Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / AGKS features. 3D physics car and possible bug.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2020 23:30 Edited at: 21st Nov 2020 23:33
Hi all.

Firstly, saving.

It would be handy if the command SaveObject(objID,szFilename) was implemented.
Maybe static and animated FBX and other common formats.

Secondly, features.

I have been trying to get a 3D physics car to work but it looks like there are a few 3D physics commands missing for tier 1.

SuspensionStiffness
SuspensionCompression
SuspensionDamping
MaxSuspensionTravel
MaxSuspensionForce
SuspensionRestLength
WheelDirection
WheelAxle
etc....

I have managed to get a 3D physics car driving around using the friction of the wheels on the terrain but it is not reliable or good enough yet for release.

Thirdly, bugs !!! (stands on chair)

I'm not sure yet if this is an AGKS bug or just me doing something noobish again.

Since I don't see any axle commands I've been using the following commands to rotate a joint connected to a wheel. See that I'm telling the FLwheeljoint to rotate twice. The first wheel I tell to rotate never does, so I tell it a second time and it works.

For now it's just a work around and I still need to improve the code to have reliable forward and reverse.

If anyone has any ideas or opinions........ cheers.
Never play leap frog with a unicorn.
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2020 23:09 Edited at: 25th Nov 2020 09:10
Here is a demo of what I have so far.
If there is not much interest shown by anyone then the necessary command features will not likely be implemented any time soon.

EDIT - uploaded the version with code so anyone interested can have a play.

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2020 23:10
This looks awesome!! Any video?
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2020 23:13
You are lightning fast blink, and thanks. No vid, just the demo (rough cut)
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2020 23:45
Superb. brilliant job!!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2020 06:36 Edited at: 25th Nov 2020 06:38
i need to convert to motors like yours vs SetObject3DPhysicsLinearVelocity() which i haven't done any smoothing with. ie, mine's very jerky/choppy. here's a playable example.

and, ive had some success with "independent suspension" via joint limits in another test project. had a good springy feel to it but the joints broke too easy. if a tire caught my ramp wrong (on the edge), the wheel "stayed" with the ramp while the truck kept going i think i need to add more joints to constrain the tires.

otherwise, obvious interest for a few of us. just hasn't been enough for TGC to justify adding more bullet commands

thanks for sharing. you've sparked my interest in re-visiting my own vehicle stuff.
[My Itch.io Home] [Now Playing]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=AGK] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[Google Forum Search]
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2020 08:01 Edited at: 25th Nov 2020 08:02
Hi Virtual Nomad. With joints between two objects, it will be springy in all directions if one of the objects is small. For example a cube of 1,1,1 but of course we only want springy on one axis. I used invisible cubes size 10,10,10 to make connections rigid enough to drive around. I also set objects to separate groups so they don't collide with each other using SetObject3DPhysicsGroupAndMask(objID,group,mask).

I'll upload the version with the code and hope it helps. Maybe it will spark more interest if others can tinker and experiment with this stuff.

Good luck and as you will see, the main experimental mess is in the loop.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2020 22:28
If I may say a few words and with respect to the main devs as I really like this user friendly language, it has a lot of potential.

I understand the business model of TGC because it's quite simple and like all businesses. They need to make a living on sales and hopefully some profit so there can be some growth.

Customers of a product like AGKS tend to have a business model too. Make a game that sells better than the one made by Notch, get comfortable on a bed of money, buy an island some place, servants, beer, etc etc...

With AGKS I don't feel that I'm asking for new features. I just want the product to be complete. The physics system should be fully tied in. Basically, all existing stuff should be complete and should work. I don't mind helping to find bugs either, so long as they are quickly squished followed by a timely bugfix release.

I don't like to have to call a vote from other customers to get this product a little more complete. That would be a bad business model and will likely hurt present and future sales.

I previously came from Nuclear Basic where the Dev let us down and stole money from some of us. So incomplete products + slow developement = makes me nervous.

Cheers

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2020 23:28
Big +1 from me
ando
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2020 01:09
Just letting you know that the code I provided in 3D physics car.zip up above is public domain. It's not fully complete but might help those interested.
Oh, and I had to change my signature.
BASIC appeared in May 1964. Lightning flashed, the wind roared and the Earth moved.
And nine months later I was born.
So here I am.
I am Basic.
Code is in my genes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:50:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:50:08