Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / not understand the export

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Having two main tools on hand - DBPro and AppGameKit Classic - I can not understand the export. How do I export a model or small level to X format?
Can you tell me how export commands are written?
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 15th Nov 2021 16:14
There aren't any actual export commands in AGK/DBPro. Ca you elaborate on what you want to do. DBO -> X , OBJ? Converting from DBO to a format has taken me several years to perfect (or very close to). To read DBO format you need to understand the embedded codes.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Lidot
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, Bored of the Rings!
I understand you, thanks for your reply! And I would like to purchase your DBO to X conversion solution.
Just tell me the price. You can in private messages, if convenient. Regards.
Lidot
Years of Service
User Offline
All that is available to me now are these executable compilations. They refer to a catalog with a huge number of individual polygons that make up the entire level. And I would like to get a whole object of this level.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2021 18:05
Well DBP has a function for saving Mesh / Objects., but it only supports the proprietary DBO Format.
It's honestly that not complex a format...
Essentially it's just the Object Memblock Format., just with some extra components for things like Animation, Audio, Textures, etc.

When it was developed it was a double-edged sword... as from a Loading perspective it was much quicker than other formats, basically because it could just be shadowed directly to memory with an associated ID and the Engine was "Good to Go" as it were; rather than converting to how DBP used things.

Still the lack of complete documentation on it, meant that supporting it as an I/O Plug-In for your favourite Modelling Application was somewhat of a nightmare.

This said, there is nothing stopping you from creating a Custom Importer / Exporter Function; provided you understand the Format that you're Exporting From or To.
There is for example Wavefront OBJ Importer Function Code samples for both DBP and AppGameKit that I've written, just to showcase how simple it is to write such functions....

With this said... perhaps a more important question would be "WHY, do you need such?"
Remember that the FPS Creator and GameGuru (both of which are the only products with Media Packs in DBO Format) restrict the usage of said Media to those Products... so while TGC haven't historically stopped people from doing it, keep in mind converting them and using them elsewhere would be a violation of the License Agreement.
Lidot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2021 19:32 Edited at: 15th Nov 2021 19:44
Quote: "With this said... perhaps a more important question would be "WHY, do you need such?"
Remember that the FPS Creator and GameGuru (both of which are the only products with Media Packs in DBO Format) restrict the usage of said Media to those Products... so while TGC haven't historically stopped people from doing it, keep in mind converting them and using them elsewhere would be a violation of the License Agreement."

Raven, thank you for your reply!
Bored of the Rings said correctly - I need the "DBO-to-X" function (or "DBO-to-Obj").
But I'm not interested in entities - I only need static elements! That is, the interior itself, segments.

Lee Bamber is certainly right to impose restrictions. But these limitations mirror those in relation to FPSC as well. Because, for example, there could be more characters thanks to free models. But people just don't make them for such a closed environment.
The exact opposite example can be given from the world of Unity-Unreal.
Characters and other models that are made for one editor are easily applicable in the second editor. Thanks to the easy compatibility, both tools eventually have a huge asset base.
Lee Bamber would do well to think about this fact.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 15th Nov 2021 20:09
@Lidot: I will PM you a link soon to the DBOFastReader which will convert any DBO -> X and OBJ (including both static and animated objects). Obviously, OBJ will be static.
If you want the AutoWelder program which converts fully textured FPSC levels, I can also send you a PM with link.

The DBO format stores animation , skin weight, material , texture, bone etc info. I may at some point, create a tutorial on how to convert DBO->X/OBJ using the embedded codes e.g. 101 = Frame Name, 301=Bone Name, 141=Texture name and many many more.. With DBO->OBJ some static objects where there are multiple meshes, had to have tranformation matrix applied to them otherwise they model outputs incorrectly. There are a lot of hurdles I had to overcome. Of course, this is all done using fast pointers/arrays and a lot of patience and a lot of programming skill.

I'll send you links to you via PM shortly.

Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 15th Nov 2021 20:26
@Lidot-PM sent
Lidot
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Lidot-PM sent"

Bored of the Rings, great thanks for you! I replied to the PM!
Lidot
Years of Service
User Offline
On the clean version of fpsc without updates, the export worked perfectly!
It remains to understand how to connect textures.
By the way, with the update Black-Ice-Mod model Obj turns out to be unreadable.
And in general a great job! It's a pleasure!

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 16th Nov 2021 10:08
looks good, did you use my color RGB code I recently posted? - if so looks cool.

I didn't think FPSC black ice mod version read in OBJ format? If so, I'll have to check out a later version of BIM
Lidot
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " did you use my color RGB code I recently posted? "

Bored of the Rings, I don't know about codes, to be honest. I just ran the app and it did everything automatically. I didn't see any settings there.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 16th Nov 2021 14:48
PM'd you the link to Autowelder 2.7 (for now as there is a v2.9, but needs more work). Also sent link to your GameGuru account PM.
Have fun with them both. AW has a heightmap to GameGuru importer, which is pretty cool.
Lidot
Years of Service
User Offline
Bored of the Rings, great, great, great!!! Superb! Thank you for your talent very mach!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:00:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:00:55