Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / AppGameKit Studio finally works on Kubuntu

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 19:39 Edited at: 20th Nov 2021 08:51
Hello, first time user of AppGameKit Studio and new to this ecosystem in general. Half an hour or so ago I downloaded and successfully launched AppGameKit Studio.

AppGameKit Studio opened and everything seemed to worked, until it didn't. The first thing I did is to go to File -> New Project.

A new window appeared with 2 input boxes, one for the Project Name and one for the Project Location. I named it Test and I clicked the button to open up a File Explorer to choose the location of the project.

It open a new window but it didn't properly read my files/folders, it was only reading the Home folder and in that only the Music and Pictures folders for some reason.

I was like we can fix this later lets just try the engine for a bit in the Music folder. So I selected that Folder and click create Project and nothing happened. Nothing was created and no notification or some kind of popup on what's going on.

So I decided to look on the Guides on the right panel of the Editor to see if there is a special guide for Linux and suddenly AppGameKit Studio crashed.

So I restarted the machine and Launched again from Steam, same problem.

I then just went into the folder and run it manually from there and for some reasons everything worked (well not everything, now the button to select the Folder Location doesn't do anything, but if you provide a path manually it will work just fine).

So I did the first thing that is a must for any developer that wants to learn a new language or framework. I created the infamous Hello, World program!

Hope this will help someone that might find himself in a similar situation. Also keep in mind that I still haven't tested a lot of things out such as importing assets, playing sounds etc.
So I might still find problems but I will be sure to try and fix them and upload it here.

Some info on my machine:

Kernel: 5.11.0-40-generic
DE: Plasma 5.21.4
WM: KWin
CPU: Intel i7-9750HF (12) @ 4.500GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q
Memory: 8 GB

EDIT

How to fix the above issues (for why and what happened you can find more info in my comments bellow):

If you are on a Kubuntu or Debian based distro follow step by step and you will be good to go.

1. Install zenity: sudo apt-get install zenity

2. Close AppGameKit Studio (if you have it open already).

3. Open AppGameKit Studio MANUALLY (not from Steam but from the folder that it's installed, you can find it easily if you go: Steam -> Library -> Right Click on AppGameKit Studio -> Manage -> Browse Local Files it will then open up your file explorer and in there you will find AgkStudio64, execute that and everything will work).

Additional info:

If you don't wanna open up the folder each time then you can create "shortcut" and open it up from there ( I will only mention how to do this if you are using KDE but keep in mind that you can do something similar with other DEs such as Xfce)

1. Right Click on the Application Launcher

2. Click on Edit Applications (a new window will appear).

3. Click your parent node (I clicked on Development for example).

4. Press New Item.

5. Give a name: AgkStudio

6. Right next to the name choose an icon (this is optional but it's a good way to distinguish from other apps on your system).

7. In the Command field give the path to the executable AgkStudio64 that you found earlier on.

8. Click on Save.

You just added it to your Application Launcher so you can launch it easily from there.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2021 20:12 Edited at: 19th Nov 2021 20:39
hi, 2FA

i'm glad you were able to resolve your issue and it might save you some hassle by setting a Default Project Folder under Edit/Preferences/Editor (near the bottom).

then, the next time you create a project, that field will auto-populate.

when you name the project, a new folder will be added under the default project location for you (you'll see the path below change appropriately as you enter the project name).

meanwhile, as a new user here, you're on post moderation meaning a moderator needs to manually approve (or disallow) the post.

i saw you'd posted 2 near-identical threads and i deleted the original, keeping this.

otherwise, welcome
2FA
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Virtual Nomad, sorry for the extra post it was a mistake on my part cause I didn't actually see the message that the first post was waiting to get approved by a Mod.

So I sent a new one and then I saw the message, went into My Threads and then I realized what happened but I couldn't delete the first one.

With that out of the way, I wanted to give a small Update to my post.

UPDATE

In my post I mentioned that if you open up AppGameKit Studio by yourself everything worked but not the choose your location button .

So basically I realized that everything that has to do with a File System doesn't work (for example Open Project).

I then opened up AppGameKit Studio through a Terminal to see if there are useful LOGS. As I clicked through buttons such as Open Project, Add Folder etc. I got some LOGS in the terminal.

The logs were saying that it couldn't find zenity (each time I clicked one of those buttons).

So I just installed zenity (for any Kubuntu or in general Debian user just do sudo apt-get install zenity) and I restarted AppGameKit Studio and all of those buttons worked.

Not only that but the problem where it couldn't find other folders than Music and Pictures (as I mentioned in my original post) was resolved. I found out that all of that is a Steam problem and nothing more.

I will Edit my original post with a basic guide of how to resolve these issues (if it's ok with you Mods) so people can immediately solve them and try the engine out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:06:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:06:57