Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Scene Editor problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2020 04:40
Am I the only one who thinks the scene editor is borderline useless?

Multiple sprite selection is clunky, cannot use ctrl-left button to select multiple objects
Objects are not selected until the mouse button is released. This is very annoying. I am constantly having to reselect objects because of this
Numerous display bugs. Constantly have to close the editor and reopen it to refresh things.
Text in the properties panel does not wrap. I have to resize it to see everything
Snap to grid not saved between sessions
You set snap to grid for each individual object. Why can't we set it for the entire scene? (might just be missing something here)
scenes are not saved with File->Save menu option. You have to select Save in the scene editor

I am running this on a MacBook Pro. Is it because the Mac version is not quite ready for prime time????

Phil
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 4th Feb 2020 16:05
so have you reported the issues on github? nothing will get fixed if bugs/issues are not reported there....simples.....yes in a bad mood ha
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Objects are not selected until the mouse button is released. "

That's how it should be though. I've done things selecting multiple sprites in a scene and it works fine here. I can see how a CTRL click to add to a selection would be useful. Then again, I'm not using that many sprites to change at once very often.
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think scene editor is great for menu and button placements. One thing that helps saved me time is creating function for common task such as center a button horizontally with animation. When the game gets more complex calling this function saves time.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2020 11:43
The scene editor isn't ready for Prime Time on any OS yet... Probably why it's a bit more of a "hidden" feature.

Personally my biggest bug bear with it, is that it neither has seemless integration, nor does it automatically scale... So for it to be useful for Non-Mobile Apps (or even multiple Mobile platforms that have distinct Resolutions) you have to do a fair amount of manual cleanup. At which point you more or less could've or should've just custom made said UI... For now I'd just use it as a visual guideline.

I mean I think a big issue with things like this, and it's happened with most TGC "visual" tools, is that they themselves never really use them.

So while on paper they might have everything they technically need, they're about as usable as a chocolate fireguard.

2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
It crashed often on me. Today I tried to rearrange some of the tiles around and it won’t let me. Then I tried draw mode and it only place tile on far right. I restarted the application several times and still can’t edit scene correctly. The scene file I have is pretty much frozen. I’m leaning toward of creating my own UI for side scrolling platform and output results to text file.
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2020 02:16

I used it for one simple project and then tried to use it on another, simple project... got so frustrated that I gave up. Better off coding the screens by hand.

I feel like I wasted my money on AppGameKit Studio. I like the language, but the supporting tools need a lot of work. This is the 2nd time I feel like I've been burned by AppGameKit (Visual Editor, anyone?)

And, yes I did report the issues on their GitHub site but was not overly satisfied with their responses.

Phil
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Game Salad got a nice UI to drag and drop. It can create common simple games but lack programming language like AGK.

I still love AppGameKit and think it’s the best 2D game development to date.
pjsmith67
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2020 19:34
Quote: "I still love AppGameKit and think it’s the best 2D game development to date."

Yes, don't get me wrong... I may be critical at times about their tools, but the AppGameKit language is very good, powerful and easy to use and I will continue to use it. There are too many things I like about the language to switch to anything else.

Phil
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Surely wasted money on Visual Editor, but Studio help alot when it come to quick design a screen.
Agree there is some BUG's still... but I believe there is a upgrade this month, and if we don't reports on github, they won't get fixed.
Let see whats new and whats fized with the upgrade

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:40:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:40:46