Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Setspritecolor differing results

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. Changing the red tint on a sprite with an incremental variable. Starts off blue, but then just stays at its normal colour with no changes on the pc.
The weird thing is that playing the same code through the agk player to a device shows the sprite actually Changing to red.
What's going on?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 12th May 2021 06:05
if you want to redden or make blue etc the colour of a sprite it works best with a greyscale image to begin with
the alternative is a shader

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2021 21:21
Yes coloured images don't tint very well, I made a small game in GameMaker yonks ago with nothing but greyscale images all tinted by GM's replace colour function and it looked pretty decent, for programmer art anyway, when applying a tint colour to a already coloured image you have to go with a complementary colour to the existing.

Did you know the AppGameKit colour system supports alpha values?, not exposed to basic because its buggy as hell but while applying a tint to a sprite with a RGBA value I get a nice ghost effect.

Quote: "What's going on?"

That is the 6 million line of code question, as noted above it seems some of the colorization code was disabled for Basic but left exposed in C++ but they don't work very well, drawing a box with an alpha colour works fine, draw one filled 40 alpha then a border over the top and I got a nice selection rect worthy of a AAA title, apply the same method to any other shape and artefacts, Mr Jones would have a field day, so maybe there is something "not quite right" with the windows colour routines.

By the way we see half hearted minimal implementations of almost everything TGC does it would not surprise me if they knew this was broken and just commented out the Basic links to RGBA and called it fixed!

I'll have a poke round the source functions in a bit and see if I can make sense of it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:49:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:49:58