Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Android 10 / Launch Icon

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2021 18:13 Edited at: 29th Jul 2021 18:15
Hi all,

I used the AppGameKit Studio export for Android and linked to an app image. It looks right on Android 9, but on Android 10 it looks like the screenshot I have attached. Does a more experienced Android dev have a solution for this? I tried upgrading to a 512x512 image, but it still looks wrong / unprofessional.

Thanks!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2021 16:51
It is possible AppGameKit either puts the icon in the wrong folder or does not create the full set of icons. Here is a link to more info on the icons:
https://makeappicon.com/androidicon

Interested in the official answer as to why this is happening. Your post has been sitting around for a week, so a dev will probably reply to it in the next week or two.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 15:29 Edited at: 5th Aug 2021 15:32
Yes, I was following the Google Guidelines on this.

It's quite possible that your assumption is correct, since it works fine on my Android 9, but not on my Android 10 device.

I guess I have no way of fixing it myself with Tier 1?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 17:51 Edited at: 5th Aug 2021 18:49
forgive my ignorance on this since i've not played around much with .apks but:
Quote: "It is possible AppGameKit either puts the icon in the wrong folder or does not create the full set of icons. "
we can create our own icons and put them anywhere we want/need to since .apk files are ~.zip files, right?

Image Asset Studio doc wrote: "... It generates a set of icons at the appropriate resolution for each pixel density that your app supports. "
do we know the resolutions the player supports?

from an older (classic) .apk export of mine:

IE, i only see up to 192x192 in /res (and the whole app directory for that matter)

sorry if you've tried the above already but i'm trying to catch up to the conversation participants on the subject

@hosch, i'm assuming you're creating the images at the proper densities?

slightly confused. is this re: google play store only?
[My Itch.io Home] [Community Apps on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I did not try looking at the .APK that way, no. I have little to no experience with that format, it's my first mobile Game. Since there only is 192x192px present and 512x512px is required that might be the issue. May I ask what software you used to access it?

Affected is the icon once the app is installed. The Play Store icon is fine. I have no option to give multiple densities/files when using the AppGameKit export. I might be able to set them manually using the way you described. I will have a look at it tomorrow.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2021 22:12 Edited at: 5th Aug 2021 22:45
IZArc but i expect most zip/archive progs will do it?

meanwhile, according to THIS, 192x192 is fine (since you're content with the play store look). i'm assuming the icon you produced/provided to the APK exporter is 192x192? (nmd. i see above you supplied a 512x512 image so now im lost again)

btw, the thread title "Android 10 / Playstore App Icon" is what confused me into thinking the issue was related to google play app store :/
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2021 06:14 Edited at: 6th Aug 2021 16:42
I used the wrong term in the title. I haven't seen an option to correct it, you could change it to launch icon as a moderator to make it more clear ( done).

I did provide 192x192px initially and out of curiosity used a 512x512px for a beta branch to see if it changes things up.

192x192 is the launcher icon, which is problematic.
512x512 is the icon displayed in the store, which works.

Even the AppGameKit Player launch icon looks wrong by the way.
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Running the current beta and I've provided 192x192 in the correct DPI over the AppGameKit export, just to make sure. It shows the same results as my initial example, looking correct on Android 9 and off on Android 10.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2021 23:34
Quote: "Even the AppGameKit Player launch icon looks wrong by the way."

Can confirm.

On my VK815, J3, and Stylo 2 (Android 6-8), the AppGameKit Player and my AppGameKit app icons are the proper size and look correct.
On my Pixel devices (Android 11) they are icons inside the icon region. (Screenshot below)

AGK Resource Directory
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2021 23:41 Edited at: 11th Aug 2021 00:04
I poked around in the APK of ORBITER. The launcher icon file has been in the correct folder and in the correct size of 192x192px, based on the resource shared by Virtual Nomad. I will have a further look at it and may be able to find the issue.

EDIT
Okay. I used this tool to generate 2 sets of icons. The tool is split up into 'Generic Icon Generator' and 'Launch Icon Generator'. I was able to track the folders containing the icons generated with the 'Generic Icon Generator' in my APK export of ORBITER by AppGameKit Studio. The folders generated by the 'Launch Icon Generator' were completely missing. The paths for them are

Might be a lead as those files may be required by Android 10 and up to correctly display the launcher icon.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2021 03:49
That's not just a lead, it is exactly the answer. Those are the directories listed in the link in my first post.

Here is more detailed information on it:

https://developer.android.com/training/multiscreen/screendensities
AGK Resource Directory
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2021 04:47
it can't be as simple as adding the missing folders with icons to the apk, can it?
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2021 22:37 Edited at: 13th Aug 2021 23:02
Loktofeit wrote: "That's not just a lead, it is exactly the answer. Those are the directories listed in the link in my first post."

Sorry, they do not provide the full path. You have two folders, drawable and mipmap. Those are the names for the files in the drawable folder. Regardless, I'm happy we found an answer.

Virtual Nomad wrote: "it can't be as simple as adding the missing folders with icons to the apk, can it?"

I did it, but the Google Console throws an error talking about (not 100% word for word) the alignment of the archive being off. Looks like the file system works with an offset of some sorts, which needs to be set by this process, but I didn't read further into it yet. On top of that, working with the Google Console and deploying test versions is quite a hassle and goes beyond just testing/adding a little thing and you are done. And I do not want to experiment with the only game I have in production on Google Play, maybe breaking anything in the process. It's just a modest amount of downloads, but I hope you understand. We identified the problem and I wish we could find a solution, but at this point, I'd rather have a workaround, more details or an update officially provided by TGC.

Additionally I can't upload a test project just for this, since new uploads require SDK 30 since August, which AppGameKit doesn't currently use.
Kapibor
Years of Service
User Offline
In this case, you need to find someone who can download a test version of your application from their developer account.
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a good tipp, but the SDK issues have thankfully been fixed with the newest update. So testing is made easier again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:11:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:11:39