Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Pantai (Beach) : A Mini MMO, Relax and Chat on the Beach!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2020 11:54 Edited at: 27th Nov 2020 02:05
Pantai (Beach)
-Let's go to the beach! A mini MMO. Chat with other players, fish, surf the ocean, customize your character, listen to songs, buy and sell, and many more.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitbit.santai

Things to do:
- Chat with other players
- Choose a photo as your character's face
- Fish various saltwater tropical fishes
- Surf the ocean, travel to various islands (WIP)
- Earn money by selling fishes/bugs/birds at the shop
- Buy/sell various clothes and tools at the shop
- Customize your character with various clothes, hats, accessories
- Listen to chill songs by Naquib and other guest musician
- Relax and listen to sea waves

QUICK INSTRUCTIONS:
- Walk to an object/NPC, and tap the screen on the NPC to interact with them.
- Use/equip Items in your wallet/pocket by dragging them to your character
- Fish by equipping the fishing rod, and then go near the water, and tap the screen to cast the rod. If the fish bites, tap the screen quickly to pull the fish in.
- Use nets to catch bugs and birds
- After starting the game for the first time, it would ask you to input your character name and game password. After that, you can choose to snap a selfie for your character face.
- To get easy money, click on the signboard with the money bag sign to watch an advertisement and get 10 Riyal ( in- game currency). Or sell fishes, bugs, birds, ect

Whew ok now that the sales pitch is over. I just made this little relaxing game as a hobby. It's an online multiplayer game. It's still in Beta phase (or maybe Alpha), so expect some bugs. The game is mostly in Malay language, but simple enough to navigate by the icons.
Please have a try. It's free on Google Play. Tell me what you think, suggestions, ect.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xtremi
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't test it yet, but that's some really nice water effect on the beach!
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for checking the game out xtremi. Originally I just wanted to make a game where we can just boot it up, and relax while looking at the bach and listening to the waves.

Also,
There seems to be a bug with GetNetworkClientDisconnected command. Because of that, other clients that has logged out still persists in the world, looking like ghost/shell of their former self.
The bug doesn't appear on my local LAN testing. I suspect the bug is related to online networking when the server in online on the internet. I'm still investigating.
Nevertheless, the game is playable.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2020 19:25
This may be normal
Quote: "
Disconnected clients are not automatically removed from the client list, allowing you to handle their clean up properly. Once you have dealt with this client you must remove it from the client list by calling DeleteNetworkClient. The client may persist for a little while until the background network code gets around to actually deleting it so be prepared for this client to hang around for a few frames declaring that it is disconnected and make sure you only clean it up once. You can detect this by setting one of the SetNetworkClientUserData values to notify yourself that it has been dealt with.
"

Source: https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/Multiplayer/GetNetworkClientDisconnected.htm

BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2020 02:02 Edited at: 29th Jun 2020 02:03
Seems like there's a inherent bug with GetNetworkClientDisconnected(). If called while the game network is using internet connection (not LAN), it will fail to detect disconnected clients forever.
This makes logged-off players still can be seen although they already logged out.

Fixing the server with a workaround right now. WIll also upload a new client on Google Play. Probably will take 1 day for the new update to be alive. Server will not function correctl until new client is updated on Google Play.
Sorry for the inconveniences.
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2020 13:58 Edited at: 26th Jul 2020 16:24
I have fixed the disconnection issues.
I have added secondary method to detect disconnections, to facilitate cleanup. This method uses back and forth 'ping' from server to client, and disconnect them if no ping detected within acceptable timeframe.
Seems to be working alright from my tests.
Now I'm waiting for the newest client app to be live on Google Play.
I will update the forum when the update comes live, or any progress.

EDIT: I am unable to reproduce the disconnection failure bug. Subsequent test with newly-exported server seems to be functioning normally. I suppose there is some kind of export corruption from AppGameKit Studio previously, but I am not sure. I'm glad it seems to pass.
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2020 04:50 Edited at: 28th Sep 2020 01:28
The update is live! The disconnection failure issues seems to be fixed now.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitbit.santai

Still need to wait for AppGameKit creators to fix SaveImage() bug, which makes Android saved image transparency lost. If the bug is fixed, we can have transparency on avatar's face, so the head can have proper shape/outline.

Thread discussing the bug https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/226505
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2020 14:22 Edited at: 6th Jul 2020 14:23
Now there are butterflies on the island. We can catch them with bug nets, which can be bought at the store. Caught butterflies can be sold at the store for money. Update is live at Google Play

BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2020 04:03 Edited at: 26th Jul 2020 20:00
I have updated the game with:
- Seagulls
- New clothes
- Prop weapon - Keris
- New look for coconut tree
- Fixed some bugs

Testing seagulls movement...

If you're unable to play, please update the game on Google Play. The old client was obsolete.

Planned feature:
- Friend list
- Letter sending/receiving
- Island expansion
- Coconuts as throwable tool
- And more...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2020 13:23 Edited at: 26th Jul 2020 16:16
I've added a mailing system and friend list.
If we met somebody in-game, we can add them as in-game contacts.
Then, we can send letters to those contacts, even if they are offline. The letter will be delivered to them once they have logged in.
The main purpose of this feature is to allow players to communicate with each other privately, for example to share private contact info, ect. It will also allow players to reach their friends that are not currently online with them.

How To Send Letters:

After you have added some friends, go to the mailbox and tap on it:

Spend 5$ in-game money to send a letter:

Choose a friend from the friendlist as the recipient:

Write the letter...

And the letter will be sent

The recipient will see the mailbox blinking. Interact with the mailbox to receive the letter

Read the letter!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2020 14:12
This looks really cool. (and the girl looks really cute BTW)

That water is excellent. Very well done. Can't imagine it any better.

I would give it a spin, but my Android device is down at the moment.

Although this may look really simple from the 2D faces in the screenshots, and the basic shapes for the bodies, the features and basic template are really awesome. (watch the video people)

Best of luck with this, and this is something definitely worth putting more time into building on it.

Great work.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2020 15:02 Edited at: 27th Jul 2020 00:43
Thank you for checking the game out and your kind words Conjured Entertainment.

I'm still not quite decided on the player character's body style. So for now I just stick with the boxy style, which is quite easy to make things for. Probably in the future, if the basic features and the stage layout is properly expanded, I will try to model better characters and equipments. I also want people to be able to add their own photos/images as their unique character's face, hence the 'flat' face, because there doesn't seem to be other practical way to convert people's photos to 3D model to be used as their face.
So for now, I will try to sort of follow the style of 'Boku No Natsuyasumi' (My Summer Vacation) games. Painted/realistic background, but with cartoonish characters.

I made the game mostly just for a proof-of-concept for a sort of 'mass' multiplayer game. The initial idea is just to make a small and simple stage/plaza where a lot of people will gather, to see how many people can be supported at a time. However it seems that I'd have to add more things to the the stage design and more activities if I want people to have interest to play it in the first place. Looking at it objectively, players that prefers goal-oriented games might find that there are still not terribly much activities to do in-game, as the game was designed not to be mission-based. The game is better for when you're looking to play something to wind down, or just wanted to space out and relax, and sometimes you can find some company from likeminded players due to it's multiplayer nature.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2020 20:59 Edited at: 26th Jul 2020 21:00
Don't get me wrong... I like the style, because simple is good especially when having a lot of users. (minecraft, runescape, etc. and they became huge)

Your activities can grow in time with more development, but for now fish enthusiasts could have a lot of fun.

I was thinking it would be nice to have boats to buy , or charter, to head off to other islands or to use as private rooms for friends to gather with more privacy.

The boats might also allow for better fishing further offshore. (bigger fish for bigger money to get boat investment back)

Maybe one day private islands could be for sale. (this island idea has unlimited potential really)

I think it is great just to have the multiplayer aspects for people to congregate and have fun for now.

This is a great start, and leaps and bounds beyond my multiplayer efforts so far.

Your effort here is impressive and inspiring.

BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2020 00:00 Edited at: 29th Jul 2020 01:10
Regarding the 'personal home/island' idea, do you think it would be acceptable if the boat just automatically 'teleport' us to the personal home, without exploration? Which means it would be disconnected from the main island.
Or do you think it would be better if the main island beach is made to be infinitely stretching to one side, and players can put their home/tent on the infinite beach themselves? In this case everything will be connected as one, and players can walk there.

Also, a small update. Now we have footsteps on the beach. I have made it so the number of footsteps at a time to be quite a lot, so players who likes to do that can enjoy walking around leaving their footsteps.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2020 15:52
Quote: "Regarding the 'personal home/island' idea, do you think it would be acceptable if the boat just automatically 'teleport' us to the personal home, without exploration? Which means it would be disconnected from the main island.
Or do you think it would be better if the main island beach is made to be infinitely stretching to one side, and players can put their home/tent on the infinite beach themselves? "

It was just a thought.

Do whatever works for you, but I would like the separate islands.

The tent idea is good too, and the infinite beach with tents would be great, so it boils down to what you want.

Maybe both, if you start with the tents, and then whenever it grows where people have too far to walk, then the boats could come into play.

Again, I was just having random thoughts after watching the video.

BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2020 03:22 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2020 03:41
Added throwable coconuts with physics to the island.
Shake the coconut tree and some coconuts will drop. Equippable as throwable tools, and sellable at the shop.
Animals are also aware of coconuts being thrown at them.
Will probably add extra functions to them later.
For now, there is no limit to how many coconuts we can shake off the tree. So go nuts

Mounds of coconuts
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2020 20:04 Edited at: 17th Aug 2020 15:21
Hello. I have made a few improvements.

1) Revamped the ocean. The game is now open-world. Sail anywhere, the world is your oyster. An empty oyster for now though... The open sea is planned to be populated by players's personal islands down the road, later, after completing main island elements

2) Motorized surfboard. Ride the surfboard as a lightweight method of transportation. Later, we can visit other people's islands just by traversing the ocean. Still need more content to make the sea more fun to explore.

Video testing the motorized surfboard:

For now, I want to focus on generating more content for the main island. Can't have it be a barren patch of sand forever. Will probably make 2-3 main islands of various sizes and style to form a sort of main archipalego
Lupo4mica37
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2020 03:18 Edited at: 19th Aug 2020 03:21
Quote: "So for now, I will try to sort of follow the style of 'Boku No Natsuyasumi' (My Summer Vacation) games. Painted/realistic background, but with cartoonish characters."

Very good idea and that music from the animation movie, really nice!

Good foundation you got here.

All the best with your project and projects!
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for checking it out.
Although I wonder if a game which is less 'tense' such as this and that game will have people's interest. Probably only with a niche group. But, nevertheless I will try to make it to be good for what it's for.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2020 14:09 Edited at: 19th Aug 2020 14:10
Quote: "Although I wonder if a game which is less 'tense' such as this and that game will have people's interest. Probably only with a niche group. But, nevertheless I will try to make it to be good for what it's for."

Some fishing games have done well in the past and the sport is has it variety of TV shows as well, so I think that element could attract a small user to base to get started.

A decent variety of fish and skill levels to catch them would be just the thing to hook them. ( you already have a great start on that )

For us indies, it is all about getting the game seen instead of being buried in the thousands of search results for any topic. (especially being bumped down below advertisers)

It is the advertising of the games that will take them to the next level of users, so once you have it full of various features, and the world is being explored and enjoyed by those first users, then the less tense crowd could have the social interaction they are seeking.

I imagine that those who find it seeking social interaction may leave it in its infancy and not stick around for it to get a bigger user base.

You already have some 'friends' elements to encourage sharing to advertise word of mouth, and that is a key to indie advertising since it is free.

So, with a good fishing element to 'hook' the first users, and a good way for them to share with their friends, then the user base will grow as your game grows.

I was impressed when I first saw this, and I am still convinced that it has huge potential, so keep at it.

You are already leaps and bounds ahead of my 'large project to grow with', as I have not even got a demo of the WIP ready yet, and I have been kicking it around for years.

You have motivated me to go back to work on it though, and I have been making some good progress on the tons of artwork it needs, so I hope to join you soon in presenting something playable and worrying about my user base.

BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2020 18:06 Edited at: 19th Aug 2020 20:38
That's a good idea, emphasizing specific aspect of the game to specific audience. I shall keep that in mind when making screenshots/ trailer videos and choosing who I show it to.
I don't want a lot of people to play it yet, at this state. Not until next year maybe, after all the basic mechanics is in place. Even the basic elements such as gestures, fish type, bug types, and clothing is in need of more variety.
Now I'm focusing on modelling more assets; houses, boulders, trees, and such. And after that, to spawn/despawn the islands and its elements on the fly depending on player position.

But all of this depends on the state of AppGameKit itself. I strongly hope the future AppGameKit updates and version continues the current core engine, and keep it compatible with Google Play and IOS.
Next year, all Google Play apps need to use App Bundle. If dev team still didn't update AppGameKit to conform with new requirements, I guess I can kiss the project goodbye lol.

But, whatever it is, I should keep my aim in mind, which is to make an accesible game where a lot of people could easily hang out in. This island project could be something above my ability, but let's see how far it can go
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2020 00:50 Edited at: 20th Aug 2020 00:52
Quote: "But all of this depends on the state of AppGameKit itself. I strongly hope the future AppGameKit updates and version continues the current core engine, and keep it compatible with Google Play and IOS.
Next year, all Google Play apps need to use App Bundle. If dev team still didn't update AppGameKit to conform with new requirements, I guess I can kiss the project goodbye lol."

I am sure TGC wants to stay compatible with Android and iOS to maintain the code once deploy multiple platforms. (the mobiles are too critical to ignore)

In a worst case scenario of delay or noncompliance, there is always PC builds, and Android outside of Google Play distribution.

I am fed up with the big boys running their monopolies and making it harder and harder for anyone to compete.

That is why I am focusing on PC and HTML5 builds, with the browser builds taking a front seat. (even Google is messing that up with Chrome, but FireFox still rocks)

Still lots of folks playing browser games at libraries, even older adults. (amazed to see lots of elderly people playing browser games as I walk by)

Not arguing the fact that everyone and their brother is using mobiles, but many of them play PC games too, so Google cannot spoil, or own, all the fun.

I have not put anything up on Steam yet, but that is another option for PC builds that can get a lot of exposure.

BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:
- Added a new guitarist NPC. Also added a new song to the previous singer NPC.
- Musician NPC now walks around
- Added real-time clocktower. Will add sounds later
- Added a traditional house. Working on interior.

Also experimenting on some scenes, such as multileveled waterfall. The waterfall and river itself is looking nice, but waterfalls need a whole hills and forest in an open world, which will take quite a lot of time. Probably I'll just use it as a separate confined scene. For now it's not included in the game yet.
Lupo4mica37
User Offline
Keep going brother. Do you use Game Guru to create your world? How do you load your 3D models with animation and textures? What format did you use and what software did you use to create the models?
????????
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Lupo4mica37

- I didn't use Gameguru to arrange the scene. I made the individual model piece by piece and arrange them together in AppGameKit itself.
- I just load the model as usual. The 3D model of the sea is retextured every number of frame for the animation. The player animations were made by code, I fixed the limbs to the main body, and program the swing/movements. Same for the animals. I didn't pre-animate them in 3D modelling program. They are either .3ds or .obj, or created by AppGameKit itself.
- I use the old Milkshape 3D
Lupo4mica37
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 21:27 Edited at: 30th Sep 2020 21:28
Hi BITBITBIT,

Thank you for your reply.

I replied to you be accident in a different thread, I though it was this one. Got confused, anyway.

Wow! How do you do these things by code (especially the animation part), I would love to know! It is really impressive you have done this by code alone, WOW! Really good work brother! Looks very natural and good vibe to it and all.

I need to check out this Milkshake 3D.

Really good work! To do it like you are doing it, respect to you!
????????
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Mostly the limbs movements are just manipulation of SIN(). I can get away with coding them because the characters body structure is very simple, with not that many limbs. For 'normal' human model with more limbs, probably it would be better if you animate them in 3D modelling program, otherwise it would be a mess. Milkshape 3D can rig and animate models.
Lupo4mica37
User Offline
Does this mean that you might upgrade the models to be more complex in the future for this project? Or the simplicity is actually part of how this is meant to be?
????????
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Trying to keep it as simple as possible, only adding things if necessary, like the guitarist NPC right arms; they have 2 joints instead of 1
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2020 17:39 Edited at: 17th Oct 2020 17:40
- Added basic house interior. They will be visible once player step into the house. The front wall will be culled to reveal the interior.
- Added musical particles around muscians NPC that are performing.
- Reduced networking data send/receive

Still need to make the house more lively.

New intro video:
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2020 20:57 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2020 21:19
Quite a slow progress, or should I say extremely so, jugggling between my Raspberry Pi LoRa radio long-range free messaging/chat device project, and this project.

Have been observing the game server (made in AppGameKit Studio graphicless mode), and it seems like the crash seems to have reduced in frequency, even though I changed nothing. Now the server can ran for 1-2 weeks without problem, even with some modest increase of new players. AppGameKit networking commands seems to held itself pretty well. Probably the initial crashing problem lies with AWS hosting doing some background network reset or such.

Now I'm just hoping AppGameKit Android export will be updated to support new Google Play specifications in 2021, so we can continue the project into next year, although as slow as it is.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2020 16:28 Edited at: 6th Nov 2020 16:33
Quote: "Trying to keep it as simple as possible"

please don't change the style of it; it's got a great look

and, you've earned this:

...especially considering the online/mmo aspect. it's quite a feat.

meanwhile, any chance of a windows version?

nice work. keep it up!

just noticed, all of your imgur graphics above are gone? consider adding them to respective posts so we don't lose the visuals?
[My Itch.io Home] [#LowRezJamAGK2020]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
BITBITBIT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2020 02:11 Edited at: 27th Nov 2020 02:14
UPDATE: Added a new flute-playing NPC
- Also reduced networking bandwith usage
- Fixed wave animation bug

@Virtual Nomad
Thank you for checking the game out. Sorry I forgot to link the new video. I was in the process of deleting the old videos and screenshots to consolidate them into a single video. Added the link for the new video in the top post.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2021-04-11 00:04:29
Your offset time is: 2021-04-11 00:04:29