Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Visual Editor - Worthwhile?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFXIV, Fall Guys, Redout
Posted: 22nd Mar 2021 14:43 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2021 14:44
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hi all,

So, though I'm still learning the basics of AppGameKit, I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to start learning a visual editor as well. I looked at the Visual Editor addon, and it seems to be useful, with a very clean interface (an improvement over Studio's, from the little I worked with it, IMO).

Since games I intend to make eventually would benefit from a visual editor (platformers, Action-Adventures, etc), I think it might be a good idea to pick it up and start learning it.

BUT, before purchasing, I just wanted to check in and see what others' experiences, suggestions, etc. might be.

Something I've found about this community, is folks are very honest in their praise and criticism of TGC's products. The feedback is realistic, which is refreshing compared to other communities which can tend to be "protective", sometimes bordering on cult-like, about a given product. So, I feel comfortable asking for all feedback here

Thanks!

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 23rd Mar 2021 15:57
I personally feel it would be better to upgrade to agk studio and use that editor
you still get the classic and new rendering engines and its getting continuing
updates

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2021 16:42
I agree with fubarpk. On Steam they currently have AppGameKit Studio, the particle editor, and a soundpack together for about $85 ( https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/12759/AppGameKit_Twin_Pack/ ). It's a good deal, especially if you are looking to move over to more visual editing/creating.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Use virtual resolution instead of the default percentage system." - Digital Awakening
Wolfsong73
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFXIV, Fall Guys, Redout
Posted: 23rd Mar 2021 19:19 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2021 23:57
Hi, folks.

Thanks for the feedback!

I went ahead and purchased the editor anyway lol. It looked like a nice tool to have handy when I need it.

Edited...
On second thought... I just bought an ebook earlier today, "Hands On AppGameKit Studio Volume 1", and I'm really liking it so far. It's exactly the kind of resource I've been looking for. It focuses on AGKStudio, so I'm going to go ahead and use that instead.

I am a bit "eh" about the discussed drop in performance/framerate in Studio compared to AGK2. But when I think about it, I don't think I'm going to ever hit situations where I'll be pushing it to the point that such a drop would be notable. Also, I'm sure the issue (whatever it be) can be addressed in an update.

That said, if I were to run into any issues that seem exclusive to Studio, I can always resort back to AGK2.

Thanks again!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:07:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:07:12