Loktofeit wrote: "That's not just a lead, it is exactly the answer. Those are the directories listed in the link in my first post."
Sorry, they do not provide the full path. You have two folders, drawable and mipmap. Those are the names for the files in the drawable folder. Regardless, I'm happy we found an answer.
Virtual Nomad wrote: "it can't be as simple as adding the missing folders with icons to the apk, can it?"
I did it, but the Google Console throws an error talking about (not 100% word for word) the alignment of the archive being off. Looks like the file system works with an offset of some sorts, which needs to be set by this process, but I didn't read further into it yet. On top of that, working with the Google Console and deploying test versions is quite a hassle and goes beyond just testing/adding a little thing and you are done. And I do not want to experiment with the only game I have in production on Google Play, maybe breaking anything in the process. It's just a modest amount of downloads, but I hope you understand. We identified the problem and I wish we could find a solution, but at this point, I'd rather have a workaround, more details or an update officially provided by TGC.
Additionally I can't upload a test project just for this, since new uploads require SDK 30 since August, which AppGameKit doesn't currently use.