Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] User Guide and Command Reference not working ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2021 14:07
I just got AppGameKit Studio and when using the Help menu the Items 'User Guide' and 'Command Reference' do nothing.
How do I fix this?
Thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2021 14:38
That's odd, it works fine here, are you on Steam or TGC account?

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2021 17:43
Do u have full permission @ the install folder? Any messages during install that might elude to any issues? Installed to HD, i assume? Otherwise, any clue as to why?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2021 17:53
Also check that the files actually exist and are readable by the system

file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/The Game Creators/AppGameKit Studio/media/Help/AppGameKit Studio User Guide.pdf

and

file:///C:/Program%20Files (x86)/The Game Creators/AppGameKit Studio/media/Help/AppGameKit Studio Command References.pdf
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2021 19:32 Edited at: 29th Oct 2021 19:41
It's the download version.
I gave the whole the game creators folder and all subfolders / files full permissions for the user (me).
Both of those PDF's are in the folder PartTimeCoder mentioned

I also reinstalled and still not working.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2021 20:04
OK, this is a long shot but only thing I can think of, go to Preferences>>IDE, check or uncheck "Event Based Rendering"

As the files exist they should open, only thing I can think is maybe the menu event is not making it to the event loop ... worth a quick try
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2021 20:14 Edited at: 29th Oct 2021 20:26
it was ticked so I unticked and no difference.

Thanks anyway

I uninstalled and installed a previous version 2021.09.20 and still doesnt work

I will have to open those pdf's manually.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2021 13:11 Edited at: 30th Oct 2021 13:19
softwizz,

what happens when you toggle Vew>Windows>Show/Hide Help Window?

and, pressing F1?

all the other options seem fine? i (sometimes) have an issue with steam icon in the system tray where the dropdown context menu isn't scaled correctly. my pointer will be on Exit (last item) but Community will be highlighted (about 2/3's down the menu). i'm assuming its because i'm scaling @ 150% on a 55" TV and not sure what the display settings are but expect it's all to do with my own issue

otherwise, add it as a bug on the repository.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2021 13:38
I often get a mis-click in Studio, where clicking a menuitem, checkbox or edit field and the click will not register and have to click a second time, and I know a few other users have mentioned this but never have I encountered clicks being completely ignored.

Do you have a default application set for pdf documents? (I know, you probably do, I am clutching at straws here)

Just to be sure, when you click the menu item, the menu closes, right?

if the menu closes then the click is registered and (I assume) Studio calls OpenBrowser ... so there may lay the problem

Run this in an empty project.... What happens??

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2021 20:40
Virtual Nomad:
Toggle the help window just clears what is in the window. but if I click 'Command Help' from the help menu it opens back up and show that.
pressing 1 does nothing but if a keyword is under the mouse it's help is shown in the help window.
Regarding scaling the menu item turns blue when hovered and the menu closes when an item is clicked.

PartTimeCoder:
Adobe reader is the default pdf reader.
the menu does close when clicking an item
I ran your code and an empty black AppGameKit screen opened then closed but nothing else happened.
I checked the paths where correct.
I changed the last line to open the 'tips.html' file in that path and this did open that page in my default browser.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2021 21:01 Edited at: 1st Nov 2021 21:03
Quote: "It's the download version."

sorry, i still struggle with what that means (because both are downloaded?). but apparently purchased from TGC vs Steam?
my steam location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio\media\Help

include that in your report on the github
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2021 21:41
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
OK .....

So as I suspected the IDE is fine, events are being processed the problem is either in the OpenBrowser() command, the pdf files or the fact AdobeReader is the default, mine just open in Chrome, I am also wondering if your system AV or file shield is preventing AppGameKit from opening the files..

Hers is a couple more things to try if your willing

1. Set Chrome, Edge, Firefox or what ever browser you use to the default PDF reader, most read them without need of a plugin

2. if that fails, Disconnect from the internet, then disable for AV/File Shield or other system security (Please disconnect first) and try again.

Results?

My money is on Adobe Reader .....
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2021 21:52
What elevation mode (Admin) are you using to run AppGameKit?

I found some info on ShellExecute (what AppGameKit calls internally in OpenBrowser) and Adobe reader concerning "Protect Mode"

Quote: "The reason why ShellExecute cannot launch the PDF viewer from an elevated process, in this case, is because Adobe Reader is preventing it via its Protected Mode. To solve this issue disable protected mode by doing the following:

Open Adobe Reader.
Choose Edit > Preferences...
In the Categories list on the left, select Security (Enhanced).
In the Sandbox Protections section, deselect Enable Protected Mode at startup
Click OK to save the changes.
Close Adobe Reader.
For more information about Protected Mode (and possible vulnerabilities) refer to this link from Adobe.com: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AppSec/protectedmode.html"
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 17:54
purchased from TGC
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 18:00
I don't have those options in adobe reader preferences.
I changed the default app to open PDF's to firefox and the menu items now work
Should I report this as a bug?

Thanks for all the help
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 18:26 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2021 18:27
OK well those settings must exist somewhere because they are blocking the execution, read this page for more info

Is it a bug .... To be honest I see this as a Adobe issue but TGC can fix it by implementing OpenBrowser in a different way, currently it calls ShellExecute on the path provided but it should be grabbing the default browser from the registry and sending the path as an argument in ShellExecute, I guess this is an outer edge case that most users would not encounter... so sure yeah, report it, TGC can decide what to do about it, if anything

When you report it, link to this thread.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 18:28 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2021 18:31
Quote: "Should I report this as a bug?"

it wouldn't hurt but we may try to confirm that it's an issue with studio vs adobe reader for others, first. reader is a finnicky creature...(one that i avoid).

meanwhile, mark your previous "changed the default" to browser as the answer?

@PTC, are you sure studio uses OpenBrowser for these vs ViewFile or some other (non-agk) command?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 19:16
PartTimeCoder wrote: "Run this in an empty project.... What happens??"

Softwizz wrote: "I ran your code and an empty black AppGameKit screen opened then closed but nothing else happened."

Elementary my dear Watson, As sure as I can be without seeing the Studio code, ^^ that confirmed it in my mind though.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 19:19 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2021 19:34
Quote: "Elementary my dear Watson"

you're smarter than you look. good thing

but, still :

@Softwizz, if you have a minute, return adobe reader as the default pdf reader, then:

ie, if ViewFile works, it's what Studio should use (and we can suggest it).
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 19:56 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2021 20:11
It might be ViewFile but wont make a blind bit of difference, they both call ShellExecute with the same arguments but OpenBrowser prepends the HTTP part if missing, this is the only difference (source code: WindowsCore.cpp OpenBrowser Line 9462, ViewFile Line 9612)

Interestingly though, OpenBrowser does already contain the code to grab the browser path from the registry but its been commented out for some reason.

The reality is though, OpenBrowser is broken

View File: Opens the given file in an the external application suitable for its file type. Typically this is a default app chosen by the user.
OpenBrowser: Opens the default browser of the current platform and points it to the page given.

OpenBrowser is wrong, the commented code does what the help says, the current implementation is the same as ViewFile ie: opens the given file in an the external application suitable for its file type

Edit: if anything try it (both Open and View) but without the "file:///" part, the code checks for ":" and if not found will prepend "http://"
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2021 20:33 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2021 20:59
Quote: "but without the "file:///" part"

OK, as a test I dumped a .xml file into an open project and gave OpenBrowser the full path, it opend in NodePad++ as my system settings, so I gave it a local path (omitting the ":") and it opened in the browser so it seems prepending the "http" does force the browser to take operation of the file, so OpenBrowser does work as intended but that beggs the question, why it does not work with Acrobat Reader installed ... so I'm installing it now ... will get back to you when I am less confused!

Update: Installed Adobe Reader, set all security options on, opened Studio and hit the menu, first run popped a dialog to select app to open with, next runs all open fine in Reader, I can not make it fail from the menu

Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2021 04:18 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2021 04:24
The Exterminator wrote: "I can not make it fail from the menu"

<< that's the closest i could find to Bug Spray

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2021 05:05
Lol, well as Softwizz got it working and I hate anything Adobe (except Mixamo, of course) I will not feel bad for putting this one to bed.

Thanks for the badge, next one, Dev Team! lol
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2021 12:02
Quote: " next one, Dev Team!"

you have my vote!
Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2021 14:54
The viewfile code did nothing.
I found enable protected mode in Adobe settings but this made no difference.
I use Adobe Reader X and there was an option to add pdf's or folders to a list that is exempt from the advanced protection mode so I added the relevant folder to this list.
There was also a 'set default pdf handler' option that only offered Adobe Reader X as an option so clicked 'apply' and it set up / installed something.

Now when selecting the menu items in AppGameKit it opened microsoft edge but I did not have it installed so I installed it and the menu items opened in MS Edge
I then set the default app to open PDF's back to adobe reader as edge changed it and uninstalled edge.
Now the menu items work and open in adobe reader.

So it is not a fault / bug with AppGameKit Studio and was obviously some strange thing with windows / Adobe / MS Edge.

Thank all of you for your help.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2021 15:04 Edited at: 6th Nov 2021 15:05
glad it's working for you. a couple of users on discord advised that they have no issue using adobe reader as default (same as PTC above) with the final comment suggesting resetting the default to reader again. regardless, you're in business = good

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:17:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:17:51