Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Seamless background streaming in AGK T1 proof of concept

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2020 21:26
A short video that show the full implementation of background texture streaming in AppGameKit T1.

This is controlled and done via a very simple section of T1 code, supplemented with a C+ Plugin done in T2.

Note, this is a very simply test island and the textures here are highly unoptimized - some are still 8K textures that have not been reduced in size yet.
The main purpose of this would be to allow very very low resolution textures to be loaded in for the majority of the world, with higher quality ones being streamed in based on a LOD setting as and when needed, then unloaded when not.

Background texture streaming in full 3D in AppGameKit T1, also fully mobile compatible by turning off the T2 acceleration (that's only really needed for very large textures for larger devices).

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2020 22:44
A second update to my streaming code, this time fully featured within the game world. Now the code actively streams the world in after first loading a low quality version after I added that functionality to the world builder, but then as you move around high detail textures are dropped out as you move away from all objects using them, and streamed back in as needed.

This allows for larger, far more graphically complex worlds to be built that can have far more complex textures throughout without requiring huge amounts of memory.

Again, all T1 so perfectly mobile compatible as well.

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2021 13:52 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2021 13:53
Very nice stuff...thanks alot for sharing and explaining !!

Where did you get the raft model? It looks kinda nice

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2021 06:52 Edited at: 4th Jan 2021 07:17
I've been working on my asset streaming having found the old version lacking speed in a high quality PBR scene or a scene with a lot of rapidly changing or large assets. However after a day of thinking and about 8 hours work I have managed to create a completely different method of streaming graphics that is fast enough to load 2Gb of textures in just 4 seconds!!

This video shows the comparison.

Best of all.....100% T1 AppGameKit, no C code in this at all.

p.s. the raft model I think came from CGTrader - it's royalty free.

EDIT: as a test I just reduced the distance that the high quality textures appear at to only about double the height of the game character; the result was still a smooth and playable game, but a FPS boost of almost 50% !! A very unexpected benefit.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2021 14:13
Very impressive stuff. Keep up the good work

PSY LABS Games
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2021 14:45 Edited at: 4th Jan 2021 14:46
Thanks Psy.

Both systems can work in tandem, so my world builder exporter creates different file types based on the size; it means I can literally stop worrying about the size of my textures, more or less, and focus on making an interesting world instead.

I'll be putting up an actual game demonstration soon, with a proper world powered by all the different parts I've build. It seems like a REALLY long journey.....
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2021 11:58
The journey is the reward

PSY LABS Games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:26:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:26:36