Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] W.W.II Operations: Desert Front - Experience WW2 North Africa Like Never Before!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello There! (Obi-Wan Memes)
W.W.II Operations has just finished its development after one year. Updates will come out for sure!
Things to be added in future updates:
- Missions (Duh)
- Graphics (Thanks Black Ice Mod for that)
- Gameplay Mechanics
- More glitches, just kidding I will definitely fix glitches if you find any

Now, for ze description:
W.W.II Operations: Desert Front is a World War 2 first-person shooter that takes place during the Western Desert Campaign (1940-1943)

- American Campaign: You will play as soldiers from the 9th Infantry Division of the U.S Army, sent to Rabat during Operation Torch, 1942. Your mission is to liberate the country from Nazi occupation, fight alongside with your platoon and help them get through the toughest of situations.

Start from the shores of Morocco to German -occupied villages and Nazi bases, experience the Invasion of Rabat like never before!

New Campaigns coming soon, especially the Italian Campaign if this game succeeds.

This one's for the lols

Anyway, here's the store page: https://warlines.itch.io/wwii-operations-desert-front
Medal of Honor
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2020 15:57
I gave this game a go and figured I'd let you know what I think.
I actually wanted to take a couple screenshots but it decided not to save those for some reason so I just put my impressions in writing.

At first glance, this seemed to be really neat. You get actual ww2 footage as an intro rather than just dumping the player on to a title screen and the intro narration is well enough done.
Where it falls apart is the actual game. Its bad. I mean really bad. It looks terrible, its quite dull to play and it has the over all feel of an early FPSC demo level.

It drops you into a set of segment build alleys where you kinda roam around. Occasionally a nazi shows up like a whack-a-mole and you dispose of him. There are 2 allies at the start who give you some introduction to the mechanics. However, this is awkward as well. I was already trying to jump over the barb wire barricade when the game froze me mid jump...to explain to me how to jump. Its a decent effort that you went with voice acted characters but you shouldn't have your in-game characters tell you what button to press. As in, in game chars shouldn't acknowledge that you are playing a video game.

The weapon feels amazingly stiff right away. Anyone can live without iron sights but without any gunsway/lag its just sort off stiffly attached to the players camera...the animations that thing has aren't helping but good job with the sounds. (btw, a ww2 thomspon had no muzzlebrake, so you use entirely the wrong flash effect when it fires...but believe me, boy howdy is that the least of this games problems.)

The worst thing about desert front is the flickering. I know you get the occasional texture flicker in most FPSC games but no game had it as bad as this. Everything flickers, all the segment constructions have glitching textures galore. Its a real eyesore. The art direction is non-existant as well. Various rock textures (some are not tiled properly, some are worn, others clean...) thrown into a map to make a semblance of an african town but it just kind of looks like a childs effort at playing lego. All doors and windows are awkwardly intersecting these unnatural looking structures. Occasionally you get an interesting part but its all drowned out by baffling design choices along the way. Whenever you try to jump on to the many boxes, you can glimpse the out-of bounds areas of the map. While I didn't manage to glitch out of the level, I could see in to the skybox on several occasions.

Another major bug is that apart from texture flickering, some times half of the segment constructions blink out of existance. When you turn around in the starting area, that wall disappears depending on how you look at it. Level 2 disappears entirely sometimes depending on where you turn the camera in the beginning.
Too bad I don't have any screenshots so there is too much to cover here... but you should really invest a couple hours in learning basic art direction. Textures clash, some models look very undefined due to the lack of proper lighting (seriously, if you want to craft some type of ambience here, learn how to use lightmapping. these maps are about as flat and unappealing as stale soda.) and then there is the down right offensive texture on the arm. That uniform thingie.

Also, don't show the player things he then can not use. Enemies dropping visible guns you can't pick up, MG42 nests you can not use, and ladders to watch towers you can not climb (you put a box there in level 1...at least).

Gameplay...there ain't no gameplay. You just kinda stroll through these corridor like levels and shoot the occasional nazi. They don't use any chatter, they are never in groups, they all make the stock fpsc death sound (-.-) and you can't pick up their guns as they use a different model pack as the player. (I do applaud you however for at least not mixing gun packs.) This really has none of the original MOH series you where inspired by. Just really go back playing and studying these titles, take some screenshots, watch some making offs... As it stands, this is simply no fun and an eye sore to look at.

Something else I have to mention is that in 2 locations I find a german billboard that says...that there is a train going from Saarbrücken to Paris with prisoners (or something along those lines.) 1.This would never be a public notice 2. Why would that be in Africa?

You've been using fpsc for so long that I find it baffling that this turned out the way it did... the screenshots you presented made me hope for a far superior game. I can work with indie jank but you gotta give me something, anything!

Not all was bad though! I liked the german soldier that surrendered and the fact that you included hidden areas. Also at least you made SOME custom media albeit rare.
Level 3 crashed for me but at that point I kinda had enough.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2020 03:32 Edited at: 13th Feb 2020 03:32
Thanks for the review, Wolf!

The trailer for the game just came out!

Medal of Honor
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 13th Feb 2020 17:46
Nice work on the trailer, and congrats on the finished game and IndieDB posting.
Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot xplosys!
Medal of Honor
Tomas Forum
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2020 10:18
Looking good! X9 is still the best.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Tomas!

The game also recieved a few updates, the latest one being 1.3: https://warlines.itch.io/wwii-operations-desert-front/devlog/125616/desert-front-13

Including a NOICE LOOKING main menu and noice music, and fixes of course
Medal of Honor
Ghost_LOL
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Pvt.Dan, yesterday i've finished your game, so here's my thoughts (mostly about gameplay, i don't pay as much attention to details as Wolf ;p )
Maybe bad news first - One of the biggest disappointments of the whole game is that you can't pick up enemy guns why? I know you don't want this game to be too easy, but thats the cheapest, and most frustrating way to do it. Another bad thing is that in whole game there is maybe only two or three situations when I was fighting more than one enemy at once. Most of the time I'was free roaming and killing bad guys one by one, and thats not very entertaining ;p Next complain - sometimes there is a door that requires a key to open BUT there is window you can shoot and walk through right next to it - I don't know if it's intentional, but it was funny anyway About weapons - sniper rifle should kill bad guys by one shoot, if it don't then it's broken (imo :p), and when you lookin' through the scope, mouse sensitivity increases drasticly, and prevents player from having fun (easy to fix in the gunspec). And last but not least - i dont't know if it's my or the games fault but my reload button is not working, BUT sometimes my wapon would reload without me doing anything.

Ok now I can talk about some good things First of all your levels are really big, they have a lot of open space (at least by fpsc standards) and i like it - it's a nice change from usual tight corridors in most of fpsC games And on top of that all the levels are working I've never seen FpsC game with such big levels working without even one error or freeze - so props to you for that Another thing is that there could be a bit more variety to it (and less stock media plaease). Next good thing is that you did some cutscenes, and they really help to deliver some drama to your game Next thing is, as i said before - game works flawlessly - no freezes, no errors, every level loads any time you want it - sometimes you can almost forgot it's still FpsC ... almost ... Also i really like that explosives model you have - it's so big its funny

So thats all for now, but hang on becouse I've recorded my play-through, tommorow i'll upload it (i have bad connection right now), so you can see some things, and maybe improve them
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the review GHOST!

Yeah I've understood some of its flaws now, and that can be fixed right away!
I'll have to answer some of your questions though:
- The reason why you can't pick up enemy guns is because they are from a different model pack, 68 and 69. I tried to give the enemies stock weapons but they end up glitching for whatever reasons lol. Why I'm giving the player stock WW2 weapons though, is a whole different story (Either to create variety between my games so people don't say I reuse models like Call of Duty, or just because the 68-69 weapons have that odd look to them when held in first person).
The above is the main reason, now for the excuse: You can't pick up enemy weapons in a lot of games including Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Delta Force, SOCOM (But now I realize they are all tactical shooters I kinda understand why)
- The window breaking was intentional, so you can choose multiple ways to get in, but the 2 other objectives need to be properly opened by the key anyway lol
- The sniper rifle being a 2-shot kill is to get the player to make use of the headshot, but I guess I'll make a poll in the Discord server to see what people prefer
- The reload button bug is an issue I've never heard of before, none of the players had this kind of issue, I'll look into it if I get some more reports

Thanks a lot for the good reviews! I was really surprised by how well the finished game ran too, I tried my best to optimize it, my friend even managed to do a speedrun of it, without crashes, which blew my mind
Medal of Honor
Ghost_LOL
Years of Service
User Offline

As i promised - my gameplay of your game. Sorry its only 480p but when i try to upload bigger files, my internet is not letting me do that. And there was some fps drops in some places, becouse my laptop isn't happy when it comes to fraps-recording.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for giving the game a try!
Medal of Honor
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey there guys! Welcome back to W.W.II Operations: Desert Front! I've got good news!
The game has recently got into the TOP 100 List of Indies of The Year, and I was so shocked to know that it made it this far!
But now the battle is yet to end, there's still a Top 10 so we can slap an "Indie of The Year" title on an FPS Creator game for the first time in years! How oddly epic is that?!

Dear all brothers in arms who still use FPS Creator, this is our fight now, and let's make this the biggest return of the engine as a whole! Make Bamber proud!

Vote here now soldato:
https://www.indiedb.com/groups/2020-indie-of-the-year-awards/top100/?fbclid=IwAR1rKZnNTzq3vCAWfnF9yCmj9PKtQgQPam_dBWoSJknPwMv29nvUF8koWJM#vote72881

Once you scroll down you will see WWII Operations: Desert Front, and a red vote button on its left, that's the button to glory, let's fight! OORA!

Medal of Honor
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Today marks the first ever birthday of W.W.II Operations: Desert Front! Let's give it a hug!

Warlines has also decided to release Update 1.8 and some cut content, wooo!!
https://warlines.itch.io/wwii-operations-desert-front/devlog/218881/wwii-operations-desert-front-1-year-anniversary
Medal of Honor

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:25:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:25:41