Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / Amytric Pulse - Operation Euridike

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 23:52 Edited at: 6th Nov 2019 09:53

PLEASE READ THESE FOUR POINTS BEFORE YOU PLAY!

* This game uses the dividetexturesize = 2 command and runs therefore in half resolution. Sadly, this was necessary to get it to run at all. You can change this value back to 1 or 0 in the setup.ini if you wish to try running it in full resolution, as intended. Now, this will likely crash but if it happens to run for you, please let me know.

* While in game, you can press F12 to activate reshade. This will tint the game differently, add anti aliasing and a few other neat post processing improvements. It really does mask the fact that it runs in half resolution a bit HOWEVER
if you run re-shade: The loading screens will now no longer be visible. This means that you will miss out on the lore that I have put into those. If you wish to read them, you can switch re-shade off when a level is about to end (second autosave in a level) or read them as PNG files I packed with the game.

* Sometimes you might get a subscript out of bounds error during level load. This will usually not repeat if you restart the game, load your last save and continue again. I am sorry for the inconvenience and can understand if this is a deal breaker for you. However, with FPSC a lot of things are always compromises.

* IMPORTANT: This game runs in 1920*1080 by default. You can edit this by changing the "height" and "width" lines in the setup.ini with your preferred resolution.

Hey Gang!

I'm happy to finally release the public version of Amytric Pulse! Please let know what you think of the game, I always appreciate your feedback!

DOWNLOAD MEDIAFIRE

Amytric Pulse - Operation Euridike is a straight forward action fps with some subdued adventure elements.

I understand that through the years I have earned a bit of a reputation of doing new things in FPSC, new techniques, models, shaders... none of that is here. This is just a somewhat simple FPSC shooter and I guarantee that nothing about it reinvents the wheel. However I'm pretty confident that it'll be good fun.
You can expect the same type of game I used to release around 2010. I've specifically designed it to work within the limits of the memory cap while still featuring a lot of action, that is why some scenes seem a bit barren or low-poly. You can visit my art station gallery to see some of these older projects. In a way I am really glad I released this game as it is very similar in style and substance as the old FPSC SF "Shavra" games of which only 2 where finalized, albeit with game breaking problems. (See one of them here.)

P L O T

Personal Log of Agent Anja Sorensdottir:

Operation Scythe, a coordinated international offensive against the transgenic Collective was a dire failure and cost us most of our men and resources. While we managed to weaken the mutant forces significantly, they have struck us with such a fatal blow that it might have just been the final nail in the coffin for humanity as we know it.

Task Force Zero has already been reduced to a single active unit and in the wake of this grand assault, our men have been taken captive by the Collective.
Now reduced to a skeleton crew we concocted a plan to rescue our agents. Its really nothing more than a last ditch effort..., to send in the last remaining member of the Task Force, with hopes that he single-handedly exfiltrates a dozen captives from a formidable high security military installation.

However, to Agent Grimms immense credit he has accepted the mission without any hesitation. He appears confident that there is a chance for us to make a dent into their defenses and his demeanor had a calming effect on me during our preparations. If he can remain so restrained even though his fiancée is among those captured, why should I be such a nervous wreck? After all
he is the one actually sent in there while I'll only observe through his info-link.

We'll drop Grimm over the Qasqir Tower military installation, once a brutalist monument to the military strength of the Pan-Asian Coalition, now a center of operations for the Collective.
High altitude, low opening in the dead of night. There is a distinct chance he will not be noticed as the mutants likely don't expect a break in from the top. It is up to him to interface me with the buildings intranet so I can lock out the reinforcements from the lower levels of the tower. After that all he has is about an hour, maybe hour and a half before they circumnavigate my efforts and he'll be so outgunned that even a man of his caliber and particular skill set will be outmatched. If our agents are still alive, he is to find them. Our thermal-echolocation scan of the building revealed them to be held near the helipads, that is our only chance. If he manages to get to them in time we can send in a stealth helicopter to retrieve them. A lot of "ifs" and "buts" and no certainty.

I understand that I am likely the most efficient hacker still operating for the collective but I'd dread to be the one on com-line while they send Morgan Grimm to his death.

F E A T U R E S

* Its a new FPSC game that isn't a dull walking simulator with the spoopy closet monster! Yay!
* 9 Levels, some of them might even be good!
* Custom sound design and voice acting
* That homely old janky amateur production quality
* The game is kinda blue, its stylistically designed to be this way but I might have gone too far in a few places. (if you go with the intended look by pressing F12.)
* Sometimes you even get free surprise run-time errors! (I am sorry)

V I D E O S

SPOILERS

S C R E E N S H O T S

Notes to my Beta Testers

* Replaced initial appearance of Qasqir Tower to make it more coherent with what it looks in-game
* You should no longer be able to glitch through the vent shaft in level 3
* Additional Save Points and Save Points placed better
* Game Difficulty reduced with new AI in places
* Hostiles no longer use rocket launchers (subscript error still persists though)
* Clear Info Sheet in level 1 to explain what a health pack is
* G36 improved and picking up a rifle no longer loops the entire reload sound.
* Garage Door no longer opens into oblivion
* Some static health items are now dynamic

Not improved are:
* Error where the player is stuck after respawn. I was not able to replicate the issue
* Lack of interactivity in some areas. Given how I have to already run this at half resolution I was hesitant to add more HUD images... so if a console does not have an interaction prompt (F) its not interactive.

Thanks for checking it out!
Niclauke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2019 17:57 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2019 17:59
Started playing yesterday and finished today, and I must say - well done. This game is beautifully crafted, amazing job on creating this. What I found most appealing was both the level and the sound design. The atmosphere (both audio and visually) of the levels really made me feel I was playing a good game, instead of thinking I was playing an FPS creator game. I had to scout through all the levels just to see everything you had put into this, and I was very amazed!

Some thoughts on the levels (might be SPOILERS):

All in all, great work of art. Really impressed with this game.

Nic
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2019 16:50 Edited at: 4th Nov 2019 16:52
Thanks for playing Nic! I'm glad you enjoyed the game

Quote: "The atmosphere (both audio and visually) of the levels really made me feel I was playing a good game, instead of thinking I was playing an FPS creator game."

Thats high praise! Thank you!

Also glad to see some feedback!

As for the difficulty: Thats hard to gauge correctly. The beta was three times as hard with some enemies having hyper aggressive AI that could tear down your health in seconds.
I've removed it for the final release as the majority of my beta testers found it too punishing. Now I thought it was too easy but I see its still challenging (which is a good thing.)
Now generally the game plays best with a semi aggressive approach but its also intended that the player seeks cover before he attacks enemies rather than exposing himself. Maybe an additional level that makes that clear would have been in order but I also gave the player 15 lives (visible on the bottom left) so he doesn't have to go "game over" and re-load the game Its probably not that you suck at FPSC games, its just that I need to be more precise in explaining the game to the player next time before I throw in a dozen enemies. Also FPSC's hit scan weapons and the lack of directional sound just doesn't make the combat elegant... yet I think, as far as FPSC firefights go, the game holds up.

Quote: "Level 5 is probably the best i've seen with this engine"

Oh thank you!! Its the last level I made for the game as the original design didn't build in FPSC. The whole part with the large room and the lifts was added as kind of a large ditch attempt before I had to scrap the map and luckily, it built!! It was also a good opportunity as I had enough downtime to put in more plot via intercom.

Quote: "There is also an invisible door in level 8 by the start if you go to the left."

Aww! And I thought I fixed that. Yes, these doors tend to warp their textures out of existance depending on the angle you look at them. I never figured out why, just not gonna use them in a future game.

Quote: "There were also some small textures missing on the gas fuel thingie?"

Yes. I assume that is because of the game running in half resolution as they appeared properly in test game. Some garbage in a FPSC release is okay and I chose not to rebuild the game trying to fix that

-Wolf
s4real
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@wolf :- Well what a game this is def one of the best games made in fpsc for a long time.

I did find the levels very hard even when you made them easier some of them just shoot until you dead in a few seconds.

Level 2 seems almost impossible but I managed to pass the level with just 1 health lol.

level 3 this level was a easier to complete so all good there.

level 4 not got pass it yet lol.

==================================================================================================

The pros :-

Good design
Good voice over.
Great game play.
welldesigned.
Good use of lighting.
no framedrops.(but feel you need a good system to play.)

The con's

Game for me is still a little to hard .

well done on the release.

Best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2019 06:11 Edited at: 7th Nov 2019 13:20
Hey s4! Thanks for playing and all the feedback!

Quote: "level 4 not got pass it yet lol."

Oh I'm sorry to hear that :/ I will make sure my next game will have a more balanced difficulty curve. Now, if you want to give it another try, there is a video linked in the original post where I play level 4 myself, or, alternatively, here is a video of my pal Duke playing it. LINK

-Wolf
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2019 17:59
@ Wolf Terrific work !!! Finally finished this jewel of a game. And, Wow what a ride it was
Best shooter made so far with fpsc. The atmosphere, sounds & voice overs all come together nicely for a good experience.
Well laid out levels, and good battles with enemies makes for just the right fps game. These are the kind of games we love.
Thank you Wolf

Only cons/problems I had were,
1:That little problem with getting into/jumping into the vent shaft (level 4 I think) from a crate, I wound up on the roof again.
Need to jump just right to get into the shaft.

2: I tried to get a screen shot but it didn't save for some reason, level-7 I think, one or two "door" textures were missing? One can see out into the empty map area
Could be just one of those fpsc glitches.. lol

3: Sometimes, Not always... when the player died, I would re-spawn, then "slowly" sink into the floor and get stuck/frozen ???
Only happened 3-4 times ? throughout all 9 levels. Strange

4: After playing one or more levels the next level loading crashes, no consistency to when it would crash. Just during "loading" next level.
I believe we have all mentioned this same problem as a memory issue with fpsc itself
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 7th Nov 2019 20:34
There's no way I'm going to get through this, though I did make it into the second level. My GeForce card died and I'm stuck with the integrated Intel Graphics @ 128MB. . I'm getting a max of 14FPS and when enemies show up, it's like and old flip book. Any more than 2 and I'm dead.

What I've seen so far in terms of game play and level design is awesome. It kind of pisses me off that you seem to be able to do it so quickly and easily but...
Seriously nice work. Thanks for the fun.
Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2019 14:24
@ncmako Thanks for playing and all your feedback!

Quote: "Best shooter made so far with fpsc. The atmosphere, sounds & voice overs all come together nicely for a good experience.
Well laid out levels, and good battles with enemies makes for just the right fps game. These are the kind of games we love."

Oh thanks a lot!! I'm happy that you've enjoyed it.
I've had quite a few games like this practically completed all these years ago! Sadly they never built or ran in the FPSC versions available back then. Its a shame, because we still had a larger community at the time...but alas!

Quote: "I wound up on the roof again."

Heh! I tried to block it off better this time... well, next time I won't design an environmental puzzle like this. Should have done a bit more testing to make double sure players can no longer glitch out of the map

Quote: "Sometimes, Not always... when the player died, I would re-spawn, then "slowly" sink into the floor and get stuck/frozen ??? "

Yes, another player mentioned this to me as well, so far I was not able to replicate the issue but I did have this problem in older FPSC games of mine, like Euthanasia.

I hope you'll also try my next FPSC title!

@xplosys: Oh dear, yes, I can see how this won't run at all with an integrated card. I hope you find the time to give it another spin once/if you upgraded to a new computer. I also fully intend to do that walkthrough version. Its just that building an FPSC game of this size takes several hours and I didn't have the time to do it. Well...no, thats not entirely true... I had the time where I could have let the computer run but I didn't remember to do so. So! I will find the time AND remember soon.

Quote: "What I've seen so far in terms of game play and level design is awesome. It kind of pisses me off that you seem to be able to do it so quickly and easily but...
Seriously nice work. Thanks for the fun. "

My pleasure! Thanks a lot! And yes, the magical thing about TGC's game making software is how fast you can set up a project. I tried many times to have that really advanced project, where I'd tinker away for a year or more and produce something really tried, tested and polished but I just can't muster up that discipline for something that is, in the end, supposed to be a fun hobby. It eventually becomes a chore. So yes, FPSC allows you to start a project and have it out in motion in 2 months given that you put in an hour or 2 every other day and you just won't ever see that with the unreal engine. So quick? Yes! Easy? Kinda... making the game is easy in a lot of ways but getting it to run, compromising and fixing stuff is still demanding. I am glad that I had help this time around from people who are far more skilled than I am. Again, there would be no game without s4real and Nomad!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2019-11-21 10:49:39
Your offset time is: 2019-11-21 10:49:39