Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Printing and run alone ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2020 10:18
Hi folks, not used AppGameKit studio much since I got it.Just a couple of questions. How do I print a copy of a script I`ve done can`t find any way no print button or anything ? ( I know when I used AppGameKit classic I printed some out as I`ve found them) The other I don`t want to sound daft but I enjoy programming, but not much of a expert on PC`s. Can I assemble a program ( game ) to be able to send on a CD / memory stick ( even Email) to a friend who lives over seas so he can just install / copy it over and run it as he does not have AppGameKit classic or studio. I know these might be simple questions but neither of use have much idea about modern systems, only just worked out how to use skype ( we are getting on a bit)
Cheers.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2020 15:39
Quote: "Can I assemble a program ( game ) to be able to send on a CD / memory stick ( even Email) to a friend who lives over seas so he can just install / copy it over and run it"

Yeap!

All you need are the .exe file and the contents of the /media directory.

In your project folder,

- Click the .exe file then Control-Click the /media folder. Both that file and the folder should now be selected.
- Right-click one of the selected items.
- In the drop-down menu, choose "Send to" and then click "Compressed (zipped) folder." ...
- A new zip file will appear in the same folder.

Send your friend that ZIP file. Good luck!
Baldielocks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2021 18:37
Thanks for that just one question I`m not using any media all is text driven with no graphics.Do I still need the media file ? Cheers.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2021 20:51
Yes, you'll need the /media directory.

Even if you have added no sound or graphics, there should be a .byc file in there, which is the code your program needs to run.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Use virtual resolution instead of the default percentage system." - Digital Awakening
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2021 01:25 Edited at: 9th Mar 2021 01:27
as far as printing the code, there is no internal option for studio. but, the .agc files are basically .txt files so you could print those from within your operating system. it will/should keep the indentation but you'll lose the syntax highlighting. otherwise, for the most part, you could open the project in Classic and print from there?

then, as lokto alluded to, the .byc file needs to be there. the .exe file that is "produced" is simply the generic AGK(S) "player" which reads and runs the .byc code.

finally, consider exporting to HTML from within studio and set up an itch.io account and share your game there? its a few more steps but once you've done it a few times, it's an easy way to share (ask if you need help setting it up).

tho it shouldn't be an issue emailing a zipped text-based game (that should be a relatively small file), if you later write something with a substantial amount of media, you may run into issues trying to email/attach the (theoretically) much larger file.

good luck
[My Itch.io Home] [Now Playing]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2021 10:58
The size restrictions on e-mail attachments depends on the Mailing Service., but generally most at 40MB.
Some (Business) will allow MUCH larger files to be shared... I think mine has a 5GB Limit Per E-Mail or w/e you / your business has setup.

Beyond this there is Google Drive, OneDrive and a few others.
Plus obviously Skype lets you share files (but that used to be a bit hit-and-miss... not sure if that's improved) and I've been using Discord almost exclusively for the past 5 - 6 years (however long Discord has existed), and on there you can setup Private "Servers" / "Room" for you and your friends; where you can Share Files, Memes, Videos, Voice Chat, Text Chat, Video Chat, Stream Games, etc.
Funnily enough., was suggesting it to my Brother the other month as a great way for his Kids to talk to me and our other Brother; his response was "Discord, isn't that the [adult content] sharing service?"... that threw me, as I've always used it for chatting with friends., be it other gamers or developers.

Apparently (to him anyway) the only time he'd seen Discord was people sharing Discord Links on Facebook that were full of various Adult content.
I think it speaks a lot to how we use the Internet, as I literally had no idea people were using Discord for that... just assumed it was mostly used by Gamers for shooting the breeze while playing Games (you know it's intended purpose :-p) but I mean doesn't surprise me... I mean a free service on the internet... of course it's going to be used to share adult content :-p
Heck, remember Moderating these forums 15+ years ago... you'd get people creating accounts just to spam the most obscene fetish images., so that was always fun spending an hr every few days deleting massive numbers of posts with things that I wish I could unsee.

Now in any case., there is unfortunately no "Print" Option in AppGameKit Studio.
It's a shame... as I think it would be useful to be able to convert to a Printable Document, like say a PDF to either Print or be able to snippet for Whitepapers / Tutorials.

For products you create., well they're stored in the Project Folder (I changed this to a separate Drive) and if you hit F4 it will built the Runtime (.exe) without also running an Instance of it (F5 is Build & Run for Testing).
Then you can just zip up the Project Directory and send it to your Friend.
Now as a note, strictly speaking the Runtime (.exe) is just the AppGameKit Player., which is built to include the Function Libraries you're using.

So really all you have to share is the Bytecode.byc (and any media you choose to add) and it'll "Update" the game.
Vectrex71CH
User Banned
Posted: 9th Mar 2021 15:52
Another possibility is, you upload your Project as a zip file onto OneDrive, GoogleDrive, MEGA or whatever and you just share the Link to the Zip File. so your friend can download and run it !
This is because some Email Providers won't send ZIP Files via Email. (Security reason)

henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2021 12:45
With Wetransfer online service, you can send up to 1gb file size for free.
No need to substribe or create login, just go to Wetransfer and do you stuff.
So easy.
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2021 12:48
Allso, Wetransfer support zip files.

I use Wetransfer alot, no problems, and
it is save to use!.
henrikh2008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2021 12:51