Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / The state of the AGK community (and this forum moderation)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2021 00:59
Well, I have been visiting here less and less recently for a variety of reasons, and this give me even less reason to.
Firstly, I can see the unfortunate slowdown of posts which is sad in itself, as it probably indicates a reduction in active participation, but I am particularly dismayed at the closing of this thread
Imagine someone coming new to this forum and seeing that?
`
I like using AppGameKit for all it's problems and I kind of even like the challenge of overcoming any of the problems it offers me.
I don't like the idea of threads being closed in this context. Either delete the entire thing if it offends, but it doesn't give me - the OP - the chance to give my opinion on the comments raised.
I should point out that the comments I made were an observation and a reference to a previously unresolved thread, rather that a "pls hlp me IM a noob" type of post.
I'm fully aware of the deprecated functions and the thread was more of a comment on the nature of the pseudo forced relationship of deprecated functions vs actual functions, as well as the prevailing lack of addressing issues in the product by TGC.
I wasn't looking for a "solution", as there isn't one. I know that.. I'm not an inexperienced user, as you may know from the time I've been here along with the products and assistance I've provided to the community.

I've posted things on forums when I'm drunk (haven't we all?) but that discussion should have been played out and resolved, rather than shutting it down. I'd rather discourse as an adult (and let's face it, the discussion was between people with 13 or so "years of service") so are obviously not children.

Right now, I'm converting one of my oldest games from Delphi to AppGameKit and it's been a lot of fun. I don't think I ever need to ask questions about "how to do x/y/z" any more, as I consider myself as an expert on this platform. I do feel somewhat insulted by not being able to either defend my statements or have an argument about something in a rational way.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 14th Apr 2021 01:13
The forums are moderated to keep them family friendly

If that means closing a thread i feel that is great resolution to a problem when other moderators may just wait until they can ban someone

I dont know who stopped the thread but i wouldve acted similar when i was moderator in the past sorry but i wouldve but not something i can do now

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2021 02:19
ok. i'll unlock it.
n00bstar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2021 17:31
Sign of the times my friend.

The forum is over moderated. People, and threads, aren't allowed to deviate by one iota under the threat of locking the thread, getting put on temporary silence, or served a "warning" as if you had committed an actual crime. Moderators edit your posts and leave snarky comments in them, basically making a public shaming out of the tiniest things. Arguments are frowned upon, etc. All in the name of keeping the forum a friendly and welcoming environment while ironically making the forum a less than welcoming place. It's very 2021. People can't deal with conflicting ideas and points of view.. They automatically reach for a safe space and cry themselves to sleep....or childishly lock threads/ban people at the first sign of someone expressing an opinion.

But then again, every forum on the internet is the same.... so y'know

Fragile nerds don't make good mods. You have to let stuff play out. In 99% of all cases, people will resolve their arguments. In the remaining 1%, that's when you get involved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2021 14:30 Edited at: 15th Apr 2021 15:38
"Right now, I'm converting one of my oldest games from Delphi to AppGameKit" = nz0

Sounds interesting! Hoping you'll post more on that.

"The forum is over moderated."

Word. But then again, it's a forum that regularly brags in its ad banner about how abusive the moderators are allowed to be, so I guess it should be expected.

IMO, these forums need fewer moderators and at least one person focused on community management. The purposes of almost any product forum are to disseminate news, offer support, and build the community. None of those three are really done to any effective degree here.

LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Use virtual resolution instead of the default percentage system." - Digital Awakening

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2021 17:33
Can someone please stop the planet, I want to get off!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:10:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:10:52