Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / aab Android files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 21:05
Good evening I've completed my game to run on Android and it all seems fine and produces the .aab file . However I cannot get it to work on my Android 10 device . Never had this problem before installing my apps onto my phone tried using USB cable and downloading it from itch.io . Anything happening that I've missed ?
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 21:14 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2021 21:15
Just looked at it again and my other games in the download folder when I click on the three dots on the right for the menu it has install whereas the aab file does not . It does not recognize the aab file as an Android app .
My phone is a motorola G7 4 gigs of ram octo core processor . I've enabled unknown souces.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 21:32 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2021 21:40
as i understand it, google play generates an APK from the AAB by taking parts of the AAB relevant to the requesting device specs:
Quote: "What is the difference between AAB and APK files?
AAB files are custom-made
The difference between APK and AAB files lies in what we call resources. In an app, resources are everything else that is not programming code, such as images, language files, or music. If you select the "Install" button for an app in the Play Store, Google will then send you an APK file tailored from the AAB file for your device with the necessary resources required.

Your smartphone only has Full HD+ resolution? Then you'll receive an APK without 4K material. You've selected English and German as the device language? You probably won't need the Swahili language pack. By the way, with the help of Google's bundletool tool, AAB files can also be locally converted into APKs."

...with the (whole) point being smaller file size delivered/installed.

re: "AAB files can also be locally converted into APK"
...i expect you'd need an app on the device to do that for you. IE, the device doesn't know what to do with an AAB natively. if it did and we download an AAB to pick through, it defeats the whole point of AAB?
[My Itch.io Home] [AGK on Itch.io]
[AGK Resource Directory] [TGC @ GitHub]
[CODE lang=agk] YOUR CODE HERE [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VIDEO ID [/VIDEO]
[AGK Showcase][Google Forum Search]
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 21:44
Right yes I worked out my phone didn't recognize the aab file . I'll go and see what the options are I think Android studio can convert them into a single apk file .
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2021 22:16
It's fine just seen I can still produce an APK file . Excellent I should read more .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:20:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:20:20