Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / [SOLVED] 3DS not showing up on Broadcast but OBJ does

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2020 12:52 Edited at: 28th Sep 2020 13:35
Hello guys,
I've started playing around with 3D objects, and started out creating cubes and spheres etc. All fine, so I I moved onto loading a mesh that I made some years ago.
The mesh is basically a scene/room. After some trial and error I got it to load up with the 4 textures into one mesh using SetObjectMeshImage()

What I discovered was that when I loaded the Mesh as an OBJ, SetObjectMeshImage didn't work, the mesh only had 1 texture, but when I use the same mesh as a 3DS file, all 4 textures load up.

So far so good.

But here's the problem - when I broadcast to my Tablet, the 3DS version doesn't show - I get a blank screen. But when I switched back to using OBJ the mesh shows.

Is this a Broadcast issue? Or would the 3DS show up if I compiled it to Android and ran it as APK?

[UPDATE] - the problem is the same when I run it as an APK. I was able to export as .X file and this works.

Many thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

Cheers,
Paxi

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

pavel_sv_1982
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2020 20:17
You are lucky that you were able to load more than one texture per 3D object. It doesn't work for me at all. Works only in darkbasicpro.
But if it works for you, then work with this 3D object format.
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I don't know much about 3D, but I know that Android devices are case sensitive, meaning how you label/name your folders and files in your project have to be exactly how you name them in the code, there are case sensitive. I had this issue with certain audio files not playing on the Android device due to the fact that in the code the folder was written with lowercase, but the actual folder had the name beginning with a capital. Same could be with your 3DS not showing up on the mobile device.
????????
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 20:59 Edited at: 5th Nov 2021 12:27
Try scaling the .3ds model up. If I'm not mistaken, in AppGameKit 3ds model will be loaded at a much smaller scale than .obj, even if the are the same model. Probably it's just too small, it can't be seen.

Also, try rotating the object -90 degrees on x -axis.
3ds models seems to be rotated by default by this axis when loaded. At least those are what happened when exported by Milkshape 3D.
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
So you use 3ds, exported from Milkshape 3D? Never used it. Do you use Blender?

I found 3ds, also good for AGK.

Will try your suggestions when I get time for 3D.
????????
Paxi
Years of Service
User Offline
Lupo - genius! I had no idea about Android case sensitivity. Turns out the file was named room.3DS renamed to .3ds and it worked. Well done sir!

Thanks for the input BITBITBIT and pavelman.

Pavelman - I've uploaded what I've done, maybe it will work for you? Out of interest the original file was created in Milkshape some years ago and saved as OBJ. I imported the OBJ and exported to 3ds using Blender.
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
You're welcome Paxi, despite the credit goes to Rick Vanner, cause he is the one that suggested the solution to my audio not playing on an Android device.
????????

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:11:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:11:46