Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / REM code still running

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have an old program that flickers, so I used REM to get rid of code to find out where the flicker was coming from. Then I noticed that the REM code was still running, so as an experiment I REMed out all the code apart from the Do Loop. The game was still running as if it had no REMs in the code.

The code was green, but had a strange fade in the green to grey???
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jun 2021 07:04
Do you have code to share?
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure... what about media?...

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 10:36
yes please if you don't mind just so I can get it running my side and see what's going on.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2021 11:56
Sounds like it is re running the previous build regardless, has happened to me because of permissions - ie no admin rights for the editor so it cannot delete the original executable...just check if the executable still has the old date or if it is indeed being rebuilt and showing the current date
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
So I ran it as administrator, and still the REM does nothing. I remmed the Do Loop, and it still worked. Here's the media...
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2021 19:24
Er what media? There was an issue with uploads in the past so maybe retry it.

Can you confirm the date of the old exe is different to the new exe?

What happens if you manually delete the old exe and then compile again?
Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5, ASUS A55BM-E
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2021 20:10 Edited at: 5th Jul 2021 20:13
this is a relatively wild guess and i haven't used DBPro in years but this reminded me of an issue i had/have with geany/the AppGameKit IDE since it appears that you're using the same ` for commenting in some cases.

from your code above, can you tell us which code is still running despite being rem'd out?

ie, for testing:

i wonder if there is issue with ` being in between remstart/remend, for example, or some other pattern/mix of usage that might be causing conflict?
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2021 23:06
@Virtual Nomad - just some thoughts I felt I should put out there;

I don't seem to have any issues like that...not that this means that Barry might not, I tested the extract you highlight in Indigo, Codesurge, original Editor and Editor New, what is striking me as extremely odd is Barry's description of colour fading in the editor - I seem to recall that happening to me once in Vista but I don't recall how I got past it for certain, I think it was either admin rights or DEP related or even both, basically I have had to switch DEP off for a number of apps all written in DBP anyway. If you take a look at the image attached the duplicates are because I kept backups but plant life, tree magik and TT(total terrain) are all from the "all seeing i" products I think. The NVD.exe is something I wrote to aid in the creation of Newton vehicles and after changing something related to the exe(I forget what exactly but it meant it was no longer viewed by my current system as a DBPro application), the DBO converter comes with DB classic disk for 3ds files iirc. All of these including DBP fail without the DEP exceptions. I am also pretty sure access to DEP options was further complicated by either having UAC on or off - I forget which, it may have been affected by the fact I installed DBP with either UAC on or off and then later switched UAC on - I have a somewhat hazy memory of this.

I believe the reason I mainly had to do it was because I use file associations to open project files directly, if you add admin rights to some IDE's but not the Launch.exe then one or more gets a failed to load dba error, but if you added it to both the Launch exe and I think the original editor you would get infinite error messages popping up! I forget exactly which order I set the admin rights up, but all in all it was the only way I could get my projects all working directly from dbpro & dba files - mainly prompted by Evolveds use of #includes in his advanced lighting projects ie so I could alter the dba files not loaded into the main editor I was using, so I could open them alongside and save without reopening the whole thing between what where normally minor edits, the down side I think was that i could no longer compile projects from the original DBP install paths project folder but I use the desktop and a second HDD for all my stuff anyway.

I also had xp, vista, win7 and win10 for boot options and so this was my overall solution to work on any project from the same files, however that was on my other machine which packed in - xfx mobo with q6600. These days I just have win7 installed to make life a little easier - not that I use DBP all that much anymore! It may be the case that I can open the editor then load the projects from the DBP install path and it works that way - but I could be wrong, again hazy memory!(my machine is down atm)

From what I recall it may have been slightly different behaviour dependant on which upgrade was being used - 7.7 acted different but that may have been just for win10.

I frequently use ` Rem and Remstart/end and don't have any issues, well as frequent as you might expect given I did just say I don't use DBP a lot these days lol. All that said watch this be something as simple as you suggest and I just typed all this up and look a right pleb haha! I do recall there was an issue adding ` to the end of a line without spaces and also ... screws things up iirc is pointer related? In any case I don't see any usage of this in the code provided.

I am glad you posted that about agk as that was something I was not aware of. As I said though these are more just thoughts as clearly I don't really know what I am talking about exactly - but DEP and admin rights certainly played a big role in things. I can remove those rules and everything breaks until I set them back again. I *think* this was similar for Texture Maker, but I never backed up my licence sadly so don't have it installed.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2021 13:08 Edited at: 18th Jul 2021 13:09
Thanks for help... Here's the media again...

Do zips work OK, because they upload, but don't seem to show.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:18:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:18:57