Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / AGK for Microsoft MakeCode

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just bought a small device that can play games made for Microsoft MakeCode https://arcade.makecode.com/ to help my son start coding. Right now it supports graphical programming, javascript and Python but I would really like to use AppGameKit and wonder if you think that would be possible?

/Max
Sincerely,
Max Tillberg
JasonPC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 17:55
This looks very much like "Scratch" https://scratch.mit.edu/
AKG won't work with this.

However, the system you've linked to will teach the basic skills of coding - so loops/variables/input etc.

I can see it has a JavaScript editor, this will get him closer to the AppGameKit system, but the syntax will be very different.

I'd personally let him play with the visual editor on MakeCode and then show him the basics of AGK. Having even a simple app running on a Tablet/Phone may spark his interest.

Another option is to stick with Python (for now) and develop OOP skils and then go into Tier 2. As a parent (my kids are grown up), I think some early progress will help keep his interest, so if he's fairly young, keep it simple and when he's mastered the graphical side, see how he gets on with AppGameKit studio.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2021 15:11
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
STUPID & DUM Question, maybe!!!

What will the advantage be for using "AppgameKit for Python" instead of just the Standard AppGameKit Classic or Studio?

Thanks, D
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2021 14:42
I would say Python is, in the long run, infinitely more useful to know than AGK's version of Basic. Python is pretty easy to understand, but it's also used professionally in a lot of places so it's a good skill to have.

On the other hand, AGK's all-in-one IDE, broadcasting, online help and general ease of use might prove to be less of a hurdle for a beginner.

Me personally, having learned to code on Amos, then DB, then Blitz, and now AGK...I'm kind of stuck with only being able to code using such tools. I can't make heads or tail of C++, JS, or Python and don't even know where to begin to use these language, even the visual stuff like Unity and GameMaker totally flies over my head. I code just for fun so it's not a problem, but if I had to do it professionally, that would definitely be a problem.

As JasonPC said, I think the instant gratification of pressing F6 and seeing his app run on a phone/tablet might be the spark that keeps your son's interest going.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2021 15:32 Edited at: 9th Feb 2021 15:34
@n00bstar:

I recently started learning C++. Still at the beginning stages but it's less difficult than I though and I'm sure that will be the case for you as well.

I've followed the documentation and the tier 2 starters guide to set stuff up. Right now, I'm following some tutorials on the many great websites out there to understand the basic context of C++ in relation to what I learned from TGC. It's really not that difficult, but you have to go through the basics (which you will breeze through cause it's not that different from AppGameKit in my opinion). Most logic seems very familiar to me.
Regards Sph!nx
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2021 15:18
Yeah I should really give it a real go sometimes. I've been putting it off for ages now. I'm not too worried about the logic part of it since all languages follow pretty much the same basic logical structure. It's just the new syntax, and all those scary new words like methods and classes and pointers and all that jazz. Seems so overwhelming...!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2021 15:46
I get it, that's exactly where I'm at. My strategy is pretty clear. Follow everything TGC suggest to set it up. Follow some basic C++ tutorials (really you can't miss those sites!). follow some C++ tutorials from those sites and then pickup your AppGameKit setup and go for it.

If you ever want to spar a bit, you are always free to PM me!
Regards Sph!nx

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:42:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:42:49