Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Version 2021.02.10

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2021 13:30
I've uploaded a new version to Steam and the TGC downloads area with the following changes

* Fixed TTF fonts rendering at lower quality if the text was place at a half pixel position
* Added support for the RequestAppReview command on Android (Google Play only)
* Fixed AdMob reward videos on Android sometimes rendering incorrectly
* Added SetAdMobChildRating command to notify AdMob if the app is targeted at children
* Added GetRewardAdValueAdMob command to get the reward amount from a reward ad
* Added CreateImageFromPNGMemblock to convert a memblock containing a PNG file into an AppGameKit image
* Added CreateSoundFromOGGMemblock to convert a memblock containing an OGG file into an AppGameKit sound
* Added CreateMusicFromOGGMemblock to convert a memblock containing an OGG file into an AppGameKit music file
* Added GetMemblockSHA1 to hash the contents of a memblock
* Added GetMemblockSHA256 to hash the contents of a memblock
* Added SetImageSubImages to change the subimages.txt file currently applied to an AppGameKit image

Let me know if you have any problems
brunuu
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure if it's from my PC, but when I updated AppGameKit, I started a blank project that starts with a high framerate as always, but I let it run for a few minutes, the framerate gradually drops in half
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2021 17:17 Edited at: 10th Feb 2021 17:27
Paul, could you please explain the usage of CreateImageFromPNGMemblock.
I don't understand how it would be used.

Thanks

ALSO: SetImageSubImages() is not a recognised command.
hendron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Paul, could you please explain the usage of CreateImageFromPNGMemblock.
I don't understand how it would be used.

Thanks"

It allows us to work with memblocks containing compressed png data instead of raw RGBA data and still create image objects from them. I can see this being very useful in creating asset protection and packed media container files without taking up too much space, for instance.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2021 20:08
My question related to the compressed PNG memblock file. Without a corresponding CreatePNGimageFileFromMemblock() then in what way is it different to CreateImageFromMemblock()?
I could ask the same about the OGG sound and music commands but I presume they create an OGG file in memory so that the OGG commands can be used on them but a PNG in memory isn't a requirement.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2021 04:33 Edited at: 11th Feb 2021 04:35
I also get "error: "setimagesubimages" is not a recognised function or command" in the latest versions of both Classic and Studio.

EDIT: Function coloration on new the commands except this one happens in Classic, but doesn't happen in Studio.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2021 13:27 Edited at: 15th Feb 2021 14:35
@Scraggle & everyone else!- here are some update files that should fix the SetImageSubImages() issue.

This is only needed for users who download builds direct from TGC. Steam users have an update.

AppGameKit Studio Build
New AppGameKit Studio Windows.exe interpreters
New AppGameKit Studio IDE file

The Windows.exe files go here;
...AppGameKit Studio\interpreters\Windows

The Ide.exe file goes here;
...AppGameKit Studio

AppGameKit Classic Build
New AppGameKit Compiler.exe
New Windows.exe and Windows64.exe players

The Windows.exe files go here;
...App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Compiler\interpreters

The Compiler.exe file goes here;
...App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Compiler

Let me know if that works for you.
Development Director
TGC Team
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2021 14:00
@RickV
Why are you addressing this to me only?
Everybody needs the fixes in place.

But to answer the question: No, there's no change.
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Scraggle wrote: "Why are you addressing this to me only? Everybody needs the fixes in place"

I am suspecting (if my previous experience with AppGameKit is anything to go by) that this will not be resolved until the next release, so possibly another 3 to 4 months.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2021 19:18
I just got updates for both Classic and Studio via Steam today. The IDE version numbers don't change from what I see.
- SetImageSubImages is now recognized by both.
- The new commands have the function coloration in Studio.
- However, while recognized as a function, SetImageSubImages doesn't have the function coloration in Classic.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2021 22:20
SetImageSubImages is missing from the AGKLibraryCommands.cpp/.h files in "Example Plugin" in both Classic and Studio (at least on Steam).
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2021 22:44 Edited at: 12th Feb 2021 05:57
1) I copied the interpreters to C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AppGameKit Studio\Players
2) I copied the ide.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AppGameKit Studio
3) I created a project that referenced SetImageSubImages()
4) I ran the project and immediately got the error

PS: Those files appear to be for Studio and this is the classic forum
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2021 23:43 Edited at: 11th Feb 2021 23:47
I'm fairly new to AppGameKit and I have really enjoyed using the language over the last few months and the support from TGC has been exceptional. I have read quite a few comments about AppGameKit being abandoned etc but since I have been using it two updates have been released so not sure why people think it is being abandoned. It is quite obvious that the latest release has a issues and I'm sure that TGC will fix them. It is disappointing as a new user to read so many negative comments, it's as though people want it to fail. I have tried many programming languages over the years and AppGameKit is one of the best. Negative comments on this forum will ultimately drive new users away which clearly isn't good for AppGameKit or TGC.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2021 05:04
" It is disappointing as a new user to read so many negative comments, it's as though people want it to fail." There is not a single post here implying, insinuating, or stating that anyone wants AppGameKit to fail.

"so not sure why people think it is being abandoned" Because people are basing it on about two decades of TGC history. Most of the posts stating that provide plenty of reasons and examples why.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Use virtual resolution instead of the default percentage system." - Digital Awakening
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2021 07:35
I think you have missed my point. The negative comment on this particular thread is that the new instructions won't be fixed for 3 or 4 months. My other comment about the negativity runs through quite a lot of threads. I appreciate that there are users on here that have decades of experience with TGC but as a new user I'm already thinking is it worth sticking with AppGameKit, this isn't because I think the product is poor but because of other users saying it's being abandoned, updates are infrequent, bugs are never fixed etc. Who's fault this is I'm not sure but if new users are put off then this means less revenue for TGC which will then probably have an impact on the lifespan of AGK.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2021 08:49
I have edited my original message now with both Classic and Studio file updates.

Note that the Steam versions have already been updated, this is for TGC download versions.
Development Director
TGC Team
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2021 13:29
Steam version of Studio now works but in the Steam version of Classic SetImageSubImages is still not recognised as a keyword
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2021 16:14 Edited at: 12th Feb 2021 16:43
@Scraggle I am having the same issue "main.agc:32: error: "setimagesubimages" is not a recognised function or command" AppGameKit Classic - Version 2021.02.10 [Steam]
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2021 17:39
@Polaraul: Try updating AppGameKit Classic in Steam again. Latest will recognize setimagesubimages as a function even though it doesn't use the method color for the method name.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2021 22:05 Edited at: 12th Feb 2021 22:17
If I click on the compiler.exe link update it takes me to the windows.exe files.

Is anyone else having this issue?

@Rick, can you fix the link please as I think you may have duplicated the windows.exe link instead of the compiler.exe link

Thank you
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2021 00:21
I re-downloaded your studio files windows.exe windows64.exe and ide.exe and copied them to the appropriate folders and i am still getting the "Bytecode contains unknown instructions" error
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
adambiser wrote: "Try updating AppGameKit Classic in Steam again. Latest will recognize setimagesubimages as a function even though it doesn't use the method color for the method name."
Thank you, that did the trick, although as you say, it does not use the method color.

On the subject of this new release, I was wondering if you had any plans to update AppGameKit for Python for this release?

adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2021 15:48
@Polaraul: Glad that fixed it as much as it's fixed.
Yes, I plan to update AppGameKit for Python for this release once this release is settled.
The AGKLibraryCommands.cpp/.h files in the Example Plugin folder for both Classic and Studio are missing SetImageSubImages and I just noticed that AGKPluginCommandList.h in both Classic and Studio is also missing SetImageSubImages from its list.
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
adambiser wrote: "Yes, I plan to update AppGameKit for Python for this release once this release is settled."

Hopefully this won't take too long to be resolved.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to also say thank you so much for all the work you have put into the Python port. Python, Pycharm and AppGameKit is a great combination, and your work is very much appreciated.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2021 06:45
@Polaraul: Shouldn't take long. It's just adding a couple lines in each file.
Glad you're finding AppGameKit for Python useful.
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
@adambiser Sorry, I meant I hope it that TGC don't take too long to add the missing files from their end
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2021 09:01 Edited at: 19th Feb 2021 09:05
The update link for the complier.exe still hasn't been fixed for people who bought Classic direct from the TGC website. I'm begining to regret buying products direct from TGC instead of Steam now.

@Rick, if you can't keep the TGC website upto date how about offering free Steam keys to your TGC customers so that they have a choice of how their products get updated?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2021 12:01 Edited at: 19th Feb 2021 12:06
Quote: "I wrote this to Rick on discord...nothing happens"

I sent him a PM and unfortunately he hasn't replied to that either.

I think Polaraul may have been correct when he said it will probably get fixed in the next update in a few months time. It's disappointing when an update is broken when it is released and then it's not fixed promptly.
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2021 14:28
A few things are unavoidable in this universe...

Death. taxes, and TGC ignoring their customers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
Qugurun
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AppGameKit
Posted: 22nd Feb 2021 12:34

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:25:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:25:11