Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / HexToBase64() to string and string to original sequence of numbers?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

I'm using procedural generation for quite a few of my games and I am experimenting with setting a seed number, so I can have a seed of random numbers that will give the same level each time. My question is, how can I best convert a very long number to a string and more importantly how do I convert it back? I don't think AppGameKit Studio has a FromBase64String() command unfortunately?

Using HexToBase64(int) works for converting it to a string, but there is no command to convert it back again? Any suggestions on how to go about this or should I just write my own encoding / decoding?

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2020 21:11
integer Val( str, base )
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
What exactly should 'base' be?? Is it the length of the string, the original integer length or something else entirely? Because any integer higher than 0 pretty much crashes it. And using 0 results in nothing being converted. Unless I'm missing something obvious, I'm stuck here.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2020 22:21
I know val(string, 16) will convert hex
I'm pretty sure val(string, 8) will convert octal and val(string, 2) will convert binary
I would say if your string doesn't conform to the base it would probably crash
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, that definitely makes it crash. I'm still a bit confused lol.

Converting to Hex and back works fine (haven't checked large strings). But I would ultimately want a player to input a seed value, like in games like Binding of Isaac. So people can play the 'same' level from a seed. Might have to just write my own converting of a random seed to a string of sorts though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:35:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:35:12