Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Error: Joystick 0 does not exist

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2020 18:06 Edited at: 18th Mar 2020 18:07
I have this code

When I run it, it will work fine, but then when I make a change, say delta*200 to delta*100, suddenly I get the message "Error:Joystick 0 does not exist" and it will point me to the GetRawJoystickY(1) line. Even if I change the code back the way it was, it won't work. Leave the computer for a few minutes, then it works again. It seems to work all the time if I run debug, and if I compile only, then run the .exe. But when pressing the green arrow, I seem to have a few runs, then the error.
Weird thing is, I am not reading joystick 0, and the docs say that joysticks are numbered 1-8, so the error doesn't make sense to begin with.

Edit to add: I am using AppGameKit Classic 2019.12.16 version

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2020 20:23 Edited at: 18th Mar 2020 20:24
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I think the error flags index 0 even though it starts at 1 in code. What may be happening is an intermittent failure of device enumeration prior to polling for input. And it could be getting triggered (intermittently or otherwise) by certain compile/run methods rather than others.

Are you enumerating your device(s) before trying to poll it/them? Any raw joystick commands should be preceded with this outside of the main loop:

CompleteRawJoystickDetection()

If you're not doing that, try this next and see if it changes the behavior at all. If the failure still occurs (particularly intermittently), then it's also a good idea to always check for a device's existence before trying to poll from it. So change your polling lines to something like this:

You can also optionally check for a device's existence right after enumerating, then display an error message if no device is detected before your main loop ever executes.
TomToad
Years of Service
User Offline
CompleteRawJoystickDetection() seems to have done the trick. Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:54:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:54:21