Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / [SOLVED] Can't encrypt my AGK keystore file for AAB format

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I exported the keystore file for my APK from AppGameKit Studio and not from Android Studio. To opt into the new AAB you need to encrypt your keystore file with the Play Encrypt Private Key-Tool (PEPK-Tool), supplied by Google, with the following arguments

Since I did not use Android Studio, but AppGameKit for the keystore export, I did not have to set an alias. Unfortunately it is required for the process. AFAIK I can't just create a new key via Android Studio, because that's exactly the point of the keys - keeping them consistent for signing your app. Is there any workaround for this? Can I use Android Studio to change the key to include an alias?

Thanks.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
What happens if you don't use the alias parameter?
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your reply, Orvillian.

The tool by Google expects the alias parameter and password, otherwise the encryption doesn't even start. I've tried changing my keystore file with keytool (comes with the java SDK) and adding an alias/password, but to no avail.

You have 3 options at the Google Page, if you want to opt into AAB:
- Use keystore file from Android Studio
- Use keystore file from Java (the one I chose)
- Use another format/build you own tool

If you need any further information, I am more than happy to supply it.
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
When I tried this and switched to AAB the key I used had an alias. I am yet to try it with a key that has no alias.

Please email me and we'll run through the progress - orvillian@googlemail.com. Let me know what message appears when no alias is specified.
Orvillian
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I've spoken to Paul. The default alias is "mykeystore". The password will be the same as the keystore password.
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2021 18:02 Edited at: 30th Sep 2021 18:07
Hi Orvillian,

it worked exactly like you've described. I will create the security key now and upload it. Should be smooth sailing from now on.

EDIT
It did work as expected, now all that's left to do is to test it with an AAB export.
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2021 08:57 Edited at: 6th Oct 2021 09:35
where to use this "mykeystore" as pass ? can you explain please ? I already create keystore files in year 2015 with AppGameKit Classic . Amd game uploaded with that keystore files ... I could not update my previous app . please help .
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
You will need to use the command line tool by Google to encrypt your old keystore file from 2015. It's called Play Encrypt Private Key-Tool (PEPK-Tool). When you run the tool, it will ask for the alias. This will be "mykeystore" and the passwort will be the password for your keystore file.
Pretty much everything you need to know for this process can be found here:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9842756?hl=en
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2021 20:36
Thankyou solved.
hosch
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad to hear!