Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2022 16:36
Are there any plans for Metal support with AGK.

Wizard Ranch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2022 17:03 Edited at: 31st Jan 2022 17:04
I'm so sorry for the joke I couldn't resist.
Those on Amazon:
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2022 09:32
Yes indeed very amusing .
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2022 20:23
Are you looking for the specular or reflections?
If you want the specular then you need to create a normal map for your model
If you are loooking for reflections then you would need a shader.
I'm not sure there is a shader for reflections, Maybe check the SGK Shader pack
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2022 23:46 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2022 21:28
He's likely referring to 'Metal' the graphics API on Apple MacOS/iOS products (part of their shift as they've deprecated support for OpenGL among removing support and procedures for other technologies and options). Not sure how practical or worthwhile something like that would be at this stage. Especially considering Metal is also limited to Apple platforms only, so not cross-platform, unlike how much of AGK2/S is designed to be. It would require a separate dedicated rendering output path, shader system, etc, to support it natively. It's likely far more practical to try and support it through a compatibility layer like MoltenVK. Not sure how viable either option might be though, but maybe it's something TGC are considering. It'd be up to them to evaluate and comment on.

Edit: Corrected to Apple only products in general.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2022 06:04
It doesn't matter to me too much as I don't have an iphone however for people needing to publish to ios it must be a pain. I guess TGC will have to make metal available or change their advertising to "No support for ios".
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2022 06:53 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2022 09:34
No support for ios is a false fact. Apple still accepts apps that use only OpenGL ES. And Metal is not only for IOS but for MacOS as well.
TGC could utilizeMetalAngle. It translates OpenGLES calls to Metal. And you still get an extra performance boost.
So something similar could be done for Studio and Classic as well. Only a very few changes are needed.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2022 10:55
Oh right so I should imagine TGC could have this ready pretty fast when needed.
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2022 07:52
Metal is a MUST have at some point. OpenGL is already deprecated on Apple, so they will pull the plug rather sooner than later as Metal was introduced a couple of years ago. So at some point any app without metal support simply won't work anymore on iOS and MacOS.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2022 15:20
I was hoping that Vulkan on windows would be the norm but that does not seem to be the case yet and my reason for this is I get a pretty big gain in the fps department and the graphics are much smoother.
I've never produced anything for Apple yet but I would like to in the future maybe. At the moment I'm producing for windows linux and android which is awesome and all work great so can't complain .
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2022 17:13
Honestly I understand why Apple introduced Metal. It runs circles around OpenGL and is so much faster and cleaner.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:20:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:20:56