarkWorld Editor, the ability to make lots of matrices, connect the tiles together, and save them as a "As big as you want" matrix.

This will put the matrices you made in a .MMF file, that can be saved and opened by the DarkWorld EDITOR. I will explain it after, 30 minutes, dinner-time

<updated>

Check the DarkWorld EDITOR website for more information
http://www.geocities.com/hatesurvivor/DarkWorld.html

Quote: "
Amd 2500+ | 1024mb pc2700 | A7N8X-X | Geforce4 ti 4200 128mb
"
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 12:56
I'd be more impressed if someone could tell me how to scroll off one matrix onto another. defeating the idea of needing one huge matrix and cutting down on update times.

Ok so its not a mouse.
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 17:56
its actually easy, conceptually. it can get rough when tracking multiple objects though.

Experiment with a matrix 1000x1000, 10x10 grids
Set the camera dead center looking down so you can see the entire thing....

Setup a basic matrix and texture it

now, as you move the camera accross the matrix, you need to check the position against the width of a tile. If the camera crosses a tile boundary, scroll the matrix one tile (back wards) and move it in the direction the camera moved (forewards).

Observer:
you notice that the grid under the camera "looks" the same, but the matrix will continously move in front of the the camera. Obviously, you can't play a game this way, but....

If the camera was at ground level, the fog and camera range were closer than the widht of your matrix, nobody will ever see the edges. And now, you have a playable world....

But, you will need to experiment with the above concept on the small scale to "learn" what's happening and how to handle it. Its alot trickyer than "just a natrix" but alot more useful.

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:35:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:35:27