Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] Text issues: Custom fonts not available, and cannot change font size on buttons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 18:58 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2022 18:59
Hi!

I'm trying to customize my menu scene!

I have two problems with the text:

1.) When I load a custom font (.ttf) into my media folder, I still don't get any option to change the font of a text objcet in the scene editor!

Why is that?

2.) The second problem I have is that I want to customize the text of my button.
It is way too small. I see no options to change the size, and again no option to change the font.
What can I do?

I also tried placing an image on top of the button to solve the issue.
However apparently virtual gui buttons seem to always be depicted on top of the sprites:

View in scene editor:

View in game:

Can I change the settings to place sprites on top of the gui?

I really want to make the virtual buttons work, to avoid having to create custom buttons using sprites, which would take much more time.

Any help is appreciated.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 20:44 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2022 20:59
i would use "" buttons and add Text Objects over top for complete control.

and, near-no experience with the scene editor but all the 2d stuff has Depth commands for layering.

this is the main reason i avoid studio. i want complete control over as much as i can. i understand the editor is handy but no placement editor (2d or 3d) is going to do everything i want and the studio editor is obviously lacking some of the basic stuff to boot.

so, either "very basic" using the scene editor, or cut the apron strings and feed your imagination

i should reiterate "near-no experience with the scene editor" where i know a few have more experience with studio (like jd_zoo and PartTimeCoder) and seem to prefer it. i have yet to give studio a real try/am just stubborn (or scared ).
jd_zoo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2022 23:53 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2022 23:54
You will have access to the font in AppGameKit, I expect you can use any font even image fonts but haven't tried it using text from a scene.

Wizard Ranch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2022 02:06 Edited at: 4th Jan 2022 03:01
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Virtual Nomad
I know very well where you're coming from, probably too well

If I had all the time in the world I would probably tinker as well with more coding.
But as for now I'm no immortal, so I use every help I can get (like editors) to finish my games faster

Finally I used a trick to place a sprite on top of the button:
I imported a second button, placed it on top of the actual button, and then changed the new button's image to the image of the sprite that I wanted to place on top of the first button.

Virtual Nomad, can you confirm to me that I understood you well? You said that if I create buttons within the script I can place and layer them behind normal sprites, correct?

As for the text fonts:
I was wondering why I couldn't change the text font as seen in the tutorial.
And I finally found out:
It's not enough to place the text font .ttf into the media folder. You also have to drag and drop it into the scene. After that the option to change the text font appears!

Thanks for your input, jd_zoo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 05:56:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 05:56:06